What home made meal did you enjoy today?

More
1 month 5 days ago #48308 by Phoniac

Chelle wrote:

Phoniac wrote:

Chelle wrote:

Phoniac wrote: Thanks Chelle. Do you have a pic of your tahdig showing the non-brown side?

It's just plain old fluffy Basmati rice.

Here's a pic of a wedge of rice along with some chicken tikka masala I made, awhile back. It shows that, beyond the crunchy layer, the rest of the rice is fluffy.

Thanks Chelle. Definitely need a <slurp, slurp, yum, yum> emoji for your culinary creations! If you don't mind, could you share your recipe for the chicken creation?

Now you have me thinking of getting that rice cooker. Will the Persian rice cooker and tahdig work with brown rice instead of white rice?

Chicken tikka masala is a very common dish made with lots of dairy (yogurt, cream, butter) and various Indian spices. I'm sure there are a bazillion videos on YouTube that will show it better than I could write it. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to make!

Tahdig is made in many ways, although I haven't seen a brown rice version. I'm sure it would work great though! Try to use Brown Basmati rice, though. Basmati really is the best and it comes in a brown version, even if it is a little harder to find.

Persians sometimes vary their tahdig by placing cooked spaghetti (all pasta is called macaroni, so it would be called "macaroni tahdig"), or thinly sliced potatoes, or pieces of lavash (a flatbread) on the bottom of the rice cooker and then placing the rice on top. When you flip it over onto a serving dish your crunchy tahdig layer ends up being a nice change of pace!

While potato tahdig is loved by everyone, I think that macaroni tahdig is even better.

For a REAL change of pace you can skip the rice all together and make macaroni (actually spaghetti, remember?) with a crunchy potato tahdig layer.

Every culture has their version of crunchy rice. The Persian version is just the most widely known. Each time I've been to the Philippines I've been treated to "tutong", which is equally delicious!

It's very addicting!

Thank you, Chelle. Very inspiring, even for someone like me whose breadth of cooking expertise is limited to making brown rice and meat and veggies in a rice cooker. And eggs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #48472 by golan
Was a bit pushed for time yesterday so made a grass fed angus beef burger with gorgonzola crumbles, red onion, tomato and steak sauce. Avocado as a side.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #48780 by golan
More time today so got out the smoker and made some ribs together with beans.

I found a recipe years ago for beans in the smoker and they have been a hit with everyone who has tried them.

More
6 days 5 hours ago - 6 days 4 hours ago #49287 by Lll Old Me
We had spaghetti and meatballs last night.
Very enjoyable and satisfying.

Tonight we're going to have meat loaf and mashed potatoes. Looking forward to it.

Also, got a great deal on some frozen fish sticks. But that'll be for later in the week.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
3 days 23 hours ago #49348 by golan

Lll Old Me wrote: We had spaghetti and meatballs last night.
Very enjoyable and satisfying.

Tonight we're going to have meat loaf and mashed potatoes. Looking forward to it.

Also, got a great deal on some frozen fish sticks. But that'll be for later in the week.

A strange coincidence but last week we had meatballs in arrabiata sauce with tagliatelle.

And then homemade meatloaf with roasted sweet potato.