Google Fi

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 days 8 hours ago #31963 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Google Fi
Moved to a better Sprint coverage area... now doing the maximize coverage, it gives me a message that it's not able to maximize coverage and to call customer service... :(

Still think it has to do with the SIM being rejected by Sprint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 days 8 hours ago #31966 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Google Fi
Curious as to what phone you're using on Fi?

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 days 7 hours ago - 6 days 7 hours ago #31967 by PEW
The Moto G6 that was on special for $99.

Looks to me the Fi SIM is not recognized on Sprint.

I guess I met the activation requirement and should port to Mint with the $20 ebates...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
6 days 7 hours ago #31969 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Google Fi
I thought Fi was supposed to automatically connect to the best signal of the three networks or wifi that the phone detects. So if the Sprint signal in your area is weak or non existent, the phone will connect to T Mobile, wifi, or US Cellular, or whichever one of these has the best signal. But you would think you could manually force it to connect to Sprint, provided that the signal is strong enough for connection. Maybe the sim is defective.

More
6 days 7 hours ago #31971 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Google Fi
Prob need support to reprovision the account or something. Enjoy the long wait. How are you liking FI otherwise?

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 days 7 hours ago #31972 by PEW

Isamorph wrote: I thought Fi was supposed to automatically connect to the best signal of the three networks or wifi that the phone detects. So if the Sprint signal in your area is weak or non existent, the phone will connect to T Mobile, wifi, or US Cellular, or whichever one of these has the best signal. But you would think you could manually force it to connect to Sprint, provided that the signal is strong enough for connection. Maybe the sim is defective.

Wont connect manually to Sprint.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
5 days 9 hours ago #32011 by PEW
Google Fi support had me order a replacement SIM (free) and to give that a try when it comes in.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
5 days 9 hours ago #32012 by PEW

mmfacemm wrote: Prob need support to reprovision the account or something. Enjoy the long wait. How are you liking FI otherwise?

Not really, T-Mobile is great at home and Sprint at work, without both working, I'm better off with just Sprint (because I can do wifi calling via hangouts at home)

More
14 hours 45 minutes ago #32234 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Google Fi
Mine defaults to sprint at home even though I really have a poor signal (data speeds under 1Mbps, 1 bar LTE). I can force it to tmobile but every now and then it switches back to sprint. Tmobile speeds are 50Mbps+ and 3-4 bars. Not impressed with the tendency to connect to sprint no matter what.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
13 hours 28 minutes ago - 13 hours 25 minutes ago #32239 by PEW
OK, I think I gave it a go and it's just not working out. In addition to the Invalid SIM message, FedEx has spent 2 days trying to find my house (how did they deliver the first SIM?). After around a week of "service", I canceled my service, got a discounted G6, thank you Google. Sigh...

My charges:
$22.54

Refund:
Calls & texts
Credit for 26 days 8 hours of service (Dec 11 - Jan 7)
($16.98)

Net cost of my Project Fi experience... (yes, I am calling it Project Fi because it apparently is still in Project stage)
$5.56 + 8mb of data use