Thinking of buying Moto E4 - any advice, suggestions?

More
3 months 1 week ago #36664 by peterquinn
So I need a phone and am looking at the Moto E4 ( www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-e-gen-4 ) mainly because of the price and because it says it can be used on all 4 carriers.

Do you guys know of any cheaper alternatives or hacks? (Don't want to buy a used or refurbished phone though). TIA for any advice, tips or suggestions!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #36665 by mmfacemm
The moto E4 is my favorite budget phone that I own. Great choice if you can get a good price. $70 is good.

I would look at the moto X4 too if you are willing to spend more. It is a significantly better phone and fairly cheap these days. You get a ton of extras like ip68, ultra wide camera, larger screen, updated os, better processor and ram etc.

It is $150 at BH photo with a 3 month mint sim plan included for free (worth $60) www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449873-REG/moto_pa8s0024us_moto_x4_android_one.html

You can also get a moto g6 by signing up for googlefi, activating and cancelling service pretty much straight away. They only charge you for the day or so you have it activated so maybe a buck extra. $100.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #36666 by peterquinn
Thanks for the suggestions, mmface. About the G6, are GoogleFi phones kinda like TextNow phones -- where you have to modify/root the phone in order to get it to work on other carriers?

mmfacemm wrote: .... ...
You can also get a moto g6 by signing up for googlefi, activating and cancelling service pretty much straight away. They only charge you for the day or so you have it activated so maybe a buck extra. $100.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #36667 by mmfacemm

peterquinn wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, mmface. About the G6, are GoogleFi phones kinda like TextNow phones -- where you have to modify/root the phone in order to get it to work on other carriers?

mmfacemm wrote: .... ...
You can also get a moto g6 by signing up for googlefi, activating and cancelling service pretty much straight away. They only charge you for the day or so you have it activated so maybe a buck extra. $100.


No it is completely unlocked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterquinn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #36669 by KentE
The Moto E4 is a great deal at $70! We have one, and my only complaint is that it does not have persistent audio notifications for missed calls or texts. (I found a good free app on Google play that works well for persistent notifications, although the $2.99 premium version is needed if you use Google Voice. I'm using a different free app that works fine with Google Voice & the native number, but it's a pain to set up.....)

This is the cheapest 4 carrier phone I'm aware of new, and it is certified for VoLTE on Verizon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterquinn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #36673 by peterquinn
About the GoogleFi Moto G6 - has anyone canceled service and gotten away with keeping the G6? (I have tried contacting Google in the past and it was almost impossible to get any help. That wasn't for GoogleFi but it still makes me apprehensive to have to deal with anything Google).

So I guess my question is - will it be painful to cancel GoogleFi service and get to keep the G6?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #36676 by tom88
I am interest in this e4 too. My questions is it compatible with sprint? since Sprint has different LTE bands and I need both T-mobile and Sprint, that means I need LTE band 2 and band 4 on tmovile and able to register on Sprint.
I look up the Sprint version xt1755 that don't have band 2 and 4, if I order from the web, which one I should order
Thanks for suggestion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #36677 by 112059

tom88 wrote: I am interest in this e4 too. My questions is it compatible with sprint? since Sprint has different LTE bands and I need both T-mobile and Sprint, that means I need LTE band 2 and band 4 on tmovile and able to register on Sprint.
I look up the Sprint version xt1755 that don't have band 2 and 4, if I order from the web, which one I should order
Thanks for suggestion.



carrier compatibility chart shows all 4 major carriers, including Sprint www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility


Moto E4 bands from Motorola website:

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

WCDMA B1 (2100)/ B2 (1900)/ B4 (1700/2100)/ B5 (850)/ B8 (900)MHz

CDMA BC0 (850) BC1 (1900) BC10 (850+)

LTE TDD 38/41

FDD Band 1/2/4/5/7/8/12(lower 700 1bc)/13 (upper 700)/17 (lower 700 bc)/25/26/66


I would get the one from Motorola as the Sprint one would most likely be limited to Sprint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #36678 by KentE

tom88 wrote: I am interest in this e4 too. My questions is it compatible with sprint? since Sprint has different LTE bands and I need both T-mobile and Sprint, that means I need LTE band 2 and band 4 on tmovile and able to register on Sprint.
I look up the Sprint version xt1755 that don't have band 2 and 4, if I order from the web, which one I should order
Thanks for suggestion.


My wife used our factory-unlocked Moto E4 on Sprint for a while, and it worked great, with reception as good or better than the Sprint-branded LG she'd used before.. (She since switched back to the LG, just because she liked the swipe-to-answer setup better on the LG.)

I used the factory-unlocked Moto E4 on a T-Mobile MVNO (Mint Mobile) for a couple of months, and it worked great there, too. It doesn't have the newest T-Mo band 71, but that isn't active in our area yet anyway-- and very few phones support it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #36684 by peterquinn
KentE wrote: "My wife used our factory-unlocked Moto E4 on Sprint for a while, and it worked great, with reception as good or better than the Sprint-branded LG she'd used before.. (She since switched back to the LG, just because she liked the swipe-to-answer setup better on the LG.)"

How do you answer on the Moto E4? TIA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.