Surgephone - new free mvno

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 1 day ago #38578 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Surgephone - new free mvno
Offer is not even competitive at 2GB level. Tello 2GB plan is $14 with no hassle/possible empty promise. So you would 'possibly' save just $4 a month comparing the 2.

As mentioned before, at unlimited data, you're better off with Sprint Kick Start @ $25 month.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 day ago #38580 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Surgephone - new free mvno

lexusl21 wrote:

lexusl21 wrote:

KentE wrote: From the fine print:
"Discounted plan pricing is based on the Moolah application being loaded and active on the device associated with your SurgePhone account. If the Moolah application is removed, disabled, altered, or inactive, your current plan cost will increase by $10/monthly. Such plan increase will be at the sole discretion of the Company, and will occur with or without notice."j

Not many reviews on the Play store, but one mentions excessive battery drain.

Interesting I was going to ask if we could be on another phone. The app separate from the one using the minutes. Too bad

Question:. I thought all you had to do is install the app? To get the free service?

Do you have to earn credits?

How does it work exactly?

I can't find details on how it works exactly.....
Installing the app is necessary to get the free plan, or the prices indicated on the other plan. The website prices reflect a $10 discount just for having the app installed and running.

The site is not clear whether the plan discount is in lieu of any earned rewards credits, or if you'll still earn points on top of the plan discount.

I suppose it's reassuring (?) that the Moolah app is listed on the Play Store. (Seriously, I'd worry about what this app does-- but at least it's not as scary as the Beast Mobile app, which isn't available on the Play Store, and has to be downloaded directly from the site.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38758 by LouP
Replied by LouP on topic Surgephone - new free mvno
I chatted with a rep (Juan) regarding the meaning of keeping the app "active" as a requirement for the $10 discount. I asked him if this required any minimum active swiping or interacting with the app per day.

His response:

"Actually no, you wont need to do anything with app, except to keep it installed in your device, and yes if the application is removed or even altered in any way it will stop you from receiving the monthly $10 discount but no you wont need to open it, swipe it or anything at all."

I odered a SIM for $10...I figured it is a small amount to pay to try it out. I will report back to let everyone know how it is working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, mmfacemm, realLexusl21

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38760 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Surgephone - new free mvno

LouP wrote: I chatted with a rep (Juan) regarding the meaning of keeping the app "active" as a requirement for the $10 discount. I asked him if this required any minimum active swiping or interacting with the app per day.

His response:

"Actually no, you wont need to do anything with app, except to keep it installed in your device, and yes if the application is removed or even altered in any way it will stop you from receiving the monthly $10 discount but no you wont need to open it, swipe it or anything at all."

I odered a SIM for $10...I figured it is a small amount to pay to try it out. I will report back to let everyone know how it is working.

Considering it is a home screen launcher it is open all the time...

Interested to hear your thoughts when you get started.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38763 by tech-stitch
2nd that! It is always nice to have alternatives when being frugal with phone service. Please keep us posted!

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38764 by idanth
Replied by idanth on topic Surgephone - new free mvno
Moolah App requires access to location. If access to location denied, you can not use the phone (Moolah launcher closes every app you are trying to open).

Also, Moolah app requires Usage access (collect statistics about usage of other apps - time, how frequently used etc.).

Moolah does not request access to Contacts or call logs.

Ads are not intrusive, Moolah Launcher is buggy but usable.

I am OK with these spying activities considering my usage pattern: I am going to use the phone mainly as Navigator and Google already knows my locations.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38773 by realLexusl21
Thanks

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38781 by CharlieB
Replied by CharlieB on topic Surgephone - new free mvno

LouP wrote: I chatted with a rep (Juan) regarding the meaning of keeping the app "active" as a requirement for the $10 discount. I asked him if this required any minimum active swiping or interacting with the app per day.

His response:

They told me the same thing and they were nice enough to send me the sim for free

:)

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #38782 by realLexusl21
Not sure I like the idea this thing spying on me 24/7

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #38787 by Nunodat
Replied by Nunodat on topic Surgephone - new free mvno

lexusl21 wrote: Not sure I like the idea this thing spying on me 24/7

Can't be any worse than other apps you use.