SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39784 by drysun
It should have auto-downloaded the APN profile to your phone. At least mine does every time I popped the SIM into a different phone.

I have:
Name: pwg mms
APN: pwg
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None

All other options say "Not set"

If someone has a different setting, I'd like to know, maybe I'd have better service? (I'm in a rural area so it seems T-Mobile is only so-so for signal for me).
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, mmfacemm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #39786 by mmfacemm
Mine uses:

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,ia
APN protocol: IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None

All other options say "Not set"

I'm getting solid tmobile speeds. Nothing auto downloaded. This was just the default apn in the APN list

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39789 by KentE
Wow-- it surprises me that both of those different APNs work okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39791 by drysun
That is interesting. I wonder if mmfacemm got a new SIM? Looks like the APN settings I'm using is used by a bunch of MVNOs I've never heard of.

Also interesting is that neither of us have an MMSC set, so I guess we can't do MMS? I never tried since I rarely text, but searching the internet, both the pwg and t-mobile APNs have the MMSC/MMS info set, so I suppose one could try setting that info and see if it works.

I don't see any real difference using different APNs, but checking the carrier map, I see why I have poor signal, looks like I am too far for it to reliably penetrate into buildings and I always tested inside my house.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #39792 by mmfacemm

drysun wrote: That is interesting. I wonder if mmfacemm got a new SIM? Looks like the APN settings I'm using is used by a bunch of MVNOs I've never heard of.

Also interesting is that neither of us have an MMSC set, so I guess we can't do MMS? I never tried since I rarely text, but searching the internet, both the pwg and t-mobile APNs have the MMSC/MMS info set, so I suppose one could try setting that info and see if it works.

I don't see any real difference using different APNs, but checking the carrier map, I see why I have poor signal, looks like I am too far for it to reliably penetrate into buildings and I always tested inside my house.

Mine has a separate mms apn. Don't know why it is done that way.
APN TMUS
MMSC mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Apn type mms

My sim was totally white with just the ICCID printed on it.

tmobile apns usually are pretty interchangeable so it doesn't matter too much. I've seen the pwg one used before. As well as the "wholesale" one. Not sure what the differences are or why different mvnos use different ones.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #39793 by KentE
drysun, I'm intrigued by the origin of the graphic you posted for coverage, as it has very useful information on what you might expect.
I tried to find something similar via
www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map?icid=WMM_TMNG_18NETWORK_6ZL2DGAPF3B15198
but don't get the breakdown by band, or the outdoor/auto/building breakdown.

Any chance you could give a pointer to where you got this breakdown?

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39794 by drysun
I claim no credit for this link as I found it on another forum somewhere a while back and bookmarked it, so I don't remember where I found it originally.

maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-noroam-34l

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39800 by mmfacemm
When logged in online there is a box for credit which currently says $0 for me since my renewal date is still 3 weeks away. I wonder if that will be refilled with $10 at the end of the month and then I would then click on the "add more" and then select the $10 plan to renew. Seems like the only way it could be done online without having to contact support.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #39801 by KentE
Thanks, drysun! That is a far more useful coverage map than the one I'd used before. I don't think I've ever seen that level of detail available.

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #39921 by JS
If you look at Surgephone's website, it **looks** like the Starter Plan is now $10 with the Moolah app installed instead of being Free. I contacted Surge who insisted that Starter is still free if Moolah is active on your phone. They did however raise the initial startup cost from $10 to $20 for the sim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm