PEW poll on climate action

More
1 week 2 days ago #46666 by Soteria 2.0

112059 wrote:

uhthisb wrote: (We posted at the same time, above I'm replying to Soteria 2.0)

Listen, 112059. You tried to cut down the OP but were too lazy to know that what you requested was already there. The basis of your attack was in your head. The info you wanted was already there while you pretended it wasn't.

Can you provide how many Democrats polled answered the questions, can you provide how many Republicans polled answered the questions? I doubt you will find the answer since I could not, but if you can find it I will look at it.

Before this is misinterpreted, let me clarify.
It has nothing to do with politics, but it would effect the outcome of the survey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
More
1 week 1 day ago #46675 by Diedrich_Duo

Soteria 2.0 wrote:

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

PEW wrote: Latest PEW poll (meaning asking myself) indicate it was an error to post this article on Nth Circle. ;)

Now you can see why I started that thread in May:
www.nthcircle.com/forum/suggestions/3226-new-category-politics?start=0#45686

Unfortunately, based on the replies received, the overwhelming consensus was that our fellow Nth Circlers did not want to create a separate category to discuss all things political.

FWIW, I appreciated your latest PEW poll and believe it will be remembered as one of the most accurate ever taken. :)

I'm very surprised by your response,
I have always thought of you as very respectful of others, kind, thoughtful and considerate.

Thank you for your multiple replies, and your kind words (which hopefully are meant in the present tense :) ). We are in agreement that folks on this forum should keep things respectful, which I always try to do, even when others' viewpoints are completely opposite of mine.

As far as this forum is concerned, the moment anyone questions poll results or asks about methodology, that seems political to me. It seems to me that some (many?) people only question them when they differ from what we want them to be ("Gee, that must've been rigged -- how else could they have come up with those results???"). Many / most of us prefer to watch news stations that broadcast views similar to our own, read articles that align with our politics, and avoid "the other side" because they don't agree with us. And the longer we watch and hear only "our side", the more we are convinced that our views are the correct ones. That is how the term "confirmation bias" has come about.

Regarding my interpretive abilities, I am (or at least used to be) a reasonably intelligent person, and I do try to read replies thoroughly and figure them out as they come along. However, many of your posts are extremely long and don't really show who wrote what, especially when you are sharing some of the articles you comment about. (Yikes -- maybe I'm the simpleton, since I can't figure out whose words are whose! :huh: )

To that end, the only request I would make of you would be for you to please just post direct hot links to the articles upon which you are commenting, along with the source (i.e., Yahoo Finance, Fox News, CNBC, etc.). That would certainly help me differentiate between who you are quoting and where you got the quote, versus comments you are making on your own.

Well, speaking of extremely long posts, this post has turned out that way, so I will wrap it up by saying this: Feel free to have "the last word" if you like, post whatever and however you like, and I promise you I will keep reading everything you post. I respect your (and everyone's) right to your opinion, and I will continue to do my absolute best to remain positive, courteous, and respectful to everyone on this forum. Thanks again and over and out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, uhthisb

More
1 week 1 day ago #46677 by Soteria 2.0

Diedrich_Duo wrote: Thank you for your multiple replies, and your kind words (which hopefully are meant in the present tense :) ).

LOL
My mistake.
The impression was formed on the RingPlus forum.
I don't recall having read any of your posts on this forum.
In order to have any opinion.
Except for this less than stellar encounter.

Joke! Haha! Within a short period of time it will be forgotten.

More
1 week 1 day ago #46684 by y4vix
Replied by y4vix on topic PEW poll on climate action

Soteria 2.0 wrote:

Diedrich_Duo wrote: Thank you for your multiple replies, and your kind words (which hopefully are meant in the present tense :) ).

LOL
My mistake.
The impression was formed on the RingPlus forum.
I don't recall having read any of your posts on this forum.
In order to have any opinion.
Except for this less than stellar encounter.

Joke! Haha! Within a short period of time it will be forgotten.

Polling methodology has always been of interest to me.
I consider this entire topic thread to be very informative and worthwhile.... particularly because of the posts by Soteria 2.0, which have led me to insights I was previously unaware of.
Thanks Soteria 2.0.:)

More
1 week 21 hours ago #46705 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic PEW poll on climate action

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

PEW wrote: Latest PEW poll (meaning asking myself) indicate it was an error to post this article on Nth Circle. ;)

FWIW, I appreciated your latest PEW poll and believe it will be remembered as one of the most accurate ever taken. :)

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that some are missing that Diedrich_Duo is specifically praising member PEW's one-person (himself/herself) survey as being the most accurate poll, and not commenting on the PEW (company) poll.

As usual, D_D had his tongue firmly planted in cheek, and the comment is about as far from controversial or argumentative as it's possible to get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW, als, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo, uhthisb

More
1 week 10 hours ago #46720 by Soteria 2.0

KentE wrote:

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that some are missing that Diedrich_Duo is specifically praising member PEW's one-person (himself/herself) survey as being the most accurate poll, and not commenting on the PEW (company) poll.

As usual, D_D had his tongue firmly planted in cheek, and the comment is about as far from controversial or argumentative as it's possible to get.

112059 wrote: I will start believing polls when they start showing the exact questions asked and the political lean on those that answered them.

You sound like a simpleton, sorry. Cuz when you say "start believing" and "start showing" you behave as if you weren't already provided with what you're requesting.

