$500 for risking life, limb, and the future of you and your family?

• 112059's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #46522 by 112059

y4vix wrote: If I were an Atlanta Police Officer , I would have a suggestion as to where to put that $500.

"Atlanta cops continue to call out sick' after scores were a no-show yesterday as city claims it can handle 911 calls and every officer is given a $500 bonus for civil unrest shifts"

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8436929/Atlanta-cops-no-work-today-city-claims-handle-911-calls.html

You couldn't get me to be a police officer in this era even if the pay was $500 per hour.
If the officers worked 5 days a week for the 3 months that bonus is less than $8 per day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #46523 by tech-stitch

112059 wrote:

y4vix wrote: If I were an Atlanta Police Officer , I would have a suggestion as to where to put that $500.

"Atlanta cops continue to call out sick' after scores were a no-show yesterday as city claims it can handle 911 calls and every officer is given a $500 bonus for civil unrest shifts"

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8436929/Atlanta-cops-no-work-today-city-claims-handle-911-calls.html

You couldn't get me to be a police officer in this era even if the pay was $500 per hour.
If the officers worked 5 days a week for the 3 months that bonus is less than $8 per day.

Word! You couldn't have put it better for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #46534 by uhthisb
You folks seem extremely confused. APF is a non-profit whose purpose from day one was to support police rank-and-file, and public safety.

• Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #46537 by 112059

uhthisb wrote: You folks seem extremely confused. APF is a non-profit whose purpose from day one was to support police rank-and-file, and public safety.

The article I read was mainly about police protesting what they consider unjust charges by calling off work, the $500 was a bonus. If there is any confusion, it is what the $500 bonus is for, one line states "as a thank you for their work over past three months" and another line states "for working amid civil unrest". Maybe it is for both?

I stand by my previous comment: "You couldn't get me to be a police officer in this era even if the pay was $500 per hour.
If the officers worked 5 days a week for the 3 months that bonus is less than $8 per day."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #46538 by tech-stitch

uhthisb wrote: You folks seem extremely confused. APF is a non-profit whose purpose from day one was to support police rank-and-file, and public safety.

Based on your post, I believe there is a misunderstanding. For clarity, my response is merely for the sheer fact that no matter salary, benefits, or any other perk, I would not risk my life and that of my family by working within the force at the present time.

Let me be clear. I admire those with that calling and find them essential. Even with everything that's going on, I salute law enforcement and stand in solidarity with them.

I know many people in law enforcement that are great people of high ethical standards and morals, and I firmly believe that it is not fair for them to be getting all of these bad vibes and negative attitude - just because of the disgusting and inhumane actions of a select few.

In short, I do not endorse any sort of discrimination towards any individual or group. We are all human beings - period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, mmfacemm, 112059

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #46541 by uhthisb
Agreed but the first sentence of this thread...

...either makes no sense, or is based on misunderstanding what non-profits do (collect donations, and spend it to further their goals which in the case of APF is to support police rank-and-file).

If you're presuming that $500 per isn't enough, is that cuz you donated thousands to APF...
atlantapolicefoundation.ejoinme.org/MyPages/GeneralDonationPage/tabid/149358/Default.aspx
...and are wondering if they wasted some of it elsewhere?

If you're presuming that $500 per isn't enough, can I try to put you in touch with some other charity (there's lots of them but APF is the only one who did something nice like this LOL).

Or is this a call to the poor folks who donated to the WRONG causes? For example, the two major U.S. ski conglomerates donated millions to...

Tulane University School of Medicine for COVID-19 testing in NOLA,
Equal Justice Initiative,
Know Your Rights Camp,
Youth Organizations in the cities,
Black Lives Matter,
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and
Center for Constitutional Rights

news.vailresorts.com/corporate/vail-resorts-ceo-to-donate-117-million-from-sars-exercise-announces-grants-to-support-covid-19-efforts-racial-justice-reform-and-youth-access.htm

unofficialnetworks.com/2020/06/12/alterra-ceo-addressing-racism-in-america-in-letter-to-employees/

• Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 1 week ago #46774 by 112059

y4vix wrote: For those who have ever dreamed of getting a nice NYC apartment at a "bargain basement" price...your dream has come true!.....just wait a few more months.

New York City Lawmakers Slash $1 Billion from NYPD Budget; Protesters Say It Still Falls Short

newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/07/01/new-york-city-budget-2021/

(ta-ta....very best wishes to all.:) )

Back when I was young I went to NYC with some family and friends, the one friend who grew up in NYC decided to show us around. We drove around in an old van and we thought it was great until we came to a stoplight and he said "don't make eye contact with anyone". After his explanation of why and where we were, we said why did you bring us here? Needless to say we were on edge until we got out of there.
You could not pay me enough to live in NYC. Some think it's fascinating to look out over the city and see all of the lights, I like to look up in the night sky to see all of the stars shining without all of the light pollution.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #46789 by redrotors
The Manhattan (& many parts of Bklyn, Queens) of my youth has been so gentrified & "Disney-fied" as to be nearly unrecognizable vs. 30-40 years ago. Some wild times had in the "bad old days". Now? Mostly a bore when it's not being a hassle. Plenty money will reduce/eliminate the hassle but the bore remains.

Maybe I'm just being a grumpy (jaded?) old man ;)

112059 wrote: Back when I was young I went to NYC with some family and friends, the one friend who grew up in NYC decided to show us around. We drove around in an old van and we thought it was great until we came to a stoplight and he said "don't make eye contact with anyone". After his explanation of why and where we were, we said why did you bring us here? Needless to say we were on edge until we got out of there.
You could not pay me enough to live in NYC. Some think it's fascinating to look out over the city and see all of the lights, I like to look up in the night sky to see all of the stars shining without all of the light pollution.

• Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 2 days ago #46913 by 112059

redrotors wrote: The Manhattan (& many parts of Bklyn, Queens) of my youth has been so gentrified & "Disney-fied" as to be nearly unrecognizable vs. 30-40 years ago. Some wild times had in the "bad old days". Now? Mostly a bore when it's not being a hassle. Plenty money will reduce/eliminate the hassle but the bore remains.

Maybe I'm just being a grumpy (jaded?) old man ;)

112059 wrote: Back when I was young I went to NYC with some family and friends, the one friend who grew up in NYC decided to show us around. We drove around in an old van and we thought it was great until we came to a stoplight and he said "don't make eye contact with anyone". After his explanation of why and where we were, we said why did you bring us here? Needless to say we were on edge until we got out of there.

The location we went to was the Bronx. It looks like it may still be a bad area. Looks like this man made eye contact at :09. So sad.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soteria 2.0, y4vix

More
1 month 2 days ago #46918 by uhthisb

112059 wrote: we thought it was great until we came to a stoplight and he said "don't make eye contact with anyone". After his explanation of why and where we were, we said why did you bring us here? Needless to say we were on edge until we got out of there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo, 112059