Glove Compartment Mobile Provider Recommendation

More
4 months 1 week ago #33303 by SuccessOne
I have a few Tello accounts. What happens if you don't use it for 90 days? No, Tello won't cancel or expire it. It just automatically sends text messages to your phone every so often to keep it active. It does it automatically if there was no activity over 90 days. This is from my personal experiences. Of course, terms are subject to change should businesses determine it to be necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, joseph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33305 by Chelle
FWIW, Piranha Mobile only requires you to make one call every 420 days. I don't think anyone can beat that. If ever there was a glove compartment friendly cellular service, that would have to be it.

When I got my SIM it was free, with $2.99 shipping. I'm not sure what it costs, nowadays, though.

I put $15 in PAYG credit on it, so startup costs were pretty low.

They did change networks, earlier this year, but they sent me a new SIM at no charge.

I also have a Truphone SIM and the free incoming calls is a nice feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joseph

More
4 months 1 week ago #33306 by KentE

SuccessOne wrote: I have a few Tello accounts. What happens if you don't use it for 90 days? No, Tello won't cancel or expire it. It just automatically sends text messages to your phone every so often to keep it active. It does it automatically if there was no activity over 90 days. This is from my personal experiences. Of course, terms are subject to change should businesses determine it to be necessary.

I was entirely unaware of this-- thanks! That is about as proactive as a company can get to benefit customers, since the line would stay live until eventually running out of PayGo credit to charge against. .(And it's not the first time I've seen Tello bend over backwards to be customer-friendly in their pricing structure.)

The Tello PayGo glovebox phones in our household are easy for me to access & I have a calendar reminder set to remind me to use them bi-monthly-- but if the phone was with someone not living in my house, this is a great feature.
My $10 Paygo credit could stretch out to a maximum of 250 years of 'standby' time. Probably be safe to assume changes to the policy, the company, or the network would make that time span unlikely. (In actuality, both of our Tello PayGo lines have intermittently been used as our main lines.....)

There are some great suggestions in this thread!

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #33307 by KentE
joseph asks: "How do TracFone brands other than Page Plus compare as far as cost?"
PagePlus is cheapest for ultra-low use.

Tracfone is cheaper if one uses somewhere around 50-100 minutes/month average. The startup cost is higher, since the most economical purchase is to buy a year of access. Standard cost for a year with 1200/1200/1200 (yearly total) is around $100-$130, although it's possible to get that down to around $65 or so (with far fewer minutes) by working the system carefully, and to around $40-50/year by working the system very, very, thoroughly carefully..

The other Tracfone brands (Simple Mobile, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, Net10) are all geared more towards standard users who need a fair amount of data (1gb/month & higher) & talk/text, and would not work for your description.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33314 by Chelle

KentE wrote: The Tello PayGo glovebox phones in our household are easy for me to access & I have a calendar reminder set to remind me to use them bi-monthly-- but if the phone was with someone not living in my house, this is a great feature.

I keep my Tello PAYG lines alive by using the Tello app. I haven't turned on the actual phones in well over a year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, joseph

• joseph
  • joseph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
4 months 1 week ago #33317 by joseph

SuccessOne wrote: I have a few Tello accounts. What happens if you don't use it for 90 days? No, Tello won't cancel or expire it. It just automatically sends text messages to your phone every so often to keep it active. It does it automatically if there was no activity over 90 days. This is from my personal experiences. Of course, terms are subject to change should businesses determine it to be necessary.

If I'm understanding this correctly, what you're describing would effectively mean Tello accounts never expire even if never used.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33325 by KentE
fff

joseph wrote:

If I'm understanding this correctly, what you're describing would effectively mean Tello accounts never expire even if never used.

Yes, as long as you have a balance in your PayGo account, and Tello continues to provide the user accommodation of making the required every-90-day-use for you. Since it's not in their official policy that they will do so, that accommodation could go away at any point. Better to count on using Chelle's method of using the Tello app to make a call every 90 days via remote, and hope that SuccessOne''s experience works the same way for you if you forget to do it. (The cost is minimal-- $0.03/minute, or $0.01/text, regardless of whether you do it, or Tello kindly texts your phone to keep it alive.)

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #33332 by mmfacemm
Interesting. I've never received one of those Tello texts. I have gone over 90 days on one account and nothing happened. I didn't want to push my luck though so sent a text a few days later. No idea if Tello actively cleans up old accounts.

• joseph
  • joseph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
4 months 1 week ago #33341 by joseph
From everything discussed thus far it appears that Tello is by far the last expensive, at 3 cents per minute. Thus if the Sprint network works for you and the 90 day usage policy is acceptable, Tello is the way to go.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33342 by SuccessOne

joseph wrote:

When Tello does that to your inactive accounts, it'll deduct 1 cent for each text to keep it active. So eventually your account balance will be winding down until you add more. I forgot how many texts or how many times it does that when your account is over 90 days without activity. To be safe, if you were to keep it for emergency, I'd check my account every month or so to make sure have enough money in the account so that the phone is useable in event of an emergency. Bear in mind, at some point, your balance will go down as result of Tello texting an inactive account. And if your data is turned on, be aware that t'll burn data in background, thus using your balance even faster.