The exact questions and the exact political lean is two- and/or one-clicks away from the OP's hyperlink. You were too lazy to care. That says way more about you than the researchers.

PDF here, kooky...

www.pewresearch.org/science/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2020/06/PS_2020.06.23_government-climate_REPORT.pdf

I believe this post makes it clear that the issue was about polls and not a specific poll.

He never questioned the outcome of the Pew Survey.

My issue was the disparaging comments.
Unnecessary,
and distasteful .
I merely presented articles that explained the inherent difficulties in conducting a survey.
That he had a valid reasons to question the accuracy of a survey .

No malice or manipulation, just human nature.
There was no discussion of politics, climate change or the Pew Survey.

You are missing the fact that this person that you all wish to praise acted in a manner most people would consider unacceptable.

Dietrich Duo
Unfortunately, based on the replies received, the overwhelming consensus was that our fellow Nth Circlers did not want to create a separate category to discuss all things political.

Soteria
He basically told me he arrived at that conclusion because of my incoherent rambling.

Dietrich Duo
As far as this forum is concerned, the moment anyone questions poll results or asks about methodology, that seems political to me. It seems to me that some (many?) people only question them when they differ from what we want them to be ("Gee, that must've been rigged -- how else could they have come up with those results???"). Many / most of us prefer to watch news stations that broadcast views similar to our own, read articles that align with our politics, and avoid "the other side" because they don't agree with us. And the longer we watch and hear only "our side", the more we are convinced that our views are the correct ones. That is how the term "confirmation bias" has come about.

Regarding my interpretive abilities, I am (or at least used to be) a reasonably intelligent person, and I do try to read replies thoroughly and figure them out as they come along. However, many of your posts are extremely long and don't really show who wrote what, especially when you are sharing some of the articles you comment about. (Yikes -- maybe I'm the simpleton, since I can't figure out whose words are whose! :huh: )

To that end, the only request I would make of you would be for you to please just post direct hot links to the articles upon which you are commenting, along with the source (i.e., Yahoo Finance, Fox News, CNBC, etc.). That would certainly help me differentiate between who you are quoting and where you got the quote, versus comments you are making on your own.

Well, speaking of extremely long posts, this post has turned out that way, so I will wrap it up by saying this: Feel free to have "the last word" if you like, post whatever and however you like, and I promise you I will keep reading everything you post. I respect your (and everyone's) right to your opinion, and I will continue to do my absolute best to remain positive, courteous, and respectful to everyone on this forum. Thanks again and over and out!

Dietrich Duo
As far as this forum is concerned, the moment anyone questions poll results or asks about methodology, that seems political to me.

Soteria
He jumped to a conclusion.
And, apparently speaks for the entire forum.

Apparently you all don't have a problem with a fellow member being treated in such a belittling manner.

And, will present things to fit your narrative.

Nothing more
to be said.

Not nice.
Big
Bullies.
LOL
And if he has a problem reading my incoherent posts, don't read them. Wtf
Do keep your posts under 140 characters.
He is not the boss of me. LOL

You all have a lovely evening.

More
6 days 19 hours ago - 6 days 19 hours ago #46739 by y4vix
Replied by y4vix on topic PEW poll on climate action
Speaking of "climate action"....this article just in ...from yesterday :

The author , Michael Shellenberger, is a lifelong climate activist and Time magazine ‘Hero of the Environment’,

"On behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologize for the climate scare we created over the last 30 years. Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. It’s not even our most serious environmental problem".

"I may seem like a strange person to be saying all of this. I have been a climate activist for 20 years and an environmentalist for 30"

"But as an energy expert asked by Congress to provide objective expert testimony, and invited by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to serve as Expert Reviewer of its next Assessment Report, I feel an obligation to apologize for how badly we environmentalists have misled the public"

environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2020/6/29/on-behalf-of-environmentalists-i-apologize-for-the-climate-scare

More
6 days 18 hours ago #46741 by Soteria 2.0
www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/07/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal-keeps-farting-cows-for-now.html

Does Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez really want to get rid of 'farting cows'? Not yet, at least
PUBLISHED THU, FEB 7 2019 6:06 PM

Livestock farming produces about 18 percent of all those environmentally damaging gases — and about a quarter of that chunk comes from cow farts and burps, the U.N. says.

More
6 days 18 hours ago #46742 by Soteria 2.0
www.google.com/amp/s/www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/feces-on-streets-increasing-in-san-francisco/amp/

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Feces complaints in San Francisco are soaring. ... According to rental website, RentHop, the city's reporting system SF311 received 28,315 feces complaints in 2018. That's up 35% from the previous year. So far this year, the city's seen 25,000 complaints, about 7% more than the same period in 2018.Nov 20, 2019

www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-poop-patrol-employees-make-184000-a-year-2018-8%3famp

San Francisco has a 'Poop Patrol' to deal with its feces problem, and workers make more than $184,000 a year in salary and benefits

Behind the Story: Walking San Francisco's Dirty Streets

NBC Bay City
Published on Jul 20, 2019
NBC Bay Area's reports on San Francisco’s dirty streets went viral last year and sparked a world-wide conversation. Our reporting revealed a dangerous concoction of drug needles, garbage, and feces lining the streets of downtown San Francisco. The Investigative Unit surveyed more than 150 blocks, including some of the city’s top tourist destinations, and discovered conditions that are now being compared to some of the worst slums in the world.

Can we focus some attention on human feces.