Google voice questions

• als
  • als's Avatar Topic Author
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
2 years 6 months ago #1 by als
Google voice questions was created by als
Is Google Voice/ Hangouts/ Hangouts dialer, still the way to go? Google keeps rolling out new apps. I can't keep up.
Is there any way to avoid paying $20 to port a number to google voice?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #2 by jamielih
Replied by jamielih on topic Google voice questions
I swear by Hangouts / Google Voice. I use the Google Voice service, but I don't use the Google Voice app, except on the desktop in very specific circumstances.

Porting a number to Google Voice may create issues if, when signing up for other services, such other services require a "real" phone number, and categorizes your Google Voice number as not a "real" number.

An example of such a service is, ironically, Google Voice. Signing up for Google Voice requires a real phone number. Recently, when signing up an account for my son, I used 3 FreedomPop LTE SIM numbers, 1 FreedomPop Sprint CDMA number, & 1 TextNow number. Google Voice indicated that it cannot use any of those to set up Google Voice. Using a Sprint 1-year-unlimited-free number worked, however. I interpret the foregoing to mean that those are not "real" numbers - numbers associated with a landline originally or with a real cellphone service originally.

The Google Voice number itself maybe categorized as not a "real" number.

There may be examples of other services with such requirements.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

More
2 years 6 months ago #3 by realLexusl21
Replied by realLexusl21 on topic Google voice questions
I ported my number to Google voice a long while ago.. you have to pay the $20

Google voice app added the dialer. Looks like Hangouts going different direction
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

More
2 years 6 months ago #4 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Google voice questions
I use Google Voice only-- no Hangouts. My main use is simply to pick which phone line I'm currently using without anyone else having to know which number I'm currently carrying.
GV alone still relies on your plan's voice minutes, and basically just "spoofs" your GV number to replace the device phone #. If you set it up to do so, texting uses small amounts of data, but not your plan's text allowance.

Like lexusl21, I believe there is no way to avoid the $20 charge if you wish to port an existing number to Google Voice. You can choose to get a new number for GV at no charge, though. (You can pick from a list of available numbers in your area.)

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #5 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic Google voice questions
Just wondering... for those of us who are "tech immigrants", still learning to "speak tech", are there any good sites or resources for a Google Voice/Hangouts tutorial, including what features are included and step-by-step instructions for how to set everything up (Rosetta Stone, Google Voice for Dummies, etc...)?

More
2 years 6 months ago #6 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Google voice questions

Diedrich_Duo wrote: Just wondering... for those of us who are "tech immigrants", still learning to "speak tech", are there any good sites or resources for a Google Voice/Hangouts tutorial, including what features are included and step-by-step instructions for how to set everything up (Rosetta Stone, Google Voice for Dummies, etc...)?

There are numerous GV tutorial sights, including Google's own information sites, one of which is linked below. You can just Google "How tos" about GV and be supplied with all you need to know. Or you can buy the "Dummy" book (just kidding on that one).

support.google.com/voice/answer/7207482?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
2 years 6 months ago #7 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic Google voice questions

Isamorph wrote:

Diedrich_Duo wrote: Just wondering... for those of us who are "tech immigrants", still learning to "speak tech", are there any good sites or resources for a Google Voice/Hangouts tutorial, including what features are included and step-by-step instructions for how to set everything up (Rosetta Stone, Google Voice for Dummies, etc...)?

There are numerous GV tutorial sights, including Google's own information sites, one of which is linked below. You can just Google "How tos" about GV and be supplied with all you need to know. Or you can buy the "Dummy" book (just kidding on that one).

support.google.com/voice/answer/7207482?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Thanks for the tip! I ordered the book, too. Looking forward to broadening my tech- and phone-related horizons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
2 years 6 months ago #8 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Google voice questions
The Google (company) tutorials are pretty good, with one glaring issue-- old articles tend to remain available without any notice that features have changed, and that some of the info is no longer applicable. I managed to confuse myself pretty seriously when I was first using GV because of this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
2 years 6 months ago #9 by realLexusl21
Replied by realLexusl21 on topic Google voice questions
The one thing I dislike about Google voice is that some settings are much easier to use on Google legacy webpage

More
2 years 6 months ago #10 by jamielih
Replied by jamielih on topic Google voice questions

lexusl21 wrote: The one thing I dislike about Google voice is that some settings are much easier to use on Google legacy webpage

Indeed. Such as blocking & unblocking numbers.