Google voice questions

• als
  • als's Avatar Topic Author
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
2 years 6 months ago #11 by als
Replied by als on topic Google voice questions
LOL It is impossible to port my number to Gvoice because tmobile has no service in my area so GV can not verify my number, which is precisely why I wish to port my number to google voice!!!!

Long story. I had a legacy tmobile paygo number since 2008 .
At my last posting, our straight talk home phone (unlimited talk $15/per month great reception on vtech handheld for hard of hearing) had no signal. No service on my tracfone 1200/1200/1200 either. Tracfone verizon didn't work on Bluegrass cellular verizon towers.
I switched our legacy tmobile to an unlimited talk with 2gb data($10/ month add on to our kids plan.)

New posting. No tmobile service. Straight talk home phone works again. Tracfone works again. I'd like to drop the tmobile $10/month plan we have got from the kids, but how do I keep the tmobile number I've had since 2008.? I thought that Google voice would be ideal, but since I have no tmobile service in this area google voice can't send the code to confirm my number, to continue with the port.
LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #12 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Google voice questions
@als---Would it be possible to port your T mobile number to ST home phone , where you would lose your current ST #, and then port the 2008 # to GV (which would temporarily end the ST account, and which you could reactivate with a new # once the port out to GV has finished. If you timed it right before you next ST monthly billing, less money would be at stake. Of course this depends on how important it is to keep your current ST #, and it assumes you could port your T mobile number to ST home phone without T mobile having reception in your area. Hope that makes sense.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #13 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Google voice questions
als, does either Sprint or AT&T have coverage in your area?
I can think of a route for either of those possibilities.......
The AT&T route would require that you're not particularly attached to your Tracfone #, and that your device currently on T-Mo is unlocked for general GSM use.
The Sprint route would need a sprint-network MVNO device not currently active.

Or, NumberBarn might allow you to "park" the 2008 # for $5 porting fee and $2/mo until you find a way to move it. I've never used it, but it looks like NumberBarn also enables call forwarding from that parked # to a working #.at $6/mo

www.numberbarn.com/number-parking
Caveat: I don't have any experience with porting a number out from NumberBarn later, either. It's possible, but possibly not with GoogleVoice unless the call forwarding feature lets you read the verification text on another device..........

Oh-- just a thought-- does your T-Mobile line have call-forwarding, that might allow the Google text to forward to the Tracfone or StraightTalk for verification? This would only work if T-Mo call-forwarding happens before the last hop to your non-receptive device......

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #14 by canon
Replied by canon on topic Google voice questions

als wrote: LOL It is impossible to port my number to Gvoice because tmobile has no service in my area so GV can not verify my number, which is precisely why I wish to port my number to google voice!!!!

Are you able to use DIGITS?
support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33472

More
2 years 6 months ago #15 by Zubrin
Replied by Zubrin on topic Google voice questions
@als Does your phone support T-Mobile WiFi calling?

More
2 years 6 months ago #16 by triplesec
Replied by triplesec on topic Google voice questions
Here's another guide to Google Voice that I used: www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/03/the-prepaid-users-guide-to-google-voice.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
2 years 6 months ago #17 by KentE
als, the "temporary SIM" line you suggested to joseph in the other thread is a route to move your number to GV--I've never seen another carrier that requires verification through a working phone for the porting process

If you have Sprint coverage, and an available device (maybe an old RingPlus phone?), you could jump on the Tello free month promo, and port the 2008 number there. Assuming it's stackable with the referral reward, you could also get 10 Tello Dollars that could be used to switch to PayGo in the second month & thereafter. (Non-expiring credit as long as you send a text or make a call every 60 days.) (There are some Tello referral codes in the Referral Code thread here.) Once on a functional line, you should be able to port onward to Google Voice.

If you have AT&T coverage & your current T-Mo phone is GSM-unlocked, the H20 prepaid SIM would do the trick-- I see now that porting is allowed (and cheaper.)

Doing a multi-step port through your Tracfone line would work, too, but you would lose the current Tracfone #. (Port the 2008 number to Tracfone, then to GV. Get a new number from Tracfone.)

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
2 years 6 months ago #18 by als
WOW thanks for all the great suggestions.
This evening, I'll try to see if I can get tmobile wifi calling working first.
Then i'll keep working through the other great suggestions, one by one, including figuring out far I have to drive to get t mobile service.
One way or the other this will work.
, I'll post what worked or come back for more suggestions,
Thanks again for all the great support.

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
2 years 6 months ago #19 by als
Thanks for all your great support and suggestions.
I kept getting caught up in an endless loop of having to receive text confirmations from t mobile, to sign up for digits or wifi calling.
Great ideas, I couldn't make them work. Just like porting to google voice involved text confirmations to my non service area t mobile number.
I called up tello, and they initiated a port for me Sunday evening and I woke up this morning to Success! my long held tello paygo credit now sports my important old tmobile phone number
THANKS ALL!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: realLexusl21

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #20 by KentE
Glad you could find a way to move that number, als!
That chain of catch-22's must have been very frustrating to go through.

Remember you need to have a billable event every 60 days to maintain the Tello PayGo balance. I think you can load the Tello app and make a short outgoing VoIP (over WiFI) call to use a minute or 2.

(edit: oops--- make that 90 days. Thanks peterquinn and PA345NH)
The following user(s) said Thank You: als