Best cheapest way to call for help if stranded in the mountains w/o cell signal?

More
2 months 1 week ago #40586 by peterquinn
Hope the knowledgeable folks here can help with this -- assume there's no cell phone signal for miles around and you get stranded when you are up in the mountains. You may be hurt or injured or lost. What's the best way to call for help? Is there something inexpensive but reliable that I can buy to be prepared for such a situation? Thanks for all suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #40587 by realLexusl21
Satellite phone, but they used to be expensive I bet they still are.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #40588 by Isamorph

peterquinn wrote: Hope the knowledgeable folks here can help with this -- assume there's no cell phone signal for miles around and you get stranded when you are up in the mountains. You may be hurt or injured or lost. What's the best way to call for help? Is there something inexpensive but reliable that I can buy to be prepared for such a situation? Thanks for all suggestions.

A good pair of lungs. Or a $5 whistle. But seriously, I doubt you'll find something that is both relatively inexpensive and reliable. But for about $300, you can get a PBL device that might save your life, which seems reasonable.

www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-Find-220-PLB/dp/B008OPJGBC/ref

www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
2 months 1 week ago #40589 by Chelle

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #40590 by realLexusl21

Chelle wrote: CB or VHF radio.

Ham radio seems prices have really dropped and units have miniatureized

UV5R Radio 5W Ham Radio on Amazon. $35
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
2 months 1 week ago #40591 by joseph

realLexusl21 wrote:

You need an FCC license to operate an amateur radio.

More
2 months 1 week ago #40592 by KentE

joseph wrote:

realLexusl21 wrote:

But perhaps if you operated it only in life-threatening circumstances, it would be worth the risk of a license violation.

Licensing isn't very expensive: $15 for the required test (repeated if you fail & have to take it again.) If you pass the test, I think the license itself is free. (The basic license doesn't allow you to use all frequencies.) Plan on $25 or more for a study guide, unless perhaps your library system has one availabile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
2 months 1 week ago #40594 by joseph

KentE wrote:

joseph wrote:

realLexusl21 wrote:

But perhaps if you operated it only in life-threatening circumstances, it would be worth the risk of a license violation.

Licensing isn't very expensive: $15 for the required test (repeated if you fail & have to take it again.) If you pass the test, I think the license itself is free. (The basic license doesn't allow you to use all frequencies.) Plan on $25 or more for a study guide, unless perhaps your library system has one availabile.

How difficult is it to pass the exam? How much time needs to be invested to study?

More
2 months 1 week ago #40595 by KentE
I haven't taken it. From what I've read, it will take studying. The questions are pulled at random from a pool of about 400 standard questions.. I think 35 questions, and you have to answer 26 correctly. The study guides cover the possible pool of 400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #40596 by Isamorph
My son took the test when he was 13 or 14 and got his license, so it's not that difficult, but as KentE mentioned it will take time to study(or memorize 400 questions and answers)for it, actually quite a bit of time for people not familiar with the subject matter(radio waves, basic physics, electrical theory, etc.) One can contact a local ham operator club that usually has someone certified to administer the test. Also, someone in the club will likely lend you study materials. I might add that using a hand-held short wave radio as an emergency device does has limitations, depending on where one is at, that could leave one down in the canyon without a signal.

talkieman.com/can-i-take-the-ham-radio-license-test-online/
talkieman.com/best-emergency-ham-radio-for-backpacking/
hamexam.org/exam/15-Technician
www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/amateur-radio-service/volunteer-examiner-coordinators
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, Extraterrestrial_Zoologist