SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #40363 by KentE
I am used to older phones that were cheap even when new, so perhaps the launcher will feel like an improvement. (Yay, a free upgrade!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #40375 by mmfacemm
Yes you are right the old allotments dropped off today.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #40417 by mmfacemm
I've been getting really bad speeds all of a sudden tonight. My other tmobile mvno line works fine. I'm seeing 0.2 MBps down and upload speeds versus the usual 30/10. Really strange. I have 380mb left so it should still work.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #40428 by GeorgeDog

mmfacemm wrote: I've been getting really bad speeds all of a sudden tonight. My other tmobile mvno line works fine. I'm seeing 0.2 MBps down and upload speeds versus the usual 30/10. Really strange. I have 380mb left so it should still work.

This happened to me last month on my first month on Surge. I was getting 256kbs. After 2 chats and 3 calls, I finally got to a person who escalated the issue and later let me know that, YES, they do throttle after the first 500MB. This was after at least two others had said that there was no throttling. I said that was not mentioned anywhere in their T&C or on their site. Just another sign that Surge is in need of a more professional system if they are to survive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, mmfacemm

More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #40432 by mmfacemm
thanks. yes just confirmed with support. there is no mention of that anywhere. Oh well.
Used 650mb day 1 so that screws me for the rest of the month.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #40433 by KentE
It should definitely be stated. But, I could probably muddle through with 256k-- I've managed to do so on Tello's 64k. (Using Puffin browser, and being patient.....)

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #40434 by tech-stitch
Oh, what awaits me on that Tello line... one of our lines switched to the 1GB option with the lower speed afterwards. Wats worst is that troubleshooting some data issues, we burned through about 300 mb just testing and re doing. Funny thing is that what caused the issues was the FreedomPop profile being installed on the iPhone using that line. I thought I had removed it but it was there and the backup kept restoring it. Now it's funny but then it was pulling hairs since first it would work with LTE and then it would just get stuck on 3G (once the profile was restored from the backup).

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #40436 by PEW
Oxymoron of SURGE. haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

• joeuser
  • joeuser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #40453 by joeuser
Well, I spoke too soon about my 3rd month renewal going smoothly.

The day after my renewal via a chat session, I noticed my available texts, mins, and data went to 0 within my account.
I called Surge tech support, which was easy to do at this point, since all abound calls from my phone went directly to Surge.
The wisdom of Surge tech support was dismal to say the least. I was told I had used up all of my texts, mins, and data. They even told me about all of my calls of 1, 2, and 5 minutes for the month. After wasting my time, I said how does all those calls of roughly 300 minutes amount to 1000 minutes? Tech support was puzzled but insisted I used up all my balances.

Then it was 50 questions time again. Did I have the Moolah app, what's my full name and address, etc.
After all this, he reset my account. I had it on the screen and behold the new values were all wrong, 250 minutes, 250 messages, and 250 mb.
Then I had to explain what I really should have. After fumbling around for a few more minutes, he found the right plan and reset everything to the correct amounts.

I was away for a few days, returned. Tried to login to my account and could not.
I turned on my phone and it was set for emergency use only.
Then I had to contact tech support via chat to make my account active and give me the correct amounts again.
Of course 50 questions again.

While, my phone works again and I have the correct balances, clearly Surge isn't going to be a long term solution for me.
Contacting them once a month via phone or chat doesn't mean the new balances will be added to the account.
The Moolah app is unproven as to how much of my data is being collected and sold.
Now if they're throttling the data after the first 500 mb, that's something that wasn't disclosed to me.

The shame thing is I was planning on paying Surge $10 month for this plan, uninstalling the Moolah app and erasing the phone.
$10 is a good price for T-mobile 1000 talk, 1000 mb, 4000 messages. The phone service had been working fine for me.
But given the conditions, I don't want to take a chance their paid setup is no better than the free one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21, LouP, tech-stitch

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #40457 by drysun
Technically if you want to pay for the plan, ie, via credit card, I believe you can actually do that yourself without contacting them. When I played around with the account website when my plan was ready to renew, I noticed you could click "Add" and it gives you the option to pick a plan to increment your allotments. The only thing I don't like is no mention of expiration/when the month ends, so I don't know if it re-ups your month or just adds to the allotment for your current month.