Google voice questions

More
6 days 17 hours ago #31 by ajzwilli
Replied by ajzwilli on topic Google voice questions
Thanks John - i had to toggle it on the web as the app wouldn't save the settings.  Working now!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 days 11 hours ago #32 by Phoniac
Replied by Phoniac on topic Google voice questions
I have been trying to get this to work but am totally stumped.  The part that I can't wrap my head around is this one - 

Calling seems to be working - when I place a call from google voice, it dials a unique number for each contact and I can make the call with wifi shutoff (and I know I don't have data on the FreeUp free plan).

What does "unique number for each contact" mean, and where is it stored? 

Can someone please share instructions on how to call in the absence of data/wifi using Google Voice?   Step-by-step instructions, ideally!  :-)

All help very much appreciated.

More
6 days 7 hours ago - 6 days 5 hours ago #33 by Mohitvermaji51
It's a free service to sign up for, and as long as you use it to communicate between your Google Voice number and other U.S. numbers, it's totally free to place calls and send text messages.  mybk-experience.onl mc-d.uno

More
6 days 4 hours ago - 6 days 2 hours ago #34 by rolandh
Replied by rolandh on topic Google voice questions

Phoniac wrote: I have been trying to get this to work but am totally stumped.  The part that I can't wrap my head around is this one - 

Calling seems to be working - when I place a call from google voice, it dials a unique number for each contact and I can make the call with wifi shutoff (and I know I don't have data on the FreeUp free plan).

What does "unique number for each contact" mean, and where is it stored? 

Can someone please share instructions on how to call in the absence of data/wifi using Google Voice?   Step-by-step instructions, ideally!  :-)

All help very much appreciated.

From within the GV app, the path is Settings -> Make and receive calls -> Select Use carrier only (rather than Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data).

On iOS, you will be prompted to call a number other than the one you actully wish to call. Essentially, the GV app dials that number then bridges the call to the number one actually wishes to dial.

On Android, you won't see the other number. The call will appear to be going directly to the number you wish to call, though the GV app is still dialing another number in the background then bridging the call.

More
6 days 44 minutes ago #35 by uhthisb
Replied by uhthisb on topic Google voice questions
Re native apps...

If somebody sends a text to your GV# and you've set up GV properly to FW to your carrier#, then your native messaging app will show a weird # (thanks to GV magic) that you will then assign to that contact in a secondary field. And you'll know who it is cuz GV prefaces the message with their name if they're in your contacts. From that point on, it's fine to use the native app to call or text them and it'll appear as your GV# on their end.

More
4 days 11 hours ago - 4 days 11 hours ago #36 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic Google voice questions
@ajzwilli, does your daughter have good access to wifi? I have been using FreeUp’s free plan with GoogleVoice (GV) for a few years. If your daughter has access to wifi most of the time, there’s a trick to getting a LOT of mileage from the free plan, thanks to GV – but only if your daughter will have wifi say 90-95% of the time.

With that kind of wifi access, you DON’T want to set GV to use your carrier minutes for calls, because that will eat into FreeUp’s precious 250 minutes. Instead, set GV to “prefer wifi/data for calls”. 

This way, FreeUp’s minutes are preserved, and can be used only when there’s no wifi access.

With texts, you DON’T want to forward texts to the FreeUp number. Instead, use GoogleVoice itself for texting. Preserve FreeUp’s 250 texts for those 5-10% of occasions when there’s no wifi, and on those occasions, use the native texting app with FreeUp’s phone number for texting. The rest of the time, use GV for texting - to get unlimited texting capability.

Thought I’d share this for your daughter because this setup has worked very well for me. It’s also less restrictive. It does need very good wifi access for a majority of the time though. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21