What home made meal did you enjoy today?

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 weeks 14 hours ago #48171 by golan
We really enjoyed taco shells with ground beef today.

Taco shells made from organic blue corn. Organic ground beef cooked in a little avocado oil and various spices. Some shredded mexican cheese, salsa, organic sour cream, shredded iceberg lettuce, avocado.

The blue corn shells were definitely nicer than yellow corn and oven heating them helped. Next time, we'll probably get organic blue corn tortilla chips and make it nacho style. We're also thinking of using Impossible "meat". And next time I will remember to make margaritas!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soteria 2.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 9 hours ago #48174 by Chelle
I made biscuit pot pie.

Attachments:

More
2 weeks 7 hours ago - 2 weeks 6 hours ago #48184 by KentE
Chelle, did your cast iron skillet come with that handle cover, or is it aftermarket? Silicone?

One of my Covid projects has been finally, at long last, learning to cook a little-- something I've miraculously managed to avoid for my entire life. (My mom used to brag that all of her sons had to learn to cook 3 meals before they ventured out on their own: I'm sure it was true, but I can't for the life of me figure out what 3 meals I learned how to make....scrambled eggs, and ???) I've managed to avoid it because my SO is a wonderful cook. (But I've been out of work for extensive periods due to Covid 19, while she's 'essential', so I wanted to help.)

One of my unexpected benefits of Nth Circle has been how my friends here have helped me with this!

Chelle, thanks for the tips on sauteed Tillapia: I'm likely as not to use it in street tacos, with Egg Wrapper 'tortillas', because of dietary restrictions of my SO. (Julienned radish & cabbage, cilantro, green onions, sliced lime, and carrots/radish pickled in jalepeno juice.) And for the wonderful pan-roasted Brussels sprouts.

Thanks to ExtraTerrestrial-Zoologist for his post about PopEye's style DIY red beans & rice, and for his tips & suggestions via PM on accomplishing this! It's been my lunch many days. (I take lots of shortcuts....)

And thanks to Soteria 2.0's many mouth-watering posts for providing inspiration and making me think I can handle this....

... and many others...

My dinner plans for tonight: Shepherd's Pie, Keto style. (No potato allowed.) I start with Green Giant frozen mashed cauliflower (bacon & cheese flavor), & partially cook it in the oven. About half-way through, I take it out, mix in half a block of cream cheese (to stiffen up the mash), layer it in a dish with pre-cooked ground meat/onions/spice, and pop it back in the oven to brown.
So far, I haven't managed to come up with quite the texture of potato-based pie: it's more of a casserole.

golan, if you have access to Costco, I think they frequently have their house-brand blue corn nacho chips, which are cheap, very good, and I seem to recall organic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Soteria 2.0

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #48189 by Chelle
@KentE

They're cheap silicone covers that I got from Amazon. They're very handy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Soteria 2.0

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #48190 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Such a nicely different question !!

Being the cook & bottle washer here...pretty much all our meals are ones made by me.
Today's "lunch' is a simple meal of grilled garlic chicken thighs & fresh cabbage that was pressure cooked in pork broth left over after cooking that, in the foundling electric pressure cooker.
(That was truly a great find.)

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago - 2 weeks 4 hours ago #48191 by Chelle
My biscuit pot pie is embarrassingly simple to make but it's frequently requested in our household.

Saute your choice of good stuff in a skillet. Leftovers work great (especially leftover rotisserie chicken). I used a one pound tube of ground sausage and half an onion then added a bag of stir fry vegetables after the sausage was browned.

Once the saute looks good and smells good, add a can of cream of mushroom soup and then adjust the consistency of the gravy with some broth. I keep it pretty thick, so I add almost no extra liquid.

Top it with some shredded cheese and then place a can of biscuits on top. Bake until the biscuits are done, then remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.

That's it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Soteria 2.0, Chosen

More
2 weeks 3 hours ago #48195 by Chelle
Persian rice with a crunchy layer of tahdig is pretty much a daily staple in our house. I make it with virtually every meal.

If I don't make it the first question at the dinner table is, "Hey, where's the tahdig?"

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soteria 2.0, Chosen

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
2 weeks 51 minutes ago #48199 by golan
Last week we got a deal on 3lbs of grass fed top sirloin. Round 1 was on the grill with baked sweet potato and home made coleslaw. Round 2 was on a cast iron skillet, topped with blue cheese, sides of crimini mushroom in red wine sauce, roast potato, asparagus.

Round 3 tbd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soteria 2.0, Chosen

More
1 week 6 days ago #48234 by Soteria 2.0
Japanese Curry Rice

Very simple, one of my favorite meals.

Directions:
Follow the directions on the box of your Curry Sauce Mix. The typical ingredients are potatoes, carrots, onions and meat.
Pork
Beef
Chicken
Shrimp
Scallops
I prefer my potato and carrots cut into smaller pieces.
And I usually grate 1 apple to add at the end of cooking.
You can use 1 cup of Apple sauce, or omit it if you prefer.

*Saute 1 onion (minced) until transluscent before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Add a little salt and pepper to your meat while cooking.
Serve with rice and enjoy.

You can find the curry roux at some grocery stores or the Asian market.
Or Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Chosen

More
1 week 6 days ago #48235 by Soteria 2.0

LOL
I eat my curry with a fork.
Spoon is reserved for ice cream and soup.