Live in a box(truck)?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #46106 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Nifty - and also unlikely to be either geographically or financially within reach for someone who needs a box with wheels to live in...

Sales in selected European markets will start in the fall and next year, Toyota will add a 9-seat passenger version.

Every time that I see this thread's title it comes to mind that most folks (at least here in amurrikka) already live in many variations of boxes - be they wooden, brick, concrete, etc...

I've lived in metal boxes with wheels at different times of my life previously - the last of which being only 13' x 6.5' inside and quite sufficient for my needs - for almost 8 years.
If I could do that again I would - but in a better/quieter location and only -IF- the world at large gets loads closer to having normal supplies at the grocery stores again...ever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #46117 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Live in a box(truck)?

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Nifty - and also unlikely to be either geographically or financially within reach for someone who needs a box with wheels to live in...

Sales in selected European markets will start in the fall and next year, Toyota will add a 9-seat passenger version.

Every time that I see this thread's title it comes to mind that most folks (at least here in amurrikka) already live in many variations of boxes - be they wooden, brick, concrete, etc...

I've lived in metal boxes with wheels at different times of my life previously - the last of which being only 13' x 6.5' inside and quite sufficient for my needs - for almost 8 years.
If I could do that again I would - but in a better/quieter location and only -IF- the world at large gets loads closer to having normal supplies at the grocery stores again...ever.

The great thing about living on wheels is that you can just drive and live on a farm and pay the farmer a few bucks a day for all you can pick vegetables. :) Some of them are turning the crops back into the ground because they either dont have enough help to pick or dont have a way to get it to market.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #46121 by redrotors
Replied by redrotors on topic Live in a box(truck)?
I'm guessing I'd be OK living in a box.
Spent many years living / voyaging on sailboats of various sizes. Some was paid time on OPB, larger ones often quite comfy vs. living & passaging on a 23'.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #46122 by PEW

redrotors wrote: I'm guessing I'd be OK living in a box.
Spent many years living / voyaging on sailboats of various sizes. Some was paid time on OPB, larger ones often quite comfy vs. living & passaging on a 23'.

Yep, another box alternative. ;)

electrek.co/2017/11/10/solar-and-battery-technology-power-a-novel-hurricane-resistant-floating-electric-house-boat/
The following user(s) said Thank You: redrotors

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #46124 by redrotors
That would be pure luxury living.

No way I'd want to wander away from protected water in that, offshore passage? No way, but for sounds / rivers looks like you'd be quite comfy. Given what the price if that thing would be I'd hope so. Probably a great work around for areas with restrictive shore / seabed zoning / rules

• als
  • Smartphone
  • Smartphone
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #46137 by als
Replied by als on topic Live in a box(truck)?
Cool! Some cruising memory stories from Atchafalya. It wasn't much different in the Caribbean
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5367035

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #46142 by redrotors
I can't imagine feeling at ease that I could safely transit either of those boxes safely from one Caribbean island to another. I mean, pick the right day and you'll probably make it the 90 miles from Antigua to Guadeloupe but it would be heart in hand vs. even a small keel boat.
Even Drake channel (Virgin Islands, sailing kindergarten) would be scary on an average day.
I guess my preference/bias runs towards something I can voyage safely offshore in. Doesn't have to be big, I've done 800+ nm legs in a 23'.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #47149 by PEW

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #47179 by PEW