Google Voice VoIP calling is here for all, at last

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33889 by PEW
Now I remember why I did not like GV... Can't call out on a phone without a cell #. (Can't call out without first confirming the device's phone number)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33900 by LouP

PEW wrote: Now I remember why I did not like GV... Can't call out on a phone without a cell #. (Can't call out without first confirming the device's phone number)

you no longer need to confirm the cell phone # of the phone to use the new GV app.....you can even activate it on a phone with no cellular service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Isamorph, peterquinn

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33902 by PEW
I tried with a FP LTE SIM using the phone dialer but it would not dial out... maybe I am missing something...

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33904 by Isamorph

PEW wrote: I tried with a FP LTE SIM using the phone dialer but it would not dial out... maybe I am missing something...

For a long time now, if you have the Hangouts dialer app installed, you can use a phone with no cell service or no sim in it to receive calls or or call out over wifi using your GV#. When we get it, the updated GV app should allow the same.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33911 by Isamorph
Re: Having a confirmed number. I was just looking at Scott Johnston's, head of the GV app update, Twitter feed concerning the VOIP update, where he said a confirmed # would still be needed with the GV app Voip feature, but it is unclear to me if he was talking about a confirmed cell service # and/or a confimed GV #, for one can use Hangouts wifi calling without anything but a GV #, which of course would have to be confirmed. Someday soon when someone actually has the updated voip app, we shall see.

Scott Johnston

"You will still need a verified number with VOIP"

The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33912 by KentE
I wonder if Scott Johnson is referring to the verified number needed to sign up for Google Voice, rather than implying that the device used with Google Voice app must have active service.

A verified phone number has always (to the best of my knowledge) been required to sign up with Google Voice. That number doesn't have to be in active use with the Google Voice app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #33913 by Isamorph

KentE wrote: I wonder if Scott Johnson is referring to the verified number needed to sign up for Google Voice, rather than implying that the device used with Google Voice app must have active service.

A verified phone number has always (to the best of my knowledge) been required to sign up with Google Voice. That number doesn't have to be in active use with the Google Voice app.

That's my take. Someone on Twitter had asked Johnston if the window where a user was asked to verify the phone would disappear once they had the GV Voip update, and he, Johnston, said what I posted above, which could have been clearer, I suppose. I guess he was saying what you mentioned, and the devil is in the details, details that are often restricted by Twitter's format.

Edit: I should have read further, for, yes, Scott Johnston was referring to to the verified # when signing up for GV.

Scott Johnston

"You will still need a verified number with VOIP"

"Replying to @ao9news @paxxman and 2 others
ultraklystron Retweeted Scott Johnston
You just were contradicted (or perhaps I was imprecise with my phrasing): … ??

ultraklystron added,
Scott Johnston

@happyinwater
Replying to @karlrolson @hallstephenj
You will still need a verified number with VOIP
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply 1 Retweet Like Direct message

Scott Johnston

@happyinwater
Jan 25
More
Ah, sorry, misunderstood. You need the number to sign-up for Voice, not to make a call once you are verified."

UPDATE: Scott Johnston said 4 hours ago: "Still rolling out (controlled on the server side, not via app update). We might not get to 100% this week. I'll Tweet once we finish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #33928 by Isamorph
Said 25 minutes ago by Scott Johnston from Google:
Replying to @paxxman @karlrolson and 2 others
"Controlled on the server side, not by the app version. It looks like the roll-out won't finish this week, so will continue into next week."

Don't know, but I have yet to see one person who has reported having received the updated GV Voip App.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33929 by PEW
I think I have it.

Attachments:

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #33930 by woo_24
I have the same version on my phone but no VOIP yet, so don't think so...

I also have some iOS devices, those don't have VOIP on Google Voice yet either.

On my laptop, the option is grayed out in the settings (and no reference to VOIP). I don't think it's rolled out to my account yet:
Attachments: