Suggestion: Limit Post Length

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #1 by mmfacemm
censoring people who write too much
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #2 by jamielih
Limit blatant wholesale copying could decrease copyright infringement liability.

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #3 by als
Replied by als on topic Suggestion: Limit Post Length
No character limits Please!
Is that short enough?

Posts on this forum are a joy to savor and peruse.
Sometimes short and cogent, sometimes rambling, with hidden gems.

Venues with limited character lengths abound.

Perhaps you might start a Nth circle condensed digest topic.

Imagine James Joyce in 2000 characters

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #4 by 112059

No character limits Please!
Is that short enough?

Posts on this forum are a joy to savor and peruse.
Sometimes short and cogent, sometimes rambling, with hidden gems.

Venues with limited character lengths abound.

Perhaps you might start a Nth circle condensed digest topic.

Imagine James Joyce in 2000 characters

I agree. I miss Oldbooks1 even though I sometimes thought his writings were lengthy.

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #5 by als
Replied by als on topic Suggestion: Limit Post Length
Justice Brandeis, Concurring Opinion in Whitney v California
"they amended the Constitution so that free speech and assembly should be guaranteed."
www.columbia.edu/itc/journalism/j6075/edit/readings/brandeis_concurring1.html

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #6 by Diedrich_Duo

[I agree. I miss Oldbooks1 even though I sometimes thought his writings were lengthy.

I miss @Oldbooks1, too! Granted, some of his posts were more lengthy than most, but they always reflected his amazing command of the English (and Latin) language and his unique ability to analyze whatever topic he was writing about and share considered, thoughtful opinions and/or expertise on a variety of subjects.

It is also sad that I am writing about him in past tense. Hope he will be back on the forums soon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #7 by realLexusl21
Twitter is 4 doors down on the Right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #8 by mmfacemm

There are already other limits in place on this forum (eg; # of URLs, images per post).

To those not in favor of a 2000 character limit per post, do you favor a higher limit or none at all?

I don't favor limits at all. Some forums block you from posting too often and it just gets annoying. Some forums vet your posts before posting and if you get rejected you feel like you wasted all the time writing it out. etc etc.

I think if someone wrote a lot of junk over 2000 characters we the users would just not read it.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #9 by hungryghost
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the feedback! I also think it's great that you all are chiming in to discuss the pros & cons of such forum suggestions. I love it!

Someone already pointed this out, but there are indeed some post restrictions already in place (like max # of links, images, etc.) that hopefully limits most of the common forum abuses (like spamming or flooding). But, currently, there is no max character limit on a post. I do think there are many legit reasons for lengthier posts, which could contain useful/informative content, but like many of you, I also question why anyone would want to write such tomes in a modest little forum such as this. If nothing else, forum posts (although potentially cached and persisted by search engines) really are consumed by most of us as transient, casual commentary. It's basically the ephemera that fills out the internet. But either way, if one so chooses to pen their magnum opus here, more power to them! I do not intend to impose an upper limit on post length, if not for the sake of art and literature, but for the simple fact that my forum software currently does not support such a character limit (and I'm unwilling to write a customization for that purpose). So, there you go. You're all free to unleash your inner novelist!

I'd like to suggest one thing, though: If anyone sees forum content they consider spamming/flooding or otherwise an abuse or violation of forum rules, please flag those posts. Usually, if lots of people flag something as spam, etc. it's a good indication of problematic content.

The last thing I'll mention is this: While I love these sorts of discussions in the "Suggestions" category, with ideas and debate on how to improve the forum, please be mindful of NOT carrying over discussions, debates, arguments, etc. from the other forum threads and categories into this one. If you have something to discuss that's related to other ongoing forum threads, please discuss there, not here.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, Isamorph

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #10 by mmfacemm
One could just post twice to get past a 2000 character limit too.