SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
1 week 4 days ago #40654 by tech-stitch
Interesting. Look forward to seeing if they tie the SIM to the IMEI like Metro does. P.s. if I managed to forget or read about this being done already, my apologies. Still, would be interesting to see if they notice reporting from the moolah app.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #40655 by scriptninja
In the Moolah app when you pair your sim, the data it loads is IMEI, ICC ID, and phone number. So that at least suggests the ability for them to know it. However, while it will be interesting to see how bingyee's experiment goes:
  1. Reported experiences so far suggest that they are not usually even bothering to make sure you're telling the truth when you claim you have the app installed, let alone that you have it installed on that phone, nor that you didn't just install it two minutes ago so you could truthfully tell them you had
  2. The fact that the app implies a future ability to pay other prepaid phone bills with M! credits suggests that even in the future, the paired sim / autopay ability specific to Surge (and other participating providers, if there ever are any) may be mostly for convenience, and as long as you're making and spending the M!100000, they won't actually care whether you did so on the device the sim is in. We can hope, anyhow.

• JS
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 4 days ago #40656 by JS
I ran the Moolah app for about a month before ordering Surge in order to see if I could stand the launcher. For the most part, the app was tolerable because there was never any ads. Mostly, I just saw a list of my apps with no icons. At most, I reached about 500 on their app. I cannot imagine ever reaching 100,000 in a month.

Prior to ordering, I asked whether a minimum number of moolah points was required each month. The response I got was a NO.

More
1 week 1 day ago #40694 by scriptninja
Well, I hope for the sake of early adopters that stands indefinitely. The information available on the Surge site is very limited, and the information on the Moolah site already seemed to purport that the arrangement is based on earning 100k/mo when I signed up even though that appears to be impossible, so I'm assuming that eventually I'm going to have to do that, at which point (especially if I can catch a flash sale or something) Red Pocket may become preferable depending on how the app progresses. We'll see.

More
6 days 3 hours ago #40722 by scriptninja
I just did my first renewal. Experience was almost the same as drysun's, except Juan asked my if I had the app installed first and then for my name and phone number, not name and address. Took only a few minutes, including waiting for Juan to connect and...what I think was about a minute between when I could see the updated totals and when Juan told me it was done.

One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned up-thread: I got a text from them yesterday evening reminding me my plan was about to expire, but not specifying when. My current 30 day period should be ending on the 14th. So...three business days in advance is okay, maybe?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
6 days 2 hours ago #40726 by KentE
scriptninja, did the agent allow you to do a renewal prior to the renewal date? I know that several folks previously have been told to call back on the renewal date.

The text notification is welcome improvement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
6 days 19 minutes ago #40732 by scriptninja

KentE wrote: scriptninja, did the agent allow you to do a renewal prior to the renewal date? I know that several folks previously have been told to call back on the renewal date.

The text notification is welcome improvement.

Unless somehow I managed to create my account on August 15 but have my first service period end on September 12, yes, I seem to have been allowed to renew before the Last Possible Day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
5 days 19 hours ago #40747 by drysun
I think they text 3 days in advance period. I was texted at the beginning of August when my first month was nearing the end. It was a Friday and I figured, well, I'll contact them Monday since I didn't know if anyone would be there on the weekend. Come Monday, my phone doesn't work. I chatted with them online and they renewed the plan, asked about app, etc, but didn't say anything about me missing the renewal date.

The second renewal, I think I did it the next day after I got the text. The totals added to the current amounts and I guess whenever the month ended, it dropped the previous months values (ie, at one point it said I had like 1800MB, then later dropped to like 997MB).

Bonus just for kicks, I did take the sim out and plop it into my T-Mobile testdrive hotspot they were giving out and it worked, no changes needed. Sadly, bands out where I live aren't that great so it can't show me the benefits of B71 (since it's not out here). Only B2/4/12 out here. After I finished goofing off with it for a couple days, I put it back into my phone with the moolah app.

More
2 days 3 hours ago #40802 by mmfacemm
Yes looks like they will do it in advance now. I did mine 2 days early and they processed it this time. Do note the expiry date is 30 days from the day you renew.

• JS
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 day 16 hours ago #40812 by JS
For those who used a new dedicated address when signing up, are you getting any spam emails from Surge or Moolah? I used an old address and am trying to figure out if me getting more junk mails nowadays is related or not.