Recommendation for two lines of service

• joseph
  • joseph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #32469 by joseph
Another advantage of Unreal, as far as pricing, is that it includes 1 GB of LTE data and unlimited 2G data in the $10 plan. Tello's 1 GB equivalent plan would cost $14 but wouldn't include the unlimited 2G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 days ago #32471 by mmfacemm

joseph wrote: Another advantage of Unreal, as far as pricing, is that it includes 1 GB of LTE data and unlimited 2G data in the $10 plan. Tello's 1 GB equivalent plan would cost $14 but wouldn't include the unlimited 2G.

Tello includes 2g.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joseph

• joseph
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #32472 by joseph

mmfacemm wrote:
Tello includes 2g.

Thanks for the correction. Does both Tello and Unreal's unlimited 2G run at a speed of 64kb?

More
5 months 3 days ago #32474 by Isamorph

joseph wrote: Another advantage of Unreal, as far as pricing, is that it includes 1 GB of LTE data and unlimited 2G data in the $10 plan. Tello's 1 GB equivalent plan would cost $14 but wouldn't include the unlimited 2G.

Other advantages of the Unreal $10 plan is the unused data rolls over to the next month where it is added to the next month's 1 GB. Also, there is no tax on the $10 Unreal plan. If one just wants T&T without data, then, Tello, as mentioned, might be the better alternative.

More
5 months 3 days ago #32475 by KentE

st3fx wrote: I am not sure what if any device restrictions Unreal has for BYOP (CDMA/Sprint).

For the flip phone unlimited voice, you will pay more for Tello, but there will no headaches if you have to swap device, contact support, etc.

Good point.
I tried running a pair of seriously old 2g feature phones on both Unreal & Tello.
Unreal's test tells me that it can't determine, and asks me to contact customer service.
(I tried both MEID Hex, and MEID DEC-- one is old enough that the hex had to be determined by an online converter.....)

The same 2 phones clear just fine on Tello. At an additional cost of $1/mo, with the much better self-service and agent service available from Tello, it seems like a great option. (I believe phone swapping in particular is a pain on Unreal.) Tello's current promo (through 12/23) is first month for $5.

More
5 months 2 days ago #32478 by 112059

KentE wrote: The Sprint Dura phones get very high marks for everything except weight and bulk. They're built like tanks.
I wish RingPlus Social was still accessible, as there was a really good discussion about Sprint flip phones there. I bought a couple of used ones for a friend's parents a couple of years ago, about $27 each via a good ebay seller.
I think the Sanyo Katana (used) was mentioned as being another good choice, less bulky and lighter. I don't remember whether is was affected by the single-band issue, though.

Unreal is real cellular voice on their Sprint-network BYOP plans, but VoIP on the AT&T SIM plans.

Here is one conversation from social. I'm sure there were more.

web.archive.org/web/20170211140806/https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/2894/recommended-phone-for-calling-only
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
5 months 2 days ago #32497 by KentE
Thanks, 112059! The one I was trying to remember is mentioned in that archived thread-- the Sanyo Pro 700A.
I remember someone bought several of the recommended flip phones & did a comparison review. The DuraXT would have come out on top in that review, but for it's size and weight. (Worth it if you need it's mil-spec ruggedness. water resistance, and loud speaker,, though.) I think the Pro 700A might have been the one the reviewer liked.
The linked thread also mentions a couple of GSM models, although one should do enough research to confirm 3G capability now if considering AT&T use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

More
5 months 2 days ago #32541 by KentE
Another GSM provider option for the flip phone user would be FreeUp Mobile. Their $10 plan includes unlimited talk/text. The cost could be defrayed if someone wants to take charge of printing coupons via a smartphone or desktop, and get the cost down to $3/month, but I think joseph may be indicating he doesn't want to have further interaction. (Based on printing 1 coupon a day, which is all most of us have been able to get working.)
I have no GSM dumb phones to test on their BYOD test page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, joseph

More
5 months 2 days ago #32546 by mmfacemm

KentE wrote: Another GSM provider option for the flip phone user would be FreeUp Mobile. Their $10 plan includes unlimited talk/text. The cost could be defrayed if someone wants to take charge of printing coupons via a smartphone or desktop, and get the cost down to $3/month, but I think joseph may be indicating he doesn't want to have further interaction. (Based on printing 1 coupon a day, which is all most of us have been able to get working.)
I have no GSM dumb phones to test on their BYOD test page.

Interesting. It was 1000 mins a week or so ago.

• joseph
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #33211 by joseph
I ended up choosing Tello's $11 unlimited T&T plan for one line. For the second line I chose Unreal's unlimited T&T + 1 GB LTE & unlimited data for $10.

Since the first phone's a flip phone and needs no data, I preferred Tello's responsive service and automated account functionality at a very slightly higher cost than Unreal. For the second line I needed some data and Tello's equivalent plan would be $14 + (about $3) tax versus $10 even, so I chose Unreal's lower priced plan.

Thanks again everyone for contributing suggestions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle