Cheap land

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #11 by ajzwilli
Replied by ajzwilli on topic Cheap land
What exactly are you wanting to do - produce produce for your family or sell? You don't need 50 acres of land to feed your family. Also, if you wanting to grow trees (i.e. cherries) versus plants that will make a large difference in your needs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #12 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Cheap land

Don't listen to the people telling you that 10 acres is a lot. You need plenty of land if you don't want the revenuers getting in your business.

How many acres do you think I'll need? 

Most of the people I know who grow food for their family have at least 50 acres. That might even give you some to sell at the farmer's market.

If you want to hunt for deer and hogs it would be better to have at least 100 acres.

My ex-paw-in-law had 50 acres and it was just enough land to keep the extended family in butter beans, purple hull peas, white acre peas, corn, etc.

My friends with hunting land feel like 100 acres is just barely enough.

Buy as much as you can afford!

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #13 by ajzwilli
Replied by ajzwilli on topic Cheap land
While I agree with Chelle to buy as much as you can, just be aware that you can make it on small amount of land. I grew up in a family of 6 and we survived primarily off a garden no larger than an acre (tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, peas, sweet corn, zucchini were primary crops) as well as had some livestock on just a few acres. Produce was canned/frozen/stored below ground to make it last for most of the year. I've hunted deer on timber parcels that are just a couple acres if it's in the right spot (i.e. near a water or food source).
The following user(s) said Thank You: KBOrtega

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #14 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic Cheap land
Fascinating replies from everybody!!

Is it at all possible to grow stuff right next to mountains? I would love to be within walking distance of mountains.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #15 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Cheap land

Fascinating replies from everybody!!

Is it at all possible to grow stuff right next to mountains? I would love to be within walking distance of mountains.

Mountains are rarely within walking distance, unless you're in the mountains.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16 by peterquinn
And mountain land may be unaffordable in the first place.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #17 by peterquinn
I looked through the land links you guys suggested. In the areas that are affordable, it looks like I will need
- a septic tank
- a well for water
- and solar energy.
All of which will mean further expenses. And I know absolutely nothing about these three things.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #18 by peterquinn
Fascinating!
About storing the produce - how did you store produce below ground?

While I agree with Chelle to buy as much as you can, just be aware that you can make it on small amount of land. I grew up in a family of 6 and we survived primarily off a garden no larger than an acre (tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, peas, sweet corn, zucchini were primary crops) as well as had some livestock on just a few acres. Produce was canned/frozen/stored below ground to make it last for most of the year. I've hunted deer on timber parcels that are just a couple acres if it's in the right spot (i.e. near a water or food source).

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #19 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Cheap land

I looked through the land links you guys suggested. In the areas that are affordable, it looks like I will need
- a septic tank
- a well for water
- and solar energy.
All of which will mean further expenses. And I know absolutely nothing about these three things.

Well... I have relatives who lived in isolated areas, including an uncle who lived in an adobe house in far western Kansas.  Although I'm sure there were expenses involved, electricity was not a problem, thanks to the Rural Electric Administration in the 1930's New Deal, which resulted in 98% of farms having electricity.  (I'm sure there are areas where it's still an issue.)  Neither septic tanks nor water wells require a great deal of knowledge beyond finding the folks who provide and maintain them for a living. 

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #20 by peterquinn
Wow, adobe house huh? I had to look what kind of homes those were. Looks like they are cheap to build but need dry areas, although I could be wrong about that. I also tried to find some cheap houses and came across these "promoted" links on e-bay.
www.ebay.com/i/153984026384
www.ebay.com/i/153985768207
Looks like they need significant assembly, so if someone does that, the cost will be much higher.
I think cabins cost on the lower side too.
Man, I wish I was handy!!