Google voice questions

More
2 years 6 months ago #21 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic Google voice questions
Regarding "billable event every 60 days" ---
Did Tello change their rules again? It used to be activity at least once in 180 days to keep Paygo active, and then they changed it to 90 days IIRC. Is it 60 days now? I have a Tello Paygo, guess I should scramble to keep it alive!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #22 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Google voice questions
Bill Simon announced today the pending closure of the Simonics GVGW as soon as Google disconnects XMPP from GV, which is anticipated any day now.

More
2 years 6 months ago #23 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
As users of an Obi110 for many years - we had 'fixed' that box for some time via GVGW.
A good service, and a shame that it must end now.

Facing that imminent ending, we've instead added another VOIP number as forwarding from GV.
This is a very good way to keep the additional features of GV so that we can still use our older Obi box.

More
6 days 19 hours ago - 6 days 18 hours ago #24 by ajzwilli
Replied by ajzwilli on topic Google voice questions
Need some help with setting up iPhone for my daughter with google voice. I want her google voice number to be her primary number. She also has a number from FreeUP (on the free plan). I have linked the FreeUp number to the google voice account and I have changed the setting on google voice to have text messages forward to linked number (freeup #), but I'm not have any luck. Messages sent/received from her google voice app only appear in the app.

Calling seems to be working - when I place a call from google voice, it dials a unique number for each contact and I can make the call with wifi shutoff (and I know I don't have data on the FreeUp free plan). The number comes across as my google voice number.

When I use that unique number created on a call, I can send a text from my native messaging app and it shows it came from my google voice number, but the replies just go to my google voice app, not my native messaging app. How can I receive google voice text on my native messaging app?

Any help would be appreciated

More
6 days 18 hours ago - 6 days 17 hours ago #25 by johnsmith
Replied by johnsmith on topic Google voice questions

ajzwilli wrote: Need some help with setting up iPhone for my daughter with google voice. I want her google voice number to be her primary number. She also has a number from FreeUP (on the free plan). I have linked the FreeUp number to the google voice account and I have changed the setting on google voice to have text messages forward to linked number (freeup #), but I'm not have any luck. Messages sent/received from her google voice app only appear in the app.

Calling seems to be working - when I place a call from google voice, it dials a unique number for each contact and I can make the call with wifi shutoff (and I know I don't have data on the FreeUp free plan). The number comes across as my google voice number.

When I use that unique number created on a call, I can send a text from my native messaging app and it shows it came from my google voice number, but the replies just go to my google voice app, not my native messaging app. How can I receive google voice text on my native messaging app?

Any help would be appreciated

On her iPhone GV App> Settings > "Forward messages to linked numbers" > Toggle which Phone number(s) you want to receive inbound texts on. 
FYI the initial outbound call to any "new" number from GV WILL require data to generate the unique number for that contact/number that can be dialed and show on the recipient's caller id as your GV number. 

More
6 days 18 hours ago #26 by ajzwilli
Replied by ajzwilli on topic Google voice questions
Thanks John, unless I am mis-understanding you, I have already done that. It is set to forward messages to her FreeUp number, but the messages are not being forwarded. I only have 1 linked number and that is her FreeUp number.

More
6 days 17 hours ago - 6 days 17 hours ago #27 by Phoniac
Replied by Phoniac on topic Google voice questions

with wifi shutoff (and I know I don't have data on the FreeUp free plan).

From what I have seen with Google Voice,
- if there is no data/wifi available, it won't forward text messages to the Freeup number.  It also won't let you send text messages without data/wifi.
- if there is no data/wifi available, it WILL forward incoming calls to the Freeup (or forwarding number).

Hope this helps. 

Edit - 

Calling seems to be working - when I place a call from google voice, it dials a unique number for each contact and I can make the call with wifi shutoff 

I am very surprised that calling works without data/wifi.  In my experience, it doesn't.  (Although I don't know what you mean by "it dials a unique number" - I have never tried that route).

More
6 days 17 hours ago - 6 days 17 hours ago #28 by johnsmith

ajzwilli wrote: Thanks John, unless I am mis-understanding you, I have already done that. It is set to forward messages to her FreeUp number, but the messages are not being forwarded. I only have 1 linked number and that is her FreeUp number.

Toggle to green, within the GV App itself on her phone NOT through the web interface.
That should definitely work as I did the same myself on 2 iPhones with 2 new phone numbers yesterday. :)
Actually try the app first and if that doesn't work use the web interface, I remember in the past that changing settings sometimes wouldn't "stick" unless done on one or the other. :(

The following user(s) said Thank You: ajzwilli

More
6 days 17 hours ago #29 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Google voice questions
I'm not familiar with using GV on an iPhone, but(see below)you can see what happens if you turn off the setting mentioned below, see whether texts now go to the native messaging app. Just wondering why it's important to receive texts to the GV# on the native messaging app rather than the GV app on the home screen, where you'll be notified of new messages, etc.?

"Get notifications for new texts
On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
Tap Notifications and then Google Voice.
Next to Allow Notifications, turn on the setting.
Google Voice will automatically stop delivering texts to your default text messaging app, so you don't get 2 notifications."

support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=e

More
6 days 17 hours ago #30 by johnsmith

Isamorph wrote: I'm not familiar with using GV on an iPhone, but(see below)you can see what happens if you turn off the setting mentioned below, see whether texts now go to the native messaging app. Just wondering why it's important to receive texts to the GV# on the native messaging app rather than the GV app on the home screen, where you'll be notified of new messages, etc.?

"Get notifications for new texts
On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
Tap Notifications and then Google Voice.
Next to Allow Notifications, turn on the setting.
Google Voice will automatically stop delivering texts to your default text messaging app, so you don't get 2 notifications."

support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=e

His daughter is using FreeUP with Voice and Texts but no data.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ajzwilli