Google Voice VoIP calling is here for all, at last

More
1 week 5 days ago #34068 by Isamorph

PEW wrote: Why turn off wifi calling and set to use carrier only? I though we would want to use wifi calling.

I suppose someone who, when wifi is unavailable, would have to turn it off in order to call using the cell plan, if they have one. Also, someone with an unlimited cell phone plan might prefer using cellular calling, while someone who has an unlimited calling plan but poor reception at home and/or work would want to keep wifi calling on when at those places. As long as one has wifi at home, one could likely use a GV app phone with no plan or sim as a free home phone, save for times when the power or internet goes down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #34069 by joseph
Do you have to reboot your phone for the update to the app to be effective?

More
1 week 5 days ago #34070 by KentE

PEW wrote: Why turn off wifi calling and set to use carrier only? I though we would want to use wifi calling.

q

I don't have the update yet, but I'll speculate a few possible reasons:
It seems inadequate to me to have only the choice of "prefer WiFi or data". I might prefer WiFi, but I don't want to have to remember to change settings every time I leave WiFi range, or risk using my small data allowance for voice.

I also wonder if battery life is impacted by selecting WiFi/data preferred.
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

More
1 week 11 hours ago #34196 by Isamorph
Just saw a tweet from GV project manager Scott Johnston who said the GV VOIP update is 100% done. My phones now have the update and the option to use VOIP, and yours should have it too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 week 11 hours ago - 1 week 11 hours ago #34197 by Chelle
I don't have it, yet. And Google is down.

Play Store, Google Drive and Gmail aren't working for me across all my devices and a variety of internet connections.

On Google Drive I can see my files but I can't open them.

Downdetector.com verifies that Google is having problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
1 week 11 hours ago - 1 week 11 hours ago #34198 by Isamorph

Chelle wrote: I don't have it, yet. And Google is down.

Play Store, Google Drive and Gmail aren't working for me across all my devices and a variety of internet connections.

On Google Drive I can see my files but I can't open them.

Downdetector.com verifies that Google is having problems.

Don't know if Google is down in specific areas, or what, but all my Google avenues are working fine. The Voip update is a big one, and may have caused some problems, due to demand, for Google in certain areas. I know of others on other forums who have received the update today.

More
1 week 10 hours ago #34199 by KentE
I received the update, but won't try the new features for a few days.
Voice, GMail & the Play Store are working for me-- haven't checked others. At least it's not universal-- but it's particularly problematic when we become so dependent on a single avenue for multiple tasks.

More
1 week 10 hours ago #34200 by Chelle

KentE wrote: I received the update, but won't try the new features for a few days.
Voice, GMail & the Play Store are working for me-- haven't checked others. At least it's not universal-- but it's particularly problematic when we become so dependent on a single avenue for multiple tasks.

It's back, for me, but still no update.

More
1 week 10 hours ago #34201 by Chelle

Chelle wrote:

KentE wrote: I received the update, but won't try the new features for a few days.

It's back, for me, but still no update.

Okay, my update just went through. Google Voice even works on my Fire Tablet, now, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph

More
1 week 7 hours ago #34207 by lexusl21
If you have gv setup not to ring your main cellphone number. Will the update ruin that setting?

How do you know if you have the. Right update VoIP?

Wonder why Hangouts had VoIP wifi for many years but gv app did not