Google Voice VoIP calling is here for all, at last

More
More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #33817 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks for sharing this news Isamorph !!
Full wifi calling is always a great thing.

Considering the power, size & wealth of the big G - it sure has taken them a very long time to get around to this.

The last somewhat similar attempt was 'google phone', and since it required Android 7 I never tried it.
( play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer )
It'd be great if this latest thing will work on version 4 and up, so as to be a help for folks still using older phones - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for such a kind blessing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33818 by joseph
Why would this be better than how GV worked till now?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33819 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Do you have full calling abilities via the GV app on a smartphone right now ??
(I have it on 2 wifi-only devices & they do not have such abilities.)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33822 by Isamorph

joseph wrote: Why would this be better than how GV worked till now?

Like "Hangouts", which may be going away soon, GV now has Voip abilities that it didn't have in the past. I have also heard that its voice quality has been improved. People who have bad cell reception in their homes or wherever can benefit from the integrated GV app, assuming they have a good wifi connection.

"The Google Voice app has never supported VoIP. Hangouts has but Google is repurposing Hangouts as a G-Suite enterprise IM app. This Beta suggests that Google plans to move Google Voice VoIP calling out of Hangouts and into Voice.

The Hangouts Dialer for making VoIP calls using your Google Voice number has been available to everyone since 2014.

What's new is that the Google Voice app will be getting the ability to make VoIP calls too." ---Dennis Bournique
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33824 by PEW
I do not like Google Voice because it was not able to let me do group SMS. It would split the message into multiple separate SMS, which makes group discussions impossible.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33825 by Isamorph

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Do you have full calling abilities via the GV app on a smartphone right now ??
(I have it on 2 wifi-only devices & they do not have such abilities.)

I don't think so in that the option to choose "prefer calls over wifi and data" doesn't show up on my phone yet. But then I still have my GV app connected to my Hangouts app. I believe the article mentioned that many will not receive the voip capability for about a week. Given the tons of data Google has collected from users over the year, when it comes to announcing new features, etc., they provide very little data of their own about their plans. But what phones will work with the new GV voip app remains to be seen, yet it will be nice to set up a phone with no calling plan and use it with the full GV voip features for free. And I suppose one could keep a cheap data only sim in the phone for emergencies with no wifi at hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33826 by Isamorph

PEW wrote: I do not like Google Voice because it was not able to let me do group SMS. It would split the message into multiple separate SMS, which makes group discussions impossible.

Google's "Messages" attempts to cover your need.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en_US

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33827 by PEW
So now it takes 2 apps to get the same features?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #33828 by joseph

PEW wrote: I do not like Google Voice because it was not able to let me do group SMS. It would split the message into multiple separate SMS, which makes group discussions impossible.

I believe GV does group SMS.