Recommendations for the best AND cheapest online tax preparation site ??

• Diedrich_Duo
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 11 months ago #21 by Diedrich_Duo
Thanks for the update and here's to many happy returns! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tech-stitch
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
1 year 11 months ago #22 by tech-stitch
I got mine done free using the H&R free option right from the IRS site as I have done in past years. Easy and trouble free - every time! As far as data mining, well... That's another matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

• Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
  • Extraterrestrial_Zoologist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 11 months ago #23 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Replied by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist on topic Recommendations for the best AND cheapest online tax preparation site ??
All done via freetaxusa - painlessly, quickly & efiled.
Phew.

• redrotors
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #24 by redrotors
Interesting development

Intuit Near Deal to Buy Credit Karma for $7 Billion

Snippets from the WSJ:
"The deal would mark Intuit’s largest acquisition by far in its 37-year history and the first sizable transaction under Chief Executive Sasan Goodarzi, who took over a little more than a year ago."

"Under the deal being discussed, Credit Karma would operate as a stand-alone unit with its chief executive, Kenneth Lin, remaining in charge, one of the people said. But joining forces could allow both Credit Karma and Intuit to fine-tune their recommendations to customers by expanding the trove of financial data they use to make suggestions."

My personal conspiracy theory is, maketing shmarketing, Intuit saw CK plucking too much low hanging fruit / money / business volume from turbo tax.

IF the buyout happens will be curious to see how it affects CK free tax preparation capabilities.

Oldest business trick out there, when the startup challenges your bottom line buy them out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

• Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 year 10 months ago #25 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Replied by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist on topic Recommendations for the best AND cheapest online tax preparation site ??
Yep, especially given who the parent company is...

• ajzwilli
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
11 months 4 weeks ago #26 by ajzwilli
Anyone have any new recommendatoins for this tax year? After using Credit Karma for the previous few years, my 2019 tax return that I filed in 2020 started with Credit Karma, but they did not support a form I needed so I switched to using IRS Free Fillable Forms last year.  You are able to complete and efile for free directly with the IRS.  For my state income taxes, I was able to file directly with them as well.  I did use my Credit Karma tax return that I had started to double check all the numbers.  If you prefer to fill out via form versus questions this may be the solution for you as you fill out the forms/worksheets directly and they are all linked.  Took more time the Credit Karma/Turbo Tax/HR Block, but for those of you who like filling out paper forms you should check this out.  It opens on Feb 12 this year.  

• Isamorph
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #27 by Isamorph

Anyone have any new recommendatoins for this tax year? After using Credit Karma for the previous few years, my 2019 tax return that I filed in 2020 started with Credit Karma, but they did not support a form I needed so I switched to using IRS Free Fillable Forms last year.  You are able to complete and efile for free directly with the IRS.  For my state income taxes, I was able to file directly with them as well.  I did use my Credit Karma tax return that I had started to double check all the numbers.  If you prefer to fill out via form versus questions this may be the solution for you as you fill out the forms/worksheets directly and they are all linked.  Took more time the Credit Karma/Turbo Tax/HR Block, but for those of you who like filling out paper forms you should check this out.  It opens on Feb 12 this year.  

Maybe not new, but:

slickdeals.net/article/list/best-online-tax-service/?bsft_eid
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

• Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #28 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Last year we used Freetaxusa & of course all the info is there already for its re-use if desired.

Closest competitor appears to be Taxact...
There seems to be no great reason to switch, comparison-wise, so=>
Just using the same place again seems most logical.

Thanks for the reminder !!

• sovashadow
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
11 months 3 weeks ago - 11 months 3 weeks ago #29 by sovashadow
I am also using freetaxusa. I used turbotax last year and I am still mad how much money I owed them because of my situation. Glad to be switching.

• mmfacemm
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #30 by mmfacemm

I got mine done free using the H&R free option right from the IRS site as I have done in past years. Easy and trouble free - every time! As far as data mining, well... That's another matter.

HRBlock are not part of the irs free file this year.  Very annoyed with that.