Best cheapest way to call for help if stranded in the mountains w/o cell signal?

More
2 months 1 week ago #40597 by realLexusl21
If memory serves me. There are ones for the car also. Stringer then hand held

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• als
  • Smartphone
  • Smartphone
More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #40598 by als
The Ham test is not at all difficult. Free study materials online and test pool questions are on theAARLsite. www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license . Think about the dividend received being able to save yourself or someone else in an emergency. The test is not difficult at all. it is not expensive and the benefits to you and others are enormous.
Hams are currently actively involved in Hurricane Dorian emergency operations and will be critical to relief operations as most traditional telecommunications systems have been wiped out. www.arrl.org/news/major-hurricane-dorian-prompts-sustained-activations
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Isamorph

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #40599 by realLexusl21
If I remember correctly there's a certain language involved.

Plus it is quite possible to get Asia and other countries. Depending on the ionosphere, clouds ect

More
2 months 1 week ago #40600 by joseph
I think the Morse Code knowledge requirement for a ham license has been eliminated.

More
2 months 1 week ago #40601 by KentE
Isamorph writes: "My son took the test when he was 13 or 14 and got his license, so it's not that difficult, "

Methinks your son must have really wanted that license, and worked diligently to get it.
"Not that difficult" is relative: I'm not a ham operator, and have no experience with it-- but I do have some job-related knowledge of electrical circuits in general, and Radio Frequency transmission in particular.

I just completed a sample test from one of Isamorph's links, and got 22 questions correct -- not enough to pass.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #40602 by Isamorph

KentE wrote: Isamorph writes: "My son took the test when he was 13 or 14 and got his license, so it's not that difficult, "

Methinks your son must have really wanted that license, and worked diligently to get it.
"Not that difficult" is relative: I'm not a ham operator, and have no experience with it-- but I do have some job-related knowledge of electrical circuits in general, and Radio Frequency transmission in particular.

I just completed a sample test from one of Isamorph's links, and got 22 questions correct -- not enough to pass.

22 seems excellent for no ham radio experience( spend about 8 hours studying and you should pass with flying colors ):). My son had substantial experience operating a sophisticated ham radio set up prior to taking the test thanks to the tutelage and mentorship of this old fellow who was a friend and who had been a ham radio expert for most of his life. My son became an IP lawyer, and some of his work today deals with radio, electrical, and high tech engineering concepts in general, concepts that he started grasping via his ham radio days. So small change. And I guess the license test is relatively easy or hard depending on the circumstances. Probably best to just spend a few hundred dollars for a PLB device to have for a life-threating emergency since one went to the middle of nowhere not to call someone up, let's hope.

www.qsl.net/w5www/famous.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_licensing_in_the_United_States
The following user(s) said Thank You: KBOrtega