Free Windows Upgrades Still In Effect for Win 7 & 8

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #42703 by peterquinn
Is there a way to recover my Windows password - when I don't have access to Windows on any other machine? Thanks for any help.

(I searched, and found this - www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-windows-7-password-reset-disk/ But "reset password" needs me to have a previously-created "reset password drive" - which I don't have. And Parted Magic needs me to have access to Windows - which I am locked out of, since I don't remember my password).

So I guess my question becomes - is there any way to get into Windows using Linux if you have forgotten your Windows password? Many thanks if you can solve this sticky problem for me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #42704 by st3fx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, peterquinn, puppydude

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #42738 by dst11

Isamorph wrote: Maybe this link will work for you.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how/

link says:

To get Windows 10, you’ll just have to download and run Media Creation Tool on Windows 7/8/8.1 and upgrade the PC to Windows 10. After the upgrade, connect to the internet and your older Windows license will be converted to a Windows 10 license.

So, will the W7 license change to a W10 license and you'll lose the W7 license, or will the W7 license become a W7-&-W10 license? I try to see if I can install W10 to a new partition and leave W7 as it is.

• Chelle
  • Chelle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #42740 by Chelle

dst11 wrote:

Isamorph wrote: Maybe this link will work for you.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how/

link says:

To get Windows 10, you’ll just have to download and run Media Creation Tool on Windows 7/8/8.1 and upgrade the PC to Windows 10. After the upgrade, connect to the internet and your older Windows license will be converted to a Windows 10 license.

So, will the W7 license change to a W10 license and you'll lose the W7 license, or will the W7 license become a W7-&-W10 license? I try to see if I can install W10 to a new partition and leave W7 as it is.

I don't think you'll be able to have your cake and eat it, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #42741 by dst11
Oh no... Thanks for the reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #42748 by Isamorph
Here's another path to upgrade from W7 to W10 that one can walk away from while your pc is upgrading. I wouldn't try this method if one's W7 is dual booting with another OS, for you pc will likely not reboot automatically, as the article states, during the upgrade.

lifehacker.com/quickly-upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free-with-t-1840843214

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #42751 by st3fx

dst11 wrote: Oh no... Thanks for the reply.

What if @dst11 clones the existing Windows 7 partition to a new partition or drive, then upgrades one of the Windows 7 installations to Windows 10?

• Chelle
  • Chelle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #42752 by Chelle

st3fx wrote:

dst11 wrote: Oh no... Thanks for the reply.

What if @dst11 clones the existing Windows 7 partition to a new partition or drive, then upgrades one of the Windows 7 installations to Windows 10?

It won't hurt to try but I suspect that Microsoft will throw up a few roadblocks.

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #42847 by Isamorph
Win, Win For M$
With 1/3 (lots of millions) of the world's PCs still running on Windows 7, and it's free support from Microsoft ending today, there will be millions paid by businesses and the like to M$ for continued support of W7 as well as millions spent buying W10 or a new PC with W10 on it. Pretty good haul for Microsoft in the coming days, I would say.

www.rt.com/news/478222-microsoft-windows-7-users-support/
Attachments:

More
1 week 2 days ago #42849 by redrotors
Can an individual user still follow the FREE upgrade to windows 10 path or does that end now also?