Any coffee nerds here?

More
1 week 5 days ago #48250 by 112059
Replied by 112059 on topic Any coffee nerds here?

golan wrote:

112059 wrote:
The Zero water sounded like a great way to go so I called them to ask how long one of their filters would last with a TDS of 1,500 and was disappointed when they said the filter would only last for a couple of gallons before it would be plugged and need to be replaced. I will have to check into the RO system that can be flushed.

Yep, the zero water is a relatively expensive way to filter water. It gets to zero because it has a DI layer which is something that some people get as another stage after the membrane in a RO system to get that to zero.

I don't know why the sales person would have said your membrane will get plugged if you have soft water and 1500ppm. While 1500ppm is high (EPA limit is 500ppm), quality RO membranes last for many many years with levels at and above the EPA limit, and as I mentioned, they waste a lot of water in order to carry away the TDS.

Their filters must be small. This chart from their website shows 400 TDS will filter 8 gallons of water. I talked to a water guy today and I gave him my hardness in grains before softening and the TDS and his recommendation was a cartridge filter system that he sold (Aqua Flo) and he claimed the RO membrane would last me a year, I have no idea how he arrived at that number since he didn't ask me how much water I used.

zerowater.com/images/tds-chart.png

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #48251 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Coincidentally, just last night I did a 1/2 & 1/2 batch during my kombucha making time:

golan wrote:

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: We have & sometimes use a couple of cold brewers

Do you have any recommendations?

By that I mean it was done using this thing:
www.amazon.com/dp/B01M26UDXM
Which I got several years back & is no longer sold there...

Since I had the kettle working hard already, I had it boil another batch of RO water, placed the filter inside with 11 regular sized scoops of ground coffee, than filled it slowly with the hot water & capped it.

After a while I set the filter aside with the grounds in it, poured off the hot coffee, replaced the filter - added another 11 scoops of the same coffee, and used up the cooler water left in the kettle - then topped it off with the cold RO water.

When it was a cool enough it was set into the 'fridge overnight & re-bottled this evening.

Result:
My dear little partner has around a gallon of fresh coffee ready to warm up & use when she is in her hugely rushed state in the morning.

I have found that coffee stored in our nice, cold fridge in 1/2 gallon jugs keeps perfectly, just long enough for her to guzzle it all down - and should I wish for an iced coffee anytime I can just grab some from that supply (since it is I who makes the replacement batch anyhow !!).

As to taste - the main difference between the hot & cold brews using the same coffee is just one of mildness; the hot brewed stuff has a bit more 'bite' vs. the cold, which is mellower.

One of the neat things about doing it this way is that the volume of water displaced by the filter & grounds leaves room for maybe 12-16 ounces of cold RO water to be added after that is out - so the correct volume of water results & it is cooler, thus making it easy to bottle up tightly & store.

And BTW, there is what looks to be a duplicate of the Java Joe rig here:
www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATJ6AJG/
There are cheaper ones, but most don't include the nice, big mason jar.

Thanks for asking & Best Wishes !!

More
1 week 5 days ago #48257 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Any coffee nerds here?
There are those who spring out of bed at 5:30 every morning with a smile on their face and a song in their heart. They say happy things with their happy faces to anyone who will listen, and they drink their coffee outside as they sing Disney princess songs with the birds.

They're the ones who are capable of measuring the TDS of their water and roasting their own beans to perfection before making a perfect cuppa with freshly frothed cream.

And every one of those crazy sickos is married to a normal person, like me, who gets out of bed begrudgingly, gropes their way to the kitchen with both eyes still closed, and presses a single button on a contraption that will automatically make a cup of coffee in one minute or less and, hopefully, inject it straight into their veins.

I don't know why these two types of people always end up together, but it's proof that God has a sense of humor.

More
1 week 5 days ago #48260 by realLexusl21
Replied by realLexusl21 on topic Any coffee nerds here?

Chelle wrote: There are those who spring out of bed at 5:30 every morning with a smile on their face and a song in their heart. They say happy things with their happy faces to anyone who will listen, and they drink their coffee outside as they sing Disney princess songs with the birds.

They're the ones who are capable of measuring the TDS of their water and roasting their own beans to perfection before making a perfect cuppa with freshly frothed cream.

And every one of those crazy sickos is married to a normal person, like me, who gets out of bed begrudgingly, gropes their way to the kitchen with both eyes still closed, and presses a single button on a contraption that will automatically make a cup of coffee in one minute or less and, hopefully, inject it straight into their veins.

I don't know why these two types of people always end up together, but it's proof that God has a sense of humor.

Is there a travel roasting unit in the back of your travel ban?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 week 5 days ago #48262 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Any coffee nerds here?

realLexusl21 wrote: Is there a travel roasting unit in the back of your travel van?

No roaster, but before we switched to the Keurig this was our camping coffee and power setup.

Fairly compact and a durn good cup of coffee.
Attachments:

More
1 week 5 days ago #48264 by realLexusl21
Lol. I was joking. I should of known better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 week 4 days ago #48272 by 112059
The best cup of coffee I have ever had came from Hanalei Coffee Roasters (near Puff the magic dragon), it was roasted fresh and to perfection for my taste.

s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/QbaPfVqEk7MMCTg8yykKQw/o.jpg

The second best cup of coffee came from Java Kai in Kapa'a and the owner had to be coaxed into making it my way. An Americano made by using an espresso grind from a lighter roasted bean (Kauai Coffee Estate Reserve Peaberry). He did make me try his way first using his regular espresso beans, which in my opinion is always roasted too long. There is a reason I always called Starbucks Charbucks, but then they came out with the blonde roast for the rest of us like me.

media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/c0/94/95/java-kai.jpg

More
1 week 4 days ago #48276 by realLexusl21
Kauai Coffee Estate Reserve

As good as Kona coffee. Imho

But 1/4 the price

• golan
  • golan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
1 week 2 days ago #48313 by golan
Replied by golan on topic Any coffee nerds here?
Did some research on several topics and became very intrigued by pour over coffee.

Saw that Oxo have made a pour over coffee device that does the pour over work for you. Reviews were positive and I was thinking of buying. Then I came across a comprehensive test of different pour over devices involving several experts and it turned out the Oxo was average and a couple of other models were significantly superior.

I haven't really experimented enough with my aeropress, my new grinder and even beans, that it makes sense to buy another device right now. I also don't want to spend a few minutes each day to perfect the pouring and would need to get a gooseneck kettle as well.

But I did learn more about how coffee brews and have started experimenting with the aeropress more. Last night, I made a decaf that smelt and looked very close to espresso. It tasted fantastic after diluting but next time, I will taste it without diluting.

I also made a shortlist of beans to buy. Right now, I'm looking to not exceed $10-$11 per lb and there are a few choices at or below that price that are considered "90 point" coffees.

I also found a great recipe for cold coffee. Made hot, but cooled immediately with the right ratios of hot water, coffee and ice. It was designed for pour over but I adapted it for the aeropress.

More
1 week 2 days ago #48319 by 112059
I have a Melitta brand pour over brewer that I sometimes use, mine does not alter the flavor like some plastics do, but it is an older one. It was less than $5 bucks. I don't use a gooseneck kettle, anything that will hold hot water and can do a slow pour will work, just remember many plastics can change the coffee flavor.

www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-Pour-Over-Filter-Cone-Coffeemaker-Black/21777801?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227016030870&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40886541392&wl4=pla-78817741112&wl5=9015507&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21777801&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tKluZ306wIVi8DACh2v-QQUEAQYASABEgLG4PD_BwE