Cord cutters Delight

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #37118 by Isamorph
I was unaware of this non-profit entity until now, and hopefully, they will succeed in bringing the major local channels to everyone for free without the need for an OTA antenna. Internet service required, though.

“Locast is bringing the public mission of free, local broadcast to a new generation of cord-cutters and Internet-only video consumers. With the addition of Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD, Locast has now provided almost a third of U.S. television households with a way to watch local broadcast TV, even if you do not subscribe to pay-TV or cannot receive an over-the-air signal.”

www.cordcuttersnews.com/you-can-now-stream-locals-for-free-on-the-apple-tv-thanks-to-locast/

www.locast.org/
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #37119 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Cord cutters Delight
I've been using them for about a year. The reliability has greatly improved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, st3fx

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #37120 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Cord cutters Delight
So no more breaking away to a donations page every few minutes? Some users were complaining about that on the link provided.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #37121 by Nunodat
Replied by Nunodat on topic Cord cutters Delight

Chelle wrote: I've been using them for about a year. The reliability has greatly improved.

Which market have you been using it in? I tried it in New York and it was so frustrating, I decided it wasn't enough of a benefit for me.

I like the idea of what they're trying to offer, but for me it seemed like they were going through growing pains.

How have they improved?0

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #37122 by Nunodat
Replied by Nunodat on topic Cord cutters Delight

PEW wrote: So no more breaking away to a donations page every few minutes? Some users were complaining about that on the link provided.

That still happens often in the NY market.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #37123 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Cord cutters Delight

PEW wrote: So no more breaking away to a donations page every few minutes? Some users were complaining about that on the link provided.

Let's just say it costs $5 a month donation to get uninterrupted local tv coverage, which is still a great deal, if not interrupted and the streaming and picture quality is acceptable.

"Why? Because every 15 minutes, the broadcast is interrupted by a request for the membership contribution. Actually, the broadcast isn’t just interrupted — it’s completely stopped. After the plea for money is over, you aren’t returned to your program, but bounced back to the programming grid. If you want to continue to watch your show, you have to click on it again — and say goodbye to any dialogue you may have missed in the meantime. (While I didn’t pony up the $5 requested, judging from user comments for the Android app, members do get to watch shows uninterrupted.)

EVERY 15 MINUTES, THE BROADCAST IS INTERRUPTED FOR A REQUEST FOR THE MEMBERSHIP CONTRIBUTION
If you do choose to donate, you can pay either via credit card, PayPal, or bitcoin. I could find no information on the site about how to cancel a subscription, and the only obvious way to contact the company was through an online form. So if you’ve agreed to a monthly payment and then later change your mind, you can try the form, but if you’re in a hurry, you may need to cancel by stopping payment on your card services."

www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18236704/locast-review-streaming-free-local-programming-tv

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #37124 by lexusl21
Replied by lexusl21 on topic Cord cutters Delight
Isn't the whole point is to have ota with a side of Roku?

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #37131 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic Cord cutters Delight
I was able to manually enter a lower dollar amount ($1) for monthly recurring "donation" earlier this year. I canceled before second month recurring payment since I no longer required the service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #37135 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Cord cutters Delight

st3fx wrote: I was able to manually enter a lower dollar amount ($1) for monthly recurring "donation" earlier this year. I canceled before second month recurring payment since I no longer required the service.

I was wondering if after you signed on to the recurring monthly donation you were able to watch uninterrupted tv without the donation message constantly appearing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #37138 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic Cord cutters Delight

Isamorph wrote:

st3fx wrote: I was able to manually enter a lower dollar amount ($1) for monthly recurring "donation" earlier this year. I canceled before second month recurring payment since I no longer required the service.

I was wondering if after you signed on to the recurring monthly donation you were able to watch uninterrupted tv without the donation message constantly appearing?

Yes, the nagging messages stopped after my $1 "donation".

I recall having read a user's account on reddit claiming the nagging messages returned less than a month following his/her donation. The user speculated the donation covered X hours of viewing time. Unverified.

This is where I got the idea to set up a monthly/recurring $1 payment instead of one-time, though I have no idea if this made any difference. I was only watching The Orville on Fox and little else. The nagging messages never returned for me in that month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph