Best deal with hotspot

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 1 week ago #33271 by PEW
Best deal with hotspot was created by PEW
Looking for suggestions of either Verizon or Sprint based service with 2gb data a month with tethering...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #33272 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Best deal with hotspot
Unreal Mobile, $15/mo includes 2GB LTE, unlimited 2g, and hotspot. (Sprint or AT&T)

Pix Mobile, $20/mo includes 2GB LTE, unlimited 3g (128 kbps, I believe), and no hotspot, but PdaNet+ can rectify that. (Verizon or Sprint)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, joseph

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #33273 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Best deal with hotspot
If you haven't checked it lately, Dennis Bournique's Plan Finder at prepaidcompare.net has lots of improvements, and is pretty wonderful. (Thanks, Yeswap!)

I don't know how many minutes/texts you might need, but other possibilities include
Tello (Sprint): $16-19 plus tax/fees, for 200-to-unlimited minutes.
Twigby (Sprint with limited VZW roaming), $19 plus tax/fees inc. 200 minutes, stepped up from there.
Red Pocket (VZW, 12-month) $19.08
Red Pocket (Sprint, 12 month, via ebay) $19.08 with 5 GB
Gen Mobile (Sprint), $20 + taxes

None of these beat Chelle's suggestions for simple month-to-month cost with a particular network, although the Red Pocket Sprint plan has more than twice the data for a few dollars more per month..

Re: Plan Finder-- you can designate carriers, hotspot requirements, whether iOS imessage is supported, roaming, 2G fallback-- and each provider line can be clicked on to get more info that isn't easily charted, including whether taxes/fees are additional or included.

More
1 month 1 week ago #36540 by 112059
Replied by 112059 on topic Best deal with hotspot

Chelle wrote: Unreal Mobile, $15/mo includes 2GB LTE, unlimited 2g, and hotspot. (Sprint or AT&T)

Pix Mobile, $20/mo includes 2GB LTE, unlimited 3g (128 kbps, I believe), and no hotspot, but PdaNet+ can rectify that. (Verizon or Sprint)

I just activated an Unreal mobile sim and it won't let me turn on the hotspot. Any ideas hot to use my android Moto G4 as a hotspot?

More
1 month 1 week ago #36541 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Best deal with hotspot

112059 wrote:

Chelle wrote: Unreal Mobile, $15/mo includes 2GB LTE, unlimited 2g, and hotspot. (Sprint or AT&T)

I just activated an Unreal mobile sim and it won't let me turn on the hotspot. Any ideas hot to use my android Moto G4 as a hotspot?

As far as I know, using one's phone as a hotspot on "Unreal" is not available yet. Perhaps PdaNet+, as Chelle has mentioned, will allow you to use your phone as a hotspot.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdanet&hl=en_US

community.unrealmobile.com/discussion/179/is-mobile-tethering-active-or-going-to-be-active-soon
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

More
1 month 1 week ago #36543 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Best deal with hotspot
I'm out of state, right now, and that phone is back home. I don't remember having to use PdaNet for hotspot but I suppose it's possible.

I've been using the app for so many years that it may not even register when I start it up.

More
1 month 1 week ago #36544 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Best deal with hotspot
The quote below is from "Unreal" on 2/28/2019. I canceled my "Unreal" account over a month ago, so it's possible, but highly doubtful, that the hotspot option is now available.

"The ability to use your phone as a wifi hotspot is currently unsupported. Please stay tuned, because this may change in the future."

support.unrealmobile.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3677/~/wifi-tethering%2C-blocked-calls-and-other-features

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 1 week ago #36546 by PEW

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #36549 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Best deal with hotspot
Strange that hotspot is unsupported on Unreal, while unsupported-but-working on FreedomPop.
(On FreedomPop, hotspot works with most factory unlocked phones, because those phones don't "phone home" to see whether or not hotspot is authorized. I think I read something once about later stock Android versions supporting "phone home" checks, but can't confirm it.)

@112059 I'm curious if your G4 is factory unlocked, or started life as a carrier-branded version?

More
1 month 1 week ago #36556 by 112059
Replied by 112059 on topic Best deal with hotspot

KentE wrote: Strange that hotspot is unsupported on Unreal, while unsupported-but-working on FreedomPop.
(On FreedomPop, hotspot works with most factory unlocked phones, because those phones don't "phone home" to see whether or not hotspot is authorized. I think I read something once about later stock Android versions supporting "phone home" checks, but can't confirm it.)

@112059 I'm curious if your G4 is factory unlocked, or started life as a carrier-branded version?

It is factory unlocked for all 4 networks. It was used on T-mobile then to Sprint postpaid, but they won't allow it back on postpaid. I have tried everything to get it back on postpaid and gave up so it's now on Unreal mobile to test their service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE