SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39930 by mmfacemm
Yes that is confusing. It was pretty clear before.

$20 to start is getting too expensive for a risky venture. These mvnos need to realise that low entry cost will attract people to try it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39931 by realLexusl21
Didn't cellnuvo want $29 at first?

Could you imagine how mad people would be now if they did that?

Startups should cover third costs and try to get the most users

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39932 by joeuser
Hi, I found that my credit box had always indicated $0. A couple days before the free plan renewed my additional allocation was added to my account on top of my existing allocation. When the initial month expired, the initial allocation was removed, leaving just the new allocation. I never received any $10 credit, which I though I was supposed to get when initially paying $10 for the sim card. I believe the credit box will only go up if you add money or get credits from the Moolah software.

My 2nd month expires around Aug 20. So I'll report back. I hope the new allotment automatically gets added this time and there's no $10 charge since I'll faithfully kept the Moolah software running on my phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39933 by KentE
I really appreciate the info you early adopters have been sharing!

I'd been planning on moving one of my ex-Freedompop CDMA lines to Surgephone. When I looked at the site yesterday, I noticed the same confusing verbiage changes & increased startup costs. I called for verification that it's still working the same way with Moolah, and the CSR confirmed that. Without me asking, I was also told I'd need to call in each month to renew the free plan.

The CSR also told me some things that didn't really make sense to me: after ordering the SIM, I'd need to call back in to set up the account/SIM before the SIM arrived. If I wanted to port in a number, I'd need to activate a new number first, and then port the number afterwards. (?? Most GSM MVNOs don't like this......)

I'm not planning on using this as a primary phone. But, I do have nice, aged, clean, numbers from the old FP lines, and figured I might as well avoid the chances of getting a toxic new number.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #39945 by mmfacemm

joeuser wrote: Hi, I found that my credit box had always indicated $0. A couple days before the free plan renewed my additional allocation was added to my account on top of my existing allocation. When the initial month expired, the initial allocation was removed, leaving just the new allocation. I never received any $10 credit, which I though I was supposed to get when initially paying $10 for the sim card. I believe the credit box will only go up if you add money or get credits from the Moolah software.

My 2nd month expires around Aug 20. So I'll report back. I hope the new allotment automatically gets added this time and there's no $10 charge since I'll faithfully kept the Moolah software running on my phone.

Thanks for the update. None of it inspires confidence but as long as it works then all is well.

I questioned support about the $10 activation credit and they kept on saying that was the first month you got for free. They also explained that the moolah app gave $10 discount every month you had it running. When I said that if the Moolah app gives $10 off the first month then they haven't given me the $10 activation credit but they went back in a circle saying the first month is free and that is the activation credit. I just gave up. I suppose it makes sense that you need to run the app for a full month before you get any credit so that would apply to the renewal. But they weren't clear on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39948 by JS
Here is a link that still charges $10 for the sim. In case you think this that this might not be the same sim as the one that is now $20, the description given here is actually clearer than one the other page.

"Simply install our sim card in your unlocked GSM wireless device, activate, and enjoy SurgePhone. $10 per month! FREE by using Moolah App."

store.surgephone.com/collections/plans/products/value-plan
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #39950 by mmfacemm

JS wrote: Here is a link that still charges $10 for the sim. In case you think this that this might not be the same sim as the one that is now $20, the description given here is actually clearer than one the other page.

"Simply install our sim card in your unlocked GSM wireless device, activate, and enjoy SurgePhone. $10 per month! FREE by using Moolah App."

store.surgephone.com/collections/plans/products/value-plan

The sim is not $20 - it breaks down to $10 for the sim kit and $10 activation. I'm not sure if your link bypasses the activation charge or not but worth a try.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39951 by joeuser
Thank you JS. This gives me more confidence I won't be charged $10 when my plan renews in a few weeks.

More
6 months 1 week ago #40021 by drysun
Based on the chat I had to renew my plan, I assume they can't tell if you have the Moolah app installed or Moolah isn't reporting back to Surgephone (at least not yet). I asked if the app was supposed to give us a $10 credit so we can pick the plan ourselves. They told me I have to contact them every month. It looks like even if you want a paid plan, you still need to contact them to get the $10 credit added to your account.

Interestingly enough, I've had the app installed and I'm rarely seeing ads now. I've only accumlated ~1200 points in one month. Even though it is a spare phone, I do check it a couple times a day just to see if it's even getting ads.

Attachments:

More
6 months 1 week ago #40027 by mmfacemm
If you reset the phone the ads come back. At least they do on mine. But you may be happy with not having ads since that isn't a requirement for the discount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21