Tracfone 1 year plan

More
1 week 2 days ago #41572 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Yes to all !!

Additionally - I would rather go for the Redpocket services when their discounts may appear vs. anything using TF.

Sure, that will cost ~$100 more (in total) for the ~9 years, BUT:
It also carries a far lower risk factor AND=>
For me, it eliminates the extreme yuck factor of using TF - which compares closely with the idea of eating steamed lima beans, which may make good food for some but I ain't one of those !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #41573 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tracfone 1 year plan
Isamorph writes: "I agree. One could go poof, the minutes, data and years could go poof, so one would have to be pollyannaish to jump on this deal."

Agreed. And I'll even go so far as to suggest it should go poof.

Here's the likely explanation. Once in a while, something goes wonky with the Tracfone system, and a user "wins the Tracfone lottery", and gets something extra without paying for it.

(I'll probably make some mistakes here in details-- sorry for not spending the time to confirm details.....) A while back there was a system glitch where anyone changing from a non-Verizon to a Verizon-network Tracfone saw their existing buckets double. Most thanked their lucky stars and moved on. A few decided to take advantage of the glitch, and flipped phones back and forth to keep doubling the buckets.

If/when this phone gets noticed in a sweep & 'goes poof', the new owner will have absolutely no way to fight it, since they certainly won't have purchase indicators to back up the high totals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #41574 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Yep:

KentE wrote: Here's the likely explanation. Once in a while, something goes wonky with the Tracfone system, and a user "wins the Tracfone lottery", and gets something extra without paying for it.

Which is exactly the sort of thing I meant when I said this:

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: ...and I can just imagine if the TF anti-fraud measures got kicked in on that one, rendering it into just a paperweight !!

'Trust tracfone' is a phrase that is as oxymoronic as 'government intelligence' IMO !!

More
1 week 2 days ago #41575 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Tracfone 1 year plan
How those many minutes and years were acquired on these accounts, to begin with, is key? I can imagine someone getting a good deal on refill cards and buying them and adding them in bulk, but almost nine years' worth seems bizarre, so the lottery path seems likely. Once when we were getting our Tracfone credits restored, CS corrected things twice and we received 2 additional years to use our credits, which remained that way until we left Tracfone for greener pastures. After the fiasco of getting our credits correct, we didn't attempt to correct the years of service figure for fear of re-entering the Tracfone CS funhouse. So with Tracfone what can go wrong, will have a high probability of doing so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
1 week 1 day ago #41583 by Isamorph

joseph wrote: What's the best current deal or least expensive way to replenish service time to an existing Tracfone (Verizon network) that is about to run out of time but is very lightly used and has sufficient minutes/data?

TIA

If you have an eBay account, you can probably get an extra %10 off the below deal until the end of today.

www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepaid-Wireless-Smartphone-Plan-SIM-1200-Min-1200-Txt-3GB-Data/283493024108?hash=item420180416c:g:Nb0AAOSwp1Bc5a~n
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, joseph, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 week 1 day ago #41585 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tracfone 1 year plan

Isamorph wrote:

joseph wrote: What's the best current deal or least expensive way to replenish service time to an existing Tracfone (Verizon network) that is about to run out of time but is very lightly used and has sufficient minutes/data?

TIA

If you have an eBay account, you can probably get an extra %10 off the below deal until the end of today.

www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepaid-Wireless-Smartphone-Plan-SIM-1200-Min-1200-Txt-3GB-Data/283493024108?hash=item420180416c:g:Nb0AAOSwp1Bc5a~n

That listing is unusual for the annual plan-- it doesn't offer an option of picking carrier.

A better choice might be this listing, that does allow selecting carrier-- and importantly, the "I don't know" option.
www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepaid-Wireless-Smartphone-Plan-SIM-1200-Min-1200-Txt-3GB-Data/283448464240?hash=item41fed85370

I didn't get the 10% offer in my account-- which is probably good, because it makes it easier for me to resist buying this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joseph, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 week 1 day ago #41586 by Isamorph
That probably is the better option---the two ads seem identical except for that carrier selection window, which I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. In any case, both ads show the %10 off promo until it ends about 9 hours from now. $45 appears to be the best one could do for a year's extension.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
1 week 1 day ago #41594 by ZZWang
Replied by ZZWang on topic Tracfone 1 year plan
They are actually the same (if you pick I don’t know) since no way they can determine which sim to load. CS will say it is for new activation only but the pin works for topup.

More
6 days 8 hours ago #41620 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Tracfone 1 year plan

ZZWang wrote: They are actually the same (if you pick I don’t know) since no way they can determine which sim to load. CS will say it is for new activation only but the pin works for topup.

So you can top up an existing account without activating a new line?

More
5 days 23 hours ago #41621 by ZZWang
Replied by ZZWang on topic Tracfone 1 year plan
Yes. I topped up recently using both PIN cards bought from ebay without problem.
For the listing with options, make sure pick "I don't know". (I would prefer to order this one to be safe)
The other listing doesn't specify network. I actually ordered by mistake. But it works for top up also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE