Any coffee nerds here?

More
1 month 4 days ago #48320 by realLexusl21
Replied by realLexusl21 on topic Any coffee nerds here?
Any one use a grind and brew? We love ours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #48324 by golan
Replied by golan on topic Any coffee nerds here?

112059 wrote: I have a Melitta brand pour over brewer that I sometimes use, mine does not alter the flavor like some plastics do, but it is an older one. It was less than $5 bucks. I don't use a gooseneck kettle, anything that will hold hot water and can do a slow pour will work, just remember many plastics can change the coffee flavor.

www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-Pour-Over-Filter-Cone-Coffeemaker-Black/21777801?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227016030870&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40886541392&wl4=pla-78817741112&wl5=9015507&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21777801&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tKluZ306wIVi8DACh2v-QQUEAQYASABEgLG4PD_BwE

I saw exactly this and was going to buy it until I saw the Oxo and then saw the review that said the Oxo was average.

I'm going to experiment with my aeropress more before trying something else. Once I'm ready for pour over, I will get the Kalita Wave (unless something better comes out by then).

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #48338 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Any coffee nerds here?
I can't remember who said the best tasting coffee results from proper preparation, which accounts for 37% of taste, and the best beans, which accounts for 63% of taste. In any case, saw this article about a particular lot of Ethiopian coffee beans that won first place in the Cup of Excellence competition, which sells for about $2,600 per kilogram, or if in London, $65 for one serving. That said, I believe proper preparation can make even the most pedestrian of beans taste 100% better than when shoddily prepared.

www.cnn.com/travel/amp/expensive-coffee-london-gbr-scli-intl/index.html
Attachments:

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 1 day ago #48378 by golan
Made a near perfect aeropress today with pre ground Trader Joes medium roast coffee. It somehow tasted strong and robust while still being fresh and light.

I've begun to pour the water in very gently and using as little water as possible before pressing. I've also been stirring and pressing as gently as possible. Seems to make a difference.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 1 day ago #48394 by golan
Made a 3 cup serving of aeropress today in a single press. In the past, I've never made larger amounts as good as single serve presses but using a minimal amount of water and with gentle pressing, it came out great.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
4 weeks 1 day ago #48425 by golan
Had a very interesting aeropress experience today. I accidently forgot to turn on the kettle and poured tepid water into the chamber (the water was slightly heated thanks to residual heat from the kettle having been used for something else).

I realized something was wrong when the water went through the coffee and the filter really quickly and I had to add more before pressing. That is interesting in itself - cold water goes through coffee and the filter far quicker than hot water.

After pressing, I realized what I had done but the coffee concentrate smelt ok, so I added some hot water and tasted. It was not bad but I had added too much water.

Realizing that the coffee was under extracted, I added some water to the aeropress chamber and pressed the used coffee again. This actually worked and brought the coffee to the expected strength. It was not as good as a properly pressed aeropress but it was still drinkable (black) and better than coffee from outside.

This really reinforces to me how forgiving and well designed the aeropress is.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #48558 by golan
Bit hot today so enjoying ice coffee using Dunkin Donuts decaf.

Costco used to have a great Colombian decaf for only $10 for 3lbs but I haven't seen it for months, so I got a collection of regular size decafs (at double the price) to sample.

So far, the best has been Gevalia but I've got McCafe and Seattle's Best still to try. Annoyingly, Gevalia beans are hard to find and more expensive than ground.

We're drinking more decaf coffee than regular and I want to move to beans for all coffee so I think I'll go with Ruta Maya Organic Decaf from Costco. It's quite expensive but it is rated very highly.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #48643 by golan
Made 3 cups of McDonald's decaf and was underwhelmed. It looked very weak when pressed so I diluted it far less than normal and it was still weak.

Since pressing more than 1 cup can result in poor results, I then pressed a single cup but that too was still very weak.

The flavor did improve in the cup but it remains a very weak thin coffee.

Maybe this coffee is designed to be brewed a more traditional way (hotter water and longer brew time) so I will try that next time. It could also be that their decaf process is poor since their regular coffee has great reviews.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #48779 by golan
The McCafe decaf is going back for a refund. There is a lack of strength even with double dosing. Must be something wrong with the batch.

I opened some Seattle's Best decaf and it is ok but out of the five I tried, Gevalia was definitely the best.

I also opened some Lavazza Classico non decaf which is a blend of Arabica and Robusta and it is very good as well. It most definitely tastes "Italian" and I'm becoming more tempted to buy an espresso machine.

• golan
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 week 20 hours ago #49221 by golan
I can highly recommend coconut milk as a substitute for regular milk.

Using Peet's Major Dickason's Whole Bean Coffee (decaf), I've made cappuccino and blended ice coffee and they've come out great.

Some people love the signature roast of Peet's coffees but its not for me. There is too much carbon / burnt flavor, but fortunately, it works great when mixed with milk and sugar as that offsets those flavors. I'll have to find something else for straight black decaf coffee.