Ringplus is back (The domain is anyway)

More
1 year 2 months ago #28916 by sovashadow
Apparently ringplus.net is now some sort of audio service? Go figure, I am interested to see what karl is thinking. I hope he knows though the name has already been taken.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #28925 by joseph
RingPlus' social forum was up for a long time. When did it disappear?

More
1 year 2 months ago #28933 by realLexusl21

joseph wrote: RingPlus' social forum was up for a long time. When did it disappear?

That is a question for some of the ex mods that frequent this forum

More
1 year 2 months ago #28934 by joseph
It's a shame. The social forum had a ton of still useful information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21

More
1 year 2 months ago #28936 by realLexusl21
The ex mods tried to keep it open for that very reason.

I guess they can explain better then me.

I believe it was closed suddenly
The following user(s) said Thank You: subho

More
1 year 2 months ago #28943 by KentE
I know there are those here who still harbor ill will about R+, and I don't really want to enable that debate: but I'll offer my thoughts on Social.

Karl wanted to keep Social open and available as long as possible. He really did believe in the benefits of a social atmosphere, and the power of crowd-sourced knowledge. He also thought that MVNOs in general were an important alternative to the Big 4 offerings. After the demise of R+ as a provider, he hoped to keep the Social forum as a viable entity, and to let the members and other MVNOs take it where it fit best.

Social had never been a very technically stable platform-- it seemed to require regular maintenance, and there were frequent outages-- as well as the fixed costs of providing the site. The thought was to monetize Social through co-promotions with other MVNOs (as with SpeedTalk and TPO), to hopefully get some assistance from other MVNOs that didn't have their own forums (& admired Social), and to use site banner advertising.

This seemed to be a win-win-win situation if it worked. Users would get special rate offers, other MVNOs would get direct communication channels with users and prospective users, the accumulated knowledge would remain available & grow.

Site traffic fell off steeply, though. I suspect that the last time the site broke and needed significant maintenance, it just wasn't viable with the income it was generating.

I'd like to offer special recognition to all the Social members who shared their expertise, knowledge, and experience to make Social a great source of information about how networks work, about technical issues, about solving device-specific issues, about VoIP, etc. Karl mentioned to the mods several times that other MVNOs, and Sprint itself, were impressed by the Social forum.

In one particular instance where a Sprint network-wide glitch caused massive problems across the entire Sprint network, Karl told the mods that the Sprint Tech team was particularly impressed that the Social crowd-sourced forum was coming up with work-arounds and solutions that they were having trouble coming up with. The strength of Social even helped RingPlus in contract negotiations with Sprint.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #28947 by joseph

PA345NH wrote:

joseph wrote: It's a shame. The social forum had a ton of still useful information.

web.archive.org/web/20170215231500/https://social.ringplus.net/categories/community/

A big part of social's usefulness was the ability to Google search useful information contained in it. The WayBack Machine lacks that important ability.

More
1 year 2 months ago #28950 by Diedrich_Duo

PA345NH wrote:

joseph wrote: It's a shame. The social forum had a ton of still useful information.

web.archive.org/web/20170215231500/https://social.ringplus.net/categories/community/

Wow! Don't know how or where you got that link, but THANKS!!! Almost like back in the good old days...