What's the opposite of "Owning the Libs"?

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #1 by golan
Jan 5 2021 - Georgia Special Election means Republicans lose control of Senate

Jan 6 2021 - VP Pence will confirm Joseph R Biden Jr & Kamala D Harris as President & Vice President

Jan 20 2021 - Democrats control Presidency, Senate, House. Can expand the Supreme Court to 69 members, appoint Hilary Clinton as AG to go after the Trump family, George Soros as Commerce Secretary to implement the globalist endgame agenda, Hugo Chavez as Defense Secretary to implement communist martial law
The following user(s) said Thank You: JS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #2 by rolandh
If the Democrats were to do any of that they would be every bit as bad as Trump and those that enabled him. Presuming responsible Democrats such as Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly meant it when they said they opposed ending the Filibuster few if any progressive fantasies (or corresponding fears on the other side) are likely to become reality. As for any warranted investigations of soon to be former President Trump and/or his family and associates, I suggest the politicians stay out of it and leave it to the professionals.

Anyone claiming a mandate from the 2020 election results is deluding themselves. What the Democrats do have with unified but narrow control is an opportunity to demonstrate they are actually more responsible when governing as opposed to campaigning. Time will tell on that. Meanwhile, I look forward, hopefully, to the political temperature being turned down. Frankly, I'm tired of the rhetoric from both sides. Let's see some (preferably bipartisan) results.

More
1 week 5 days ago #3 by KentE
Pro-Trump protesters have invaded the US Capitol, and delayed proceeding as Senators, Representatives, and staff shelter in place or are evacuated.
Some Democrat and Republic congresspersons have released statements that they are "shocked".

At least some of those "shocked" should not be, since they've worked hard to set up exactly this situation for months.

I'm afraid we won't get through the next couple of weeks without a directed attempt on someone's life, and I pray it won't be successful. If it happens, the same Representatives and Senators will again state that they are 'shocked', and that they can't imagine how this could happen....
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

• JS
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 5 days ago #4 by JS
Geez, all this because Don the Con is unable to accept a loss and has to blame somebody or something. He even has a history of claiming election fraud as he did the exact same thing in 2016. You would think that by now everybody would have been wise to this whole charade as his gullible cult base is basically fighting for a fabricated issue.

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #5 by dst11

rolandh wrote: Presuming responsible Democrats such as Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly meant it when they said they opposed ending the Filibuster few if any progressive fantasies (or corresponding fears on the other side) are likely to become reality.

I think ending the filibuster would make things more democratic (small d). Now politicians hide behind the filibuster. Let them pass whatever they pass and then the voters can vote them in or out.

As for any warranted investigations of soon to be former President Trump and/or his family and associates, I suggest the politicians stay out of it and leave it to the professionals.

I wish the DOJ was more independent from the politicians. Now no Democratic DOJ will investigate Republicans and no Republican DOJ will investigate Democrats. It's like the crooks have a silent agreement: don't go after my side and I won't go after yours. "For the good of the country" and other BS. They mean "For the good of the crooks". The chance Biden's DOJ investigates Trump, or gives the investigation to a neutral prosecutor, is a big fat zero.

Anyone claiming a mandate from the 2020 election results is deluding themselves. What the Democrats do have with unified but narrow control is an opportunity to demonstrate they are actually more responsible when governing as opposed to campaigning. Time will tell on that.

What voter will reward the politicians he/she voted for if they govern from the center? Maybe 5 out of 100. Maybe 10. But certainly not enough to win an election. Will the left reward Democrats if they ignore their agenda and govern from the center? Would the right reward Republicans if they ignore their values and cooperate with Democrats?

Say an elected politician before the election was saying 'if you vote for me I will do A', 'if you vote for me I will do A', 'if you vote for me I will do A', and once he/she is elected doesn't. What motivation will voters have to go vote for him/her next time? Enough voters to cause him/her to lose the next election won't vote for him/her. They won't go vote for his opponent, but they'll stay home.

More
1 week 5 days ago #6 by dst11

KentE wrote: At least some of those "shocked" should not be, since they've worked hard to set up exactly this situation for months.

1. Politician to voters: we must do this, we must do this, we must do this.

2. People do this.

3. Politicians feign shock and surprise people did this.

Thoughts and prayers...

• golan
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #7 by golan
When al-Qaeda was the biggest threat to our democracy, US policy was to cut off the head of the snake to degrade the organization.

There is no difference between that bin Laden led terrorist organization and the Trump led terrorist organization.

The 25th Amendment needs to be invoked. Impeachment proceedings need to start. Trump and his enablers and plotters can also be arrested on state and federal charges for any number of crimes they committed. The risk of things getting worse before Jan 20th are too great.

It's America or Trump. Everyone needs to pick what side they are on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

• JS
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #8 by JS
Those Republicans in the House and Senate should immediately abandon the performance of contesting the election as Don the Con's cult has gotten out of hand. But nope; that won't happen because for some reason, Congressman who know better think that pandering to the moron demographic is more important than preserving American democracy.

• golan
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
1 week 5 days ago #9 by golan
Although I am not surprised that this happened, the sheer extent of the lack of preparedness by Capitol Police and the FBI is shocking.

Also shocking is the lack of arrests after law enforcement got control of the situation. There was even an officer taking selfies inside Congress with the terrorist invaders.

Pipe bombs were planted, guns were illegally being carried, there is a picture of a terrorist with a bundle of zip ties which strongly suggests somebody ready to take hostages.

Everybody who went past security barriers should have been arrested, searched, investigated and charged as appropriate. They all broke the law in some way, some worse than others and are an ongoing national security threat.

Not charging them also emboldens other Trump terrorists.

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #10 by KentE
I've been watching Senators speeches this evening. I'll observe that several senators on both sides of the aisle spent the lockdown period thinking, and writing some very good speeches. I don't know if some of the Republican Senators had previously intended to speak clearly about rejecting conspiracy theories and supporting the transition to a newly elected president, but I suspect that it may have been a side-effect of the invasion that wasn't anticipated by those who egged it on.