SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
1 week 4 days ago #39378 by KentE
drysun, your Vzw Moto E4 is probably not VoLTE certified by T-Mobile. I had a similar experience on MINT with a factory unlocked phone that had both band 12, and was VoLTE capable-- but apparently was not certified for T-Mobile VoLTE, so wouldn't work anyway. (It also dropped back to 2G for calling.)

Thanks much for the detailed report!

T-Mobile does have an app that allows you to enter the first part of an IMEI and see whether or not it's VoLTE capable on T-Mobile:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.band12
It does not have to be installed on the phone you're planning to use.
There's probably an online check tool. somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #39379 by realLexusl21
Thanks for the report. Kind of you

More
1 week 4 days ago #39387 by drysun
KentE
Yes, since it is a prepaid Verizon version, I assume it's missing stuff to make it work right on other carriers. The unlocked E4 would probably work fine, but it was one of these deals a while ago where you could pick it up for $30 and then unlock it to use on GSM carriers (I had a Freedompop sim in there before). I used it as my main phone with RedPocket GSMA for somewhere between 6 months to a year when the Moto X4 deal came out (Best Buy, Sprint activation, $50, cancel Sprint, took me a while to get Sprint to clear all charges even though they had the 14 day satisfaction guarantee) and I moved my RedPocket sim to the X4.

lexusl21
No problem, someone has to take the dive. The real question is what happens in August when it's time for the free plan to renew.

• JS
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 4 days ago #39389 by JS
Lots of good info. Thanks everybody. Considering a Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 does not work properly, I will forego my idea of paying somebody to remotely unlock my Boost Moto E4 for use with Surge.

Looks like I have no choice but to wait a bit before considering Surge since I now need to purchase another device.

My hope is the Moolah app eventually improves enough so users have a reasonably satisfactory experience with the launcher. Yeah, I am rooting for Surge simply because I hope their business can survive giving users cellular service for no out-of-pocket cost.

More
1 week 3 days ago #39394 by drysun
It depends on how you plan to use it. I use google voice, so I could just skip the whole cell calls part on the E4 and just use data for google voice for calls, but since I have a main phone and this sim is just to test viability, I probably will only use it for things like google maps while I'm out. If you were planning to port a number to Surge (not even sure I saw an option for that), then it would sound like you want to make calls from your Boost E4 and it's probably like my Verizon E4 and does not have VoLTE support. Mine is very finicky and it seems like at least half the time it has problems trying to switch to 2g/3g to make calls and wants to stay connected to LTE, so it tells me cellular network isn't available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
1 week 3 days ago #39396 by KentE
In my area, T-Mobile still has reliable 2G voice. I could live without simultaneous voice and data easily enough.
drysun's Google Voice solutions offers another workaround. On the 2 phones I tried, LTE data worked fine on T-Mo network even without VoLTE support.

It still might be worth a try if you're comfortable with some mix of those workarounds, and can confirm the necessary components to make it work (T-Mo 2G coverage in your area, and/or bands for T-Mo LTE data).

• joeuser
  • joeuser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 1 day ago #39438 by joeuser
Just a brief update after 3 weeks of service on a Moto 5G Plus.
I’ll report back when my plan renews. I’m keeping my fingers crossed I don’t get charged $10.

Cell phone service
There’s been no service interruptions. Everything has worked as it should on a T-mobile MVNO.

Website Account Summary Page
The account page still doesn’t indicate when the plan renews but it shows remaining Min, Texts, Data.

Moolah App
There’s been 2 updates. The fake search bar has been replaced by small ads. The Moolah app moves my icons to allow room for the small banner ad. The banner ad changes every minute or two.
Overall phone performance with the Moolah app always running is surprisingly good.
The Moolah app still crashes from time to time, but less with the 2 recent updates.
On start up, the Moolah app always asks if I want to ask my contacts to join Moolah for 10,000 points. Since I have no family / friends / associates in my contact list for this phone, so it doesn’t matter but users need to press “no” each time they start the phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, jamielih, KBOrtega

More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #39439 by realLexusl21
Interesting, seems on a real phone. The app seems intrusive.

On a spare who would care.

Are the ads on 24/7?

"I only post/read on nthcircle forum"

More
3 days 16 hours ago #39535 by furgus8
Just an update on my experience...the app is slow and buggy. I got a text from surge yesterday saying my plan is about to expire. Add more minutes...I gave them an email and call and they responded

yes you will need to call us on or about that date to renew your plan.

I don't believe it automated at all, so you might have to call in every month to maintain the free plan. I'll find out in a couple of days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, jamielih, LouP, KBOrtega

More
3 days 15 hours ago #39536 by KentE
furgus8 , thanks for your initial thorough report, and the update. Please let us know how the renewal works out!

Having to call in to renew seems like a waste of company resources. I understand having to do it online, but at least that's no drain on manpower beyond the initial website setup.