Swappa-purchased iPhone is now blacklisted

More
1 week 6 days ago #47209 by Isamorph
@Aurmin

Just in case you haven't seen the following about "activation lock"on iPhones.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201441
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aurmin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aurmin
  • Aurmin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 3 days ago #47271 by Aurmin
Has anyone had experience with this Swappa FAQ re: blacklisted phones: “In the rare event that an ESN is blocked or blacklisted outside of PayPal's 180-day protection window, the seller is expected to provide a reimbursement for the market value of the device or a comparable replacement device to the buyer, assuming the buyer is not at fault according to our policies. If a seller is uncooperative, many payment sources (e.g., banks, credit card companies, etc.) offer additional protections that can be taken advantage of. However, these should only ever be considered if PayPal's protections cannot be used.”
swappa.com/faq/answer/imei-blacklist-future

If so, can you please share the outcome?

How would a user even leverage the FAQ/guideline outside PayPal’s 180-day protection window?

By the way, I called T-mobile and the CSR informed me that my iPhone 8 Plus’s IMEI is not blacklisted on T-mobile. The IMEI also passes AT&T’s and Sprint’s IMEI checker. The IMEI only currently fails in Verizon’s and Swappa’s checker.

More
1 week 3 days ago #47273 by bingyee
Do you have the A1864 or A1897 version of the 8+? The A1897 is gsm only and doesn't work with Verizon, even if unlocked. It was not designed to work on Sprint either, although it might be OK now that they have merged with T-Mobile.

• Aurmin
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 3 days ago #47274 by Aurmin

bingyee wrote: Do you have the A1864 or A1897 version of the 8+? The A1897 is gsm only and doesn't work with Verizon, even if unlocked. It was not designed to work on Sprint either, although it might be OK now that they have merged with T-Mobile.

It’s an A1864. The seller states he last used it on his Verizon account and swears he didn’t report it stolen. He was the 2nd user of the iPhone, stating that he was selling it for a family member. It was advertised as a Verizon iPhone (I’m guessing since he was able to use it on Verizon?) when I purchased it.

All I know is that this phone was blacklisted after I purchased it—now I know to check a Swappa-purchased phone’s IMEI in Swappa’s checker before the 180-day PayPal protection period ends.

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #47275 by KentE
This is still odd to me. Isn't ESN blacklisting a universal process that would apply to all carriers? I don't understand how only Verizon and Swappa would report it as blacklisted, while other carriers do not.

Have you asked Swappa how you can get a "universal blacklist" result that is not universal?
Either Swappa or Verizon, or both, really need to give a better explanation of this.

I note that the screenshot of Verizon's check tool does not say 'blacklisted'. If they were ready to activate it for you, it's not blacklisted by the database they're looking at..

• Aurmin
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 3 days ago #47276 by Aurmin
@KentE I reached out to Swappa staff but the response was not helpful. I asked which IMEI database that Swappa uses in light of: only Swappa indicates that the phone is blacklisted and Verizon website says I can't activate but can trade it in.

This was Swappa's response: "We use different resources. But a device can be blacklisted for many reasons. Please see our FAQ: swappa.com/faq/buy/imei_blacklist_future "

I'm tempted to start a Verizon line just so I can prove/disprove the Verizon CSR who informed me that I can start a line on their network.

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #47277 by st3fx
@Aurmin
Please also check your IMEI with Visible: www.visible.com/shop/compatibility

If you have or know someone with an active Verizon or Visible SIM, you can swap it into your phone and see what happens. If the phone is truly blacklisted, then it should be blocked from accessing the network.

ETA: Have you already done GSX check?

• Aurmin
  • Smoke Signals
  • Smoke Signals
More
1 week 3 days ago #47279 by Aurmin
@st3fx Which GSX check site do you recommend?

Below is the Visible IMEI check:

Attachments:

More
1 week 3 days ago #47293 by st3fx
@Aurmin Thanks for this info.

Are you able to check IMEI/MEID with a Sprint(CDMA)-based carrier like Tello/Twigby?
tello.com/bring_your_own_phone

I noticed sprint.com now redirects to t-mobile.com.

I haven't done a GSX check in a while, so I can't recommend any particular site or ebay seller. Paid $1-$2 each.

More
1 week 2 days ago #47296 by st3fx