Hangouts dialer no longer working?

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 2 days ago #1 by PEW
Just realized that Google Hangout on the Android phone no longer has a dialer!  Is it gone for good?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #2 by johnsmith

PEW post=51731 wrote: Just realized that Google Hangout on the Android phone no longer has a dialer!  Is it gone for good?

They want you to use Google Voice now.

More
1 week 2 days ago #3 by joseph
Hangouts integration with Google Voice was discontinued on April 1. Google announced this pending change last year. You can no longer use Hangouts to send SMS to/from your Google Voice number. You'll need to use its designated replacement, which is the Google Voice app and the Google Voice website.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 2 days ago #4 by PEW
When they first mentioned discontinuing, I tried GV for texting but found group texting did not work like Hangouts - did not like it. What are your preferred alternative?

More
1 week 1 day ago #5 by sovashadow

PEW post=51735 wrote: When they first mentioned discontinuing, I tried GV for texting but found group texting did not work like Hangouts - did not like it. What are your preferred alternative?

I use group texting on GV, dont really have issues. Dont believe there are alternative apps for texting with google voice

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #6 by PEW
Today, Hangout SMS stopped working. :(

More
1 week 1 day ago #7 by tech-stitch
Yep, that's no more. Sad, but true. Thankfully, I have not ran into issues with the GV app.

More
1 week 1 day ago #8 by joseph
You should be able to do everything in the GV app that you were able to do in the Hangouts app before it was decommissioned from GV integration.

More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #9 by redrotors
May be a stupid ? but I'm never sure if there are features I'm ignorant of.
I see that the GV dialer has a "hold" button. What does it do? Can I make 3 way calls by putting call 1 on hold, make call 2 then "un-hold" call 1? I couldn't get it to work that way.
Anything else?

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 1 day ago #10 by PEW
Noticed another thing... a message in Hangouts did not show up on Voice. I only found out about it by logging in to email and seeing it there.