Another MVNO exits the market (partially)

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #37282 by LiterallyUnlimited
www.boom.us/index.php?filters_sent=yes&p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=6&f%5BNETWORK%5D%5B%5D=BOOM+Yellow&f%5BPLAN+TYPE%5D%5B%5D=4G+Plans

Boom! Mobile has ceased offering their service on Yellow, AKA Sprint. All Boom! Yellow customers will be transitioned to Ting CDMA and will receive a special offer ($20 unlimited talk/text/data) via email to either continue their service or port away to another carrier. This offer is ONLY available to Boom! Yellow customers.

Boom! Blue and Boom! Red customers are unaffected at this time. However, if any existing Boom! Red customers want to switch to Ting CDMA, I can see if we can take advantage of this or a similar offer. Just DM me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: I_one_2, st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37284 by mmfacemm
Vulture clean up crew is here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37285 by I_one_2

LiterallyUnlimited wrote: www.boom.us/index.php?filters_sent=yes&p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=6&f%5BNETWORK%5D%5B%5D=BOOM+Yellow&f%5BPLAN+TYPE%5D%5B%5D=4G+Plans

Boom! Mobile has ceased offering their service on Yellow, AKA Sprint. All Boom! Yellow customers will be transitioned to Ting CDMA and will receive a special offer ($20 unlimited talk/text/data) via email to either continue their service or port away to another carrier. This offer is ONLY available to Boom! Yellow customers.

Boom! Blue and Boom! Red customers are unaffected at this time. However, if any existing Boom! Red customers want to switch to Ting CDMA, I can see if we can take advantage of this or a similar offer. Just DM me.


Thanks for the info. You guys (Ting) should create a promo offer for people approaching the end of their Sprint 1 year free. Some may not want to stick around when the price increases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37286 by KentE
Wow-- I thought Boom was considered relatively stable.
I was not aware that they offered Sprint network, though-- was this relatively recent?

From reading your post, Literally_Unlimited, it looks like Ting is offering a special plan for those needing a new home? I think this may be a first for Ting. (And well outside the normal Ting price structure.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #37287 by LiterallyUnlimited

I_one_2 wrote: Thanks for the info. You guys (Ting) should create a promo offer for people approaching the end of their Sprint 1 year free. Some may not want to stick around when the price increases.


Let's be real, though. People on the Sprint 1-year-free generally wouldn't like our pricing structure. And you're right -- they generally wouldn't be expected to stick around.

KentE wrote: Wow-- I thought Boom was considered relatively stable.
I was not aware that they offered Sprint network, though-- was this relatively recent?

From reading your post, Literally_Unlimited, it looks like Ting is offering a special plan for those needing a new home? I think this may be a first for Ting. (And well outside the normal Ting price structure.)


The earliest references I can find to Boom! Yellow are from mid-2017, so I'm not sure exactly how long it's been around.

And yes, the special plan for those needing a new home is unusual, but not a first for us. It's <1000 customers affected by this that we expect to stick around, but the special pricing is something new we're trying, akin to our unlimited pilot plans or the $25/30GB. You've got to try new things or you'll be forced out of the market.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, I_one_2, st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37288 by Chelle

mmfacemm wrote: Vulture clean up crew is here.


I wouldn't characterize them as vultures. They provide a soft landing for those who are affected by the death of an MVNO.

I look at them as the folks who clean up the crime scene after everyone else leaves. If they don't do it, who will?

If it was a lucrative thing to do then competing companies would be offering similar options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo, I_one_2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37289 by mmfacemm
Vultures are very misunderstood birds and are vital to the ecology.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37293 by LiterallyUnlimited
I can assure you it's nowhere approaching lucrative to pick up the pieces after an MVNO very suddenly exits the market. It's a LOT of work, and many don't end up sticking around after the credit we inevitably provide runs dry. (Because some cannot help but mention RingPlus in every thread in Ting's orbit)

I think the reason we end up doing it all the time is there isn't another established brand with the customer support system and back-end software knowhow to do it without much (or any) service interruption to the end customers. Are any other companies filling this void?

Please recall that the alternative is the MVNO very suddenly telling all its customers that they need to port out ASAP with most/many just losing their numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle, Diedrich_Duo, st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #37294 by st3fx
$20 unlimited talk/text/data sounds interesting. High speed data?

Not currently a Boom Red customer, but I can become one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #37295 by LiterallyUnlimited

st3fx wrote: $20 unlimited talk/text/data sounds interesting. High speed data?

Not currently a Boom Red customer, but I can become one.


As best I can tell, yes. But this guarantee is literally only for existing Boom! Yellow or unhappy Boom! Red customers. Sadly, but probably not surprisingly, there isn't a way to start up a Boom! Red account or number now, after the expiration of Boom! Yellow plans, to get in on the special Boom! Yellow deal.

I suppose your best hope is to bet on your existing Sprint MVNO exiting the market and letting us swoop up their customer base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.