Covid-19 +

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47398 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Covid-19 +
70 more studies in favor of mask use.

threader.app/thread/1279144399897866248
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47402 by redrotors
Replied by redrotors on topic Covid-19 +

KentE wrote: .......
There's a great chart showing the change in positive cases in counties with and without the mask mandate. Unfortunately, I've only found it shown at news sites behind paywalls.........

Google search trick often works. Post the article title. Google the title, use the direct result link. Often full article available (works for WSJ, maybe still for NYT, WaPo)

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #47403 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Covid-19 +
The Kansas counties mask wearing chart can be seen in the video in the following link---about 20 seconds in. It was also posted on Twitter today and I'll see if I can find it.

www.wibw.com/2020/08/06/dr-lee-norman-shows-graph-of-cases-per-capita-for-mask-mandated-and-non-mandated-counties/
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, dst11

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47404 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Covid-19 +
No mask = control group. :)

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #47407 by SuccessOne
Replied by SuccessOne on topic Covid-19 +
@realLexusl21 Normally these masks are for one-time use, but due to the pandemic, most have been re-using them due to the shortage and the high cost of this nowaday. I usually hang them out in the sun, recycle through about 7 masks at a time. If someone were using them 8 hours a day, they'd have to discard the masks sooner than someone just using them to go grocery shopping. I'd discard them if I have used these masks in hospitals, doctor offices, medical buildings, or somewhere there are a large gathering of people who don't wear face masks, just to be on the safe side. When in doubt, discard the mask and use a new one.

On the package, it said to have filtration of greater than 95% with 4 layers of protection. My personal opinion is these masks offer greater protection than ordinary fabric or surgical face masks that I see a lot of people wearing at the stores. Whether buying 3M N95 or KN95, beware there are fakes on eBay and online so be sure to buy from reputable sellers only! Fake masks won't be able to offer the protection that you may need!

Now they've lowered the price down to 10 masks for $18.89. Powecom KN95 Face Mask also available on Amazon through third party seller or on OfficeDepot www.officedepot.com/a/products/6528612/Powecom-KN95-Face-Masks-Adult-One/

Ear-loop masks are easier to put on and take off. The standard head strap on most 3M N95 provides more tighter fit but a little harder to put on and take off and tends to cost more per mask. If you're not working in hospital, I think ear-loop is more comfortable and better choice than head strap.

Face masks are one of the ways to protect against the virus, use some type of eye protection too as virus can get in through the eyes. Properly keep a distance of at least 6 feet away from others, stay away for crowded indoor events or large social gatherings, use hand sanitizers and wash hands often with soap, use knuckles to press elector buttons instead of your hands, sanitizers or wash your hands with soap when getting home before touching your doorknobs or unloading stuff from you pockets to avoid cross-contaminate your items.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47422 by SuccessOne

y4vix wrote: ?--:unsure: --?

The Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy ( CIDRAP ) is a center within the University of Minnesota that focuses on addressing public health preparedness and emerging infectious disease response.

From their web site : Original Post 4/1/2020...updated 7/16/2020

COMMENTARY: Masks-for-all for COVID-19 not based on sound data.
www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

CIDRAP homepage: www.cidrap.umn.edu/

Yes screw face masks, and social distancing. Injecting and drinking disinfectants to ward off the evil coronavirus is much more effective and cost-effective as proclaimed by their almighty cult leader Trump! LOL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KBOrtega

More
1 month 1 week ago #47448 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Covid-19 +
I spent time reading through the CIDRAP article. There scientific objections to the contention that mask usage is effective is very good in some ways (and not new), and not so good in other ways.

It does bother me that they're only willing to consider well-documented standard tests, but ignore that those well-documented standard tests were not done specifically with real people, in real situations, with real Covid infections-- and that there's not that much evidence that the standard testing protocol for masks is directly applicable to Covid 19. (They bemoan the lack of such studies: but I'm not sure how you ethically run a test to by putting Covid-positive & infectious folks in direct contact with Covid-negative to run those controlled tests.)

The forgone conclusion that there is no adequate for a proper N95 rated mask that has been professionally fit-tested is well excepted: too bad that for anyone not directly in hospital or research facilities has any chance at all of obtaining a fit test, even if N95's were available.

But: the important takeaway for anyone using CIDRAP's arguments to downplay the possible effectiveness of universal mask wearing is that you need to follow CIDRAP's conclusions all the way to the end:

"Do we support cloth mask wearing where mandated?

Despite the current limited scientific data detailing their effectiveness, we support the wearing of face coverings by the public when mandated and when in close contact with people whose infection status they don't know. However, we also encourage everyone to continue to limit their time spent indoors near potentially infectious people and to not count on or expect a cloth mask or face covering to protect them or the people around them. The pandemic is not over and will not likely be over for some time. As states and local jurisdictions reopen, we encourage people to continue to assess and limit their risks. Cloth masks and face coverings likely do not offer the same degree of protection as physical distancing, isolation, or limiting personal contact time."

And, from a recent update linked from CIDRAP's home page, Dr Osterholm says:

"At the outset, I want to make several points crystal clear:

I support the wearing of cloth face coverings (masks) by the general public.
Stop citing CIDRAP and me as grounds to not wear masks, whether mandated or not.
Don't, however, use the wearing of cloth face coverings as an excuse to decrease other crucial, likely more effective, protective steps, like physical distancing
Also, don't use poorly conducted studies to support a contention that wearing cloth face coverings will drive the pandemic into the ground. But even if they reduce infection risk somewhat, wearing them can be important."

www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/07/commentary-my-views-cloth-face-coverings-public-preventing-covid-19
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih, dst11

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #47457 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Covid-19 +

Mask on hamsters, nice! :)

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #47479 by SuccessOne
For all you "essential workers" working at essential stores like Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc.

Wear N95 or KN95 masks for better protection against coronavirus! There is a Walmart near me, over 11 of their employees tested positive for COVID-19. They were all wearing surgical masks that Walmart passed out to their employees for free every day or provide their own masks. Evidently, surgery masks weren't enough protection because so many got infected that store has to close down for deep cleaning for couple of days.

Costco near me too has employees coming down with Covid-19. And other grocery stores, employees are also getting infected. It's up to you to protect your health because those coming there don't care if they'll pass the virus onto you! Wear that face shield that your employers provided. If they don't, buy one yourself. Or stay behind those plexiglasses!

To those customers coming in these stores, these are private businesses, you're stepping on their property. They have the right to enforce face masks requirements upon entering their premises. Don't want wear face masks, then shop online. These "essential" workers don't need to get sick or come down with Covid-19 to cater to those reckless fools who believe it's their rights to not wear face masks everywhere they go!!!!

P.S. Covid-19 testing usually takes only 24 hours to get results (at least where I live), so if you're experiencing any symptom, call your doctors to see if you need to be tested.

• JS
  • Cans+String
  • Cans+String
More
1 month 1 day ago #47797 by JS
Replied by JS on topic Covid-19 +
Don the Con is supposed to have an announcement Sunday evening regarding a therapeutic . I will guess Leronlimab provided he is somewhat coherent. If he is off his rocker again, then it will be about Oleandrin or something related to demons and/or aliens.