CircleNet Paygo VOIP

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #27995 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP
From recent conversations, I believe als has no Sprint or T-Mobile coverage at his current location, and at least workable VZW. I don't know about AT&T.

That Ubiquity device looks pretty nifty..... I've only read a little, and it looks like one of it's main features is timed transmission. It says it produces good latency, but I'm curious whether the timed packets would be workable for VoIP...... (It wouldn't be needed for where Chelle seems to be heading, though.....)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #27997 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP
I admit that I am not well versed with the myriad of voip options. I have an ooma system and it just works but the taxes/fees keep creeping up. All the extras are expensive so I don't subscribe to any of those. I bought an obihai 200 when it was on sale but never got round to setting it up. I guess I should do sometime rather than let it sit in a drawer.

So would this circlenet be useful for me or are there other cheaper/better options to pair with the obihai. I guess google voice and a e911 service would be the easiest/cheapest set up. Any advantage to using circlenet?

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #27998 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Hi Mmfacemm.
We considered replacing our Obi110 & GV with a used Ooma when the recent changes were announced.
Their porting fee as well as the monthly fees were the roadblock for that though.

As for using an Obi200 with GV vs. Circlenet - it depends upon your goals & needs, really...
If the extra functions that GV provides are not needed or wanted, there is that part - but the biggie IMO is:
The very high likelihood that Obihai will forcibly obsolete the 200 series next - at their convenience.
(There is also the question of what changes may come from the buyout by Polycom ??)

Personally, if I had a spare Obi200 that I wanted to put into service, I'd make the GV account(s) according to my needs, then add a (non-GV) VOIP forwarding number & set that up on the box so as to avoid any circular motions being forced upon me later on.

The monthly costs for a Circlenet DID & low usage are really trivial until one wants more stuff than just the base functioning - same goes for adding a number from Callcentric - which can be 100% free for incoming only (unless they changed that since I last used a number from there...?).
Example:
We have low cost cellular that works at home, so the added charge for e911 is not needed - but that can be considered as an add-on when it comes to VOIP.

• als
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #28000 by als
Replied by als on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP

Chelle wrote: @als

Do you have a good feel for which cellular providers have good coverage in your area and which ones don't?

VOIP doesn't use much bandwidth so there could be some very inexpensive hotspot possibilities that you could use.

Thanks, My providers change frequently, as do my work assignments.
Last year for 5 months , Verizon was the only possibility. This year, March thru June, I had the joy of having Bluegrass cellular which MVNO's do not support, but was able to make calls only from inside my rv with Tmobile.
Now I'm back to Verizon coverage, but my tracfone verizon says that I am roaming and will not connect.
att coverage map shows coverage in parts of my area, but co workers are unanimous in saying verizon is the best you can get here even though it is spotty.
Some of the most beautiful spots in this country, where we tend to seek to work at, have limited or no cell, wifi, or internet coverage.
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. It is frustrating to be out of touch.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #28003 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP
Technically, Verizon isn't activating any more of these, as of July 1st, but if you can still get your hands on an unlimited 3g hotspot, on eBay, that's going to be your best bet.

They should offer coverage for the next 12-18 months and only cost $5/mo plus the cost of the device.

I can tell you, from first-hand experience, that the 6620L works far better than any of the other hotspots. I can get 2.4 Mbps on it when my other Verizon hotspots don't get any signal whatsoever.

If you can still find one and can afford the $100 cost, you can't beat unlimited Verizon for $5/mo.

And I don't have any trouble using VOIP over it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #28863 by Frasier1
Replied by Frasier1 on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP
How do I check my voicemail via phone on CircleNet? When I call my own number, it doesn't know its me and asks me to leave a message. I tried interrupting the message buy pushing * and # but neither one worked. I can leave a voicemail and I can check it by having a sound clip sent to my email, but I can't figure out how to check it by phone. Any advise?

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #28864 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP

Frasier1 wrote: How do I check my voicemail via phone on CircleNet? When I call my own number, it doesn't know its me and asks me to leave a message. I tried interrupting the message buy pushing * and # but neither one worked. I can leave a voicemail and I can check it by having a sound clip sent to my email, but I can't figure out how to check it by phone. Any advise?

I think E_Z will probably be able to answer your question and will come along soon and do so. I don't know what plan you have with CircleNet, but below is a link from the Obi forum where they said they do not offer voicemail with the $1 DiD numbers plan.
, but that was in 2016. You could also look for an answer to your question on the DSL voip chat forum threads, where info about CircleNet can be found. Also, I understand that CircleNet has good CS. Good luck.

Edit: here is a recent CircleNet thread with a little info about voicemail. From what I gather, it may not be working yet.

www.dslreports.com/forum/r31901222-CircleNet-has-returned-queue-the-ominous-music~start=180

www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11017.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #28889 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Greetings Isamorph & Frasier1 !!
I generally have little need to listen to VMs as the transcriptions to email are usually enough for me, but...
When I do it is either by just dialing my own GV number via the Obi connection or via the forwarding cellular phone & the most it demands from me is the PIN.
This may have changed somewhat recently as I've not used it very lately so I'll have to test it again;
OK, glad I did & none too soon either !!

Results:
Direct GV # - busy signal & Circlenet DID# - also busy signal.

Looks like I'll be depending upon the other means to check VM from now on as this number is mostly used for outgoing anyhow.

Another option that I may test soon is the free version of Groove IP via Android to replace the annoyance of TextNow (that cancels numbers EVEN with their paid version).
Its been a while since I used it, but their site is still up & their app is on G. Play as well as Amazon so I'm guessing it still works, but will wait to see if they reply to my emailed query.
( snrblabs.com/GrooVeIp/ )

More
1 month 1 week ago #34396 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic CircleNet Paygo VOIP
CircleNet announcement:
www.dslreports.com/forum/r32293439-CircleNet-announcement

"We have decided that we will not be taking on any new customers, we will continue to take payments and provide service to existing customers until 1/1/2020. After that date we will keep our servers up and allow customers to spend down their balances until 1/1/2021. That should give two years notice."

More
1 month 1 week ago #34431 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
It is quite sad to see this happening again - they are entirely decent folks & have worked very diligently to provide the most affordable VOIP services.
They have also been amazing in the customer service realm.

I certainly hope that a way may come along to keep Circlenet going, somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, st3fx