Pause for thought

• y4vix
  • y4vix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #43826 by y4vix
Pause for thought was created by y4vix
As I now see what's going on in the world with recent pandemics and historical upheavals, it has given me pause for thought.
The time and energy I've spent over the last few years trying to save a dollar or two on cell/data plans could have been spent far more productively
on other pursuits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, KBOrtega

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #43827 by SuccessOne
Replied by SuccessOne on topic Pause for thought
So True! Completely agree!

More
1 month 3 days ago #43829 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Pause for thought

y4vix wrote: As I now see what's going on in the world with recent pandemics and historical upheavals, it has given me pause for thought.
The time and energy I've spent over the last few years trying to save a dollar or two on cell/data plans could have been spent far more productively
on other pursuits.

Thought is good. I like the George Eliot quote below about how what appears to be little, insignificant acts of everyday people have, at the end of the day, a profound effect on reducing mankind's pain and suffering.

“But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.” --George Eliot, Middlemarch

The following user(s) said Thank You: als, y4vix

More
1 month 2 days ago #43834 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Pause for thought
For most people, here, cellphones are a hobby.

Most hobbies cost money, whereas this hobby saves money.

If one believes that hobbies are good things then I think there's nothing wrong with spending time searching for bargain cellphones and plans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih, Isamorph, y4vix

More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #43835 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Pause for thought
You just wasted 2 minutes of my life that could have been spent researching cellphone plans.

Seriously though at least these sites help people. Some of that money may end up towards good causes. Or not. At least there is a chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, realLexusl21, y4vix

• y4vix
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
1 month 2 days ago #43836 by y4vix
Replied by y4vix on topic Pause for thought
A line from Isamorph's above comment: "what appears to be little, insignificant acts of everyday people have, at the end of the day, a profound effect on reducing mankind's pain and suffering"

Something I have come to appreciate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Mark

More
1 month 1 day ago - 1 month 1 day ago #43840 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic Pause for thought

Chelle wrote: For most people, here, cellphones are a hobby.

Most hobbies cost money, whereas this hobby saves money.

If one believes that hobbies are good things then I think there's nothing wrong with spending time searching for bargain cellphones and plans.

I totally agree. There are so many benefits to hanging out on this forum. I love the sense of camaraderie here. People share their knowledge freely, very grateful for that. Also, not everything can be – or should be – quantified in terms of money, imho. I just like hanging out here!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle, Isamorph

More
1 month 1 day ago #43843 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
To have a Grateful Heart is beneficial in any manner which it may be accomplished.

This forum is definitely a wonderful gathering place with many sincere, genuine, kind folks as 'regulars' here.

Having a cellular phone of some sort is (pretty much...) a necessity nowadays - at least here in the US.

The cooperation & assistance of others made possible here is a great asset in fulfilling such a need.

I am very grateful for the ability to enjoy this resource and extend my thanks to the Good Folks here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Chosen

• y4vix
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #44012 by y4vix
Replied by y4vix on topic Pause for thought
I have spent a great deal of time over the last few weeks reading every trustworthy article I could find as regards the Coronavirus
I have a good grasp of the basics, but there are so many questions that even the experts can't answer at this point..
If there were ever a time for leaders of good intent to put partisanship aside and act as statespersons, this is it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #44013 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Pause for thought
So true, the government and all citizens must give their best.

The fact that Covid-19 is a new, novel virus, unlike others that have been around for decades or thousands of years, leads to our current ignorance about it. Fortunately for children and the younger demographic in the US, the virus will evidently have mild outcomes for them, but for the large, significant, older segment of people in the US, the outcome may well be tragic.

What is worrisome, unless the government provides free testing and free care, is 78 million without the money to pay for checkups, treatment, etc. who may become big community spreaders of Covid-19 to the 103 million and/or 60% of Americans who have risk factors for this virus.

"About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families."

"An estimated 103 million U.S. adults have high blood pressure, according to new statistics from the American Heart Association. That’s nearly half of all adults in the United States. "

"Over 60 percent of Americans have an underlying health problem that could contribute to a poor outcome with this event.”

Informative Map of Covid-19:

gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

www.heart.org/en/news/2018/05/01/more-than-100-million-americans-have-high-blood-pressure-aha-says

www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-mortality-rate/2020/03/06/b0c4cdfc-5efc-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: y4vix