Suggestion: Limit Post Length

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #11 by als
Replied by als on topic Suggestion: Limit Post Length
I'm in the no limits camp.
I am in favor of limiting all cell providers terms and agreements to 500 characters.:evil:

Censorship is only fun if I am in charge , and if it is not, MY freedom of speech being restricted
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JTSR71
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #12 by JTSR71
Replied by JTSR71 on topic Suggestion: Limit Post Length
hungryghost's post is 1995 characters!

I happen to believe a word limit it is not necessary. There has not been a problem with overly long posts of ORIGINAL content.

Additionally, the recent posts over 2000 characters do appear to have been in violation of existing forum rules regarding being illegal as they appeared to be copyright infringement.

Lastly, a word limit IN A SINGLE POST is not censorship. If that was true then all tweets would be censored by default. SMH at more logical fallacy and fake outrage on this forum.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #13 by Isamorph
This no limit rule is good to know because I was thinking about posting a couple of chapters from "War in Peace"(with credit), particularly the chapter with the lengthy description of eating utensils used at an elaborate dinner. I suppose the worst that could happen would be that it could be flagged to death.:(

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #14 by jamielih

This no limit rule is good to know because I was thinking about posting a couple of chapters from "War in Peace"(with credit), particularly the chapter with the lengthy description of eating utensils used at an elaborate dinner. I suppose the worst that could happen would be that it could be flagged to death.:(

Verbatim copying with credit of a copyrighted work, absent other facts, is almost always not fair use. Otherwise, it would be fair use if I'd just copy 2 mp3s verbatim from an album of 10 mp3s, so long as I give credit to author. Wish it worked that way.

• JTSR71
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #15 by JTSR71

I was thinking about posting a couple of chapters from "War in Peace"(with credit)

We evidently need 2 new forum categories:

1) Novels
2) 15 year old "news" articles

• JTSR71
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #16 by JTSR71

Otherwise, it would be fair use if I'd just copy 2 mp3s verbatim from an album of 10 mp3s, so long as I give credit to author. Wish it worked that way.

I vaguely recall that the original way to download mp3's illegally was from a Russian website.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #17 by Isamorph

Verbatim copying with credit of a copyrighted work, absent other facts, is almost always not fair use. Otherwise, it would be fair use if I'd just copy 2 mp3s verbatim from an album of 10 mp3s, so long as I give credit to author. Wish it worked that way.

I was basically joshing, but the legal clarification is appreciated. I guess one could post a few chapters from one's own novel in order to get some feedback on the forum. Maybe this can become a "novel" forum, and maybe Oldbooks1 will return to provide some constructive criticism of posted work. Oh, if we could just limit ourselves to Haikus all would be well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
4 years 1 month ago #18 by als
I'm a limerick fan
because I can
I prefer to skate
and eschew the fate
of those who post
and pi%%% off the state

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #19 by als
jamielih,
I'm just curious. In your reply, to isamorph, you stated that,
"Verbatim copying with credit of a copyrighted work, absent other facts, is almost always not fair use. Otherwise, it would be fair use if I'd just copy 2 mp3s verbatim from an album of 10 mp3s, so long as I give credit to author. Wish it worked that way."

What is the difference between quoting from a published statement, and citing a link from the internet?
And how does that apply to use on a forum vis a vis legal proceedings.
My question pertains to personal forum use and freedom of speech as differentiated from commercial use.
Thank You

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #20 by als
Hi isamorph,
"War in Peace"
Surely no Freudian slip intended, 'War in Peace?????? (Smile)
Or is that a more accurate translation?
If so I've got to re-read the tome, cause maybe the whole thing was a Russian satire that only makes sense if you were a native speaker.
Jonathon Swifts , "Gulliver" only makes sense if you are acquainted with the politics of the day and can read it as heavy handed political satire.

'sigh'........ obviously, I've been in the desert ..........