What's the opposite of "Owning the Libs"?

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #21 by golan

rolandh wrote: No one and certainly not I suggested one should avoid hurtng the feelings of those who would engage in insurrection. I suspect you know that but just enjoy being provocative. You created this thread prior to yesterday's events. My initial post in the thread was also prior to yesterday's events.

When I say it would be best to tone down the rhetoric, I was and am talking about moving forward. As deplorable as yesterday's events were, they failed. They failed because though challenged our institutions held. That is something all Americans should be able celebrate. Alas, if we're unable to get past despising one another (and again to be clear I'm not talking about insrectionists), I don't see how that happens. What many fail to appreciate is Trump is as much symptom of our sick political culture as cause. Yes, he poured gasoline on every available fire but the fires were already there and have been for some time.

This will likely be my last post in this topic. I'm looking for less diviseness not more.

The fundamental issue we have in moving forward is that there are a large percentage of Republicans who believe in a false alternate reality. It does not seem possible to reason with them.

So long as those disagreements took place on policy issues, that disagreement was unfortunate but something we have to live with in a democracy.

But once they crossed the line into not only wanting to violently overthrow democracy, but actively planning it, co-ordinating it, then attempting to execute on it, and arguably having assistance through strange inaction by law enforcement and a delay in sending reinforcements including by Trump, then we are in different territory.

This was all done in the name of Trump. Until it is proven that the vast majority of Republicans do not sympathize with the attempt to overthrow democracy, then they are a threat to American democracy.

Two thirds of Republican Representatives voted to throw out PA's electoral college votes. Even after the attack on Congress, they continued to perpetuate the lies that resulted in the violent coup attempt.

Over the last few years, there were many experts in authoritarism and mental health who warned that this is who Trump is. Many warned of this very moment and that even worse is possible. The vast majority of Republicans treated such people with scorn.

Anybody who thinks that Trump is not still plotting to avoid accountability and has no limits to what he is willing to do is deluded. Indeed, his most ardent believers still believe he and others are still executing on some sort of plan to keep power and jail his enemies.

This is the unfortunate and uncomfortable truth of the state of the country at the moment. If this threat was from the outside, it would be dealt with in a very different way. Unfortunately, it comes from the inside and thanks to many millions of brainwashed Republicans. Dealing with it is difficult, but if we try to pretend that it is an issue to do with both sides, then it will not get solved.

Every single American has a responsiblity to see the situation for what it is, especially the Republican Party, Right Wing Media and Law Enforcement. If the Republican Party and Right Wing Media want to perpetuate the alternate reality, then all that is left is to carry out the strictest enforcement possible through Law Enforcement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JS, sblake5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #22 by st3fx
Interesting hearing Scott Adams suggest Trump should resign and negotiate pardons for himself and entire family.

More
1 week 4 days ago #23 by KentE

st3fx wrote: Interesting hearing Scott Adams suggest Trump should resign and negotiate pardons for himself and entire family.

This has always seemed to me to be the no-brainer course for Trump to take.   There's precedent, and it's likely to stick (barring some far-reaching pardon features that haven't really been tried before, such as premptive pardons for future actions).
  Why wouldn't he do this?
Maybe he doesn't trust that the negotiated pardons wold be granted.   And maybe he doesn't trust anyone at all.
And maybe his ego simply won't allow it.
And maybe his autocratic tendencies encourage him to think there's no need, since he can do (and get away with) anything he wants.

.... interesting times.

• JS
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 3 days ago #24 by JS
Mike Pence is said to be against invoking the 25th Amendment to remove Trump. He obviously has no problem that Don the Con incited the mob in such a way that the crazies wanted to find Pence and execute him by hanging.

www.businessinsider.com/reuters-photographer-says-pro-trump-rioters-wanted-to-hang-pence-2021-1

Just add another person who now requires personal protection because of that wannabe mob boss Trump.

• golan
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #25 by golan
It's beginning to dawn on a lot of people that Trump, Guilliani, some Republican representatives / senators, the people he installed at the Department of Defense, other people in law enforcement, may have actually co-ordinated the attack on the Capitol.

The timing of speeches, tweets, phone calls, as well as the lack of security and delayed response, is beginning to look very suspicious.

Twitter banned Trump for what seemed like a couple of innocent tweets, but one of them was actually chilling:

Trump tweeted he wasn't going to be at the inauguration. Twitter interpreted this as Trump giving the go ahead for an attack on the inauguration itself.

It fits his MO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
1 week 3 days ago #26 by Isamorph

golan wrote: It's beginning to dawn on a lot of people that Trump, Guilliani, some Republican representatives / senators, the people he installed at the Department of Defense, other people in law enforcement, may have actually co-ordinated the attack on the Capitol.

The timing of speeches, tweets, phone calls, as well as the lack of security and delayed response, is beginning to look very suspicious.

Twitter banned Trump for what seemed like a couple of innocent tweets, but one of them was actually chilling:

Trump tweeted he wasn't going to be at the inauguration. Twitter interpreted this as Trump giving the go ahead for an attack on the inauguration itself.

It fits his MO.

Lt. General Russel Honoré usually has a pretty good take on these matters.

The following user(s) said Thank You: golan

• golan
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #27 by golan

Isamorph wrote:

Lt. General Russel Honoré usually has a pretty good take on these matters.

Honore is a national treasure. I often wonder why other leaders are not more like him.

Former Secretary of Defense William Cohen said Trump is a "clear and present danger" to the US.

Pence and the Cabinet should have invoked the 25th Amendment by now. They have failed, most likely because their personal ambitions come before the oath they swore to the constitution.