What do you think about the Trump presidency?

• JTSR71
  • JTSR71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2890 by JTSR71
Some time has now passed and we have a feel for how the next 4 years might be. This is what worries me the most:

- The approach to security. America already has an over militarized police as well as aggressive border police. As a permanent resident, not a citizen, I've had to give thought about what happens when I decide to travel overseas and have to re-enter the country. My kids are at the age where they want to travel abroad themselves but the situation now is that they would have to be accompanied or I would have to have a lawyer on speed dial for their return.

The problem is that the "trust" and "discretion" and amendments to policy and policy interpretation, empowers people who are already in positions of power. The stories that have come out about how legal people have been questioned and treated are not in line with the values of western democracies. This is because people who are already authoritarian in nature have been given a freer rein to act irrationally.

-The EPA. Oklahoma is now more seismically active than California. This is due to fracking which in turn happened because of an overly powerful fossil fuel lobby in that state. The AG of that state, Scott Pruitt, has been a supporter of that lobby and highly critical of the EPA.

I enjoy the clean air here in California. The very diesels that predominate in western European countries and elsewhere because of their previously claimed environmental friendliness, were never clean enough for California. Whatever some of the excesses of the environmental lobby in California, clean air has never been a controversial topic here. And the science and people have proven to be right on this issue.

The problem with environmental issues is that what other people do affects you and there is little you can do about it. I feel I could navigate, mitigate and manage changes in other areas such as healthcare and tax, but on environmental issues what can you do eg if you're an Oklahoman with low income who can't afford to move? Some of those people, as with the people of Flint, have suffered terribly.

Other aspects trouble me as well, but it would become a very long post to cover them all. In terms of concerns for other Americans, the biggest would have to be healthcare. The worry that some people must be going through right now, must be horrendous.

Lastly, so many times we read about people who only changed their tune about policies when their personal circumstances change. Dick Cheney on gay marriage. Countless GOP supporters about Obamacare. Additionally, the country is divided by party lines right now, to the extent that there are truly two sets of "facts" that exist. No matter what their leaders say or do, they will support it. To them, the other side is simply evil.

I personally feel that one side is far more responsible and guilty of this than the other, but as long we have this duality of selfishness ie vote against things for others when you're not a "taker" but change your mind when you're in need, and the selfishness of needing your own set of facts to suit your beliefs, then I don't see any end to the problems we have and this is in fact the biggest worry I have about the next 4 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2891 by mmfacemm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, JTSR71

More
2 years 11 months ago #2898 by Isamorph

mmfacemm wrote: Everything?

++++1

More
2 years 11 months ago #2899 by Isamorph
"I enjoy the clean air here in California. The very diesels that predominate in western European countries and elsewhere because of their previously claimed environmental friendliness, were never clean enough for California. Whatever some of the excesses of the environmental lobby in California, clean air has never been a controversial topic here. And the science and people have proven to be right on this issue."

I'm with you on the inability to successfully deal with environmental issues. But I wanted to make a point about California's clean air and how it got that way. I do not know where you live in CA, but I wanted to say that at age one I crawled across the wall-less border and resided in the Los Angeles area for the next 29 or so years and still reside not too far from there. If one Googles images of LA smog in the 1950s, you will see environmental clouds of killer particulates and perhaps a few people wearing gas masks around while driving on the freeways. I lived through this period, but was lucky to have lived near the beach where the smog was not as dense as other places in LA. But, what do you know, this smog was eliminated by the passing of strict auto emission laws ( probably the toughest in the world) and other industrial emission laws. This transformation of the air in
Los Angeles is a great example of what can done if people are willing. Oh, I was joking about crawling to LA, for I could walk then.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JTSR71

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2900 by siskiou
-The lack of knowledge and leadership, and the level of paranoia in this administration
-The people that get chosen to lead the country have seriously scary opinions, and no clue how most Americans live (meaning the poor and lower middle class). If they do know, they don't care and think a low income worker "deserves" their lot.
- A lot of people close to the president don't dare speak their mind for fear of being fired or worse
- The new healthcare "plan" that will leave a lot of people with no choices, if they happen to have one of the many jobs that does not offer health insurance. If pre-excisting conditions can be excluded again, there you go! Many people have to choose between a doctor's visit or food on the table for the kids
-Our environment will be ruined by the current administration: water, air, the oceans, the land and forests
-Other countries are losing respect for the USA
-The president has a serious problem with temper and he has control over nuclear weapons. He does not listen to or believe his advisers
-Bannon has a lot of influence over the president
-Abandoning allies (Nato etc.) will allow other countries to take over (Russia and China are already celebrating)
-Worker safety just went out the window, too.
-Rising hate crime

I could go on for hours ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2901 by mmfacemm

siskiou wrote: -Other countries are losing respect for the USA

I'm afraid it has been that way long before Trump was sworn in. Though it certainly has and will continue to get worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
2 years 11 months ago #2902 by siskiou

mmfacemm wrote:

siskiou wrote: -Other countries are losing respect for the USA

I'm afraid it has been that way long before Trump was sworn in. Though it certainly has and will continue to get worse.

It's getting worse by the hour.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2903 by Isamorph

JTSR71 wrote: Some time has now passed and we have a feel for how the next 4 years might be. This is what worries me the most:

"- The approach to security. America already has an over militarized police as well as aggressive border police. As a permanent resident, not a citizen, I've had to give thought about what happens when I decide to travel overseas and have to re-enter the country. My kids are at the age where they want to travel abroad themselves but the situation now is that they would have to be accompanied or I would have to have a lawyer on speed dial for their return.

The problem is that the "trust" and "discretion" and amendments to policy and policy interpretation, empowers people who are already in positions of power. The stories that have come out about how legal people have been questioned and treated are not in line with the values of western democracies. This is because people who are already authoritarian in nature have been given a freer rein to act irrationally.

Other aspects trouble me as well, but it would become a very long post to cover them all. In terms of concerns for other Americans, the biggest would have to be healthcare. The worry that some people must be going through right now, must be horrendous."
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Yes, the thought that one must have a lawyer on call when leaving the country is scary. A pertinent recent example, that you most likely are familiar with, was the scholar from France who had been coming to the US for thirty years for work and lecturing, and was held at the border and denied entrance because a US border agent was ignorant of labor laws concerning lecturers or something to that effect. He was lucky because he had immediate access to Dean of the law school of the University where he was to give a lecture. The humiliating experience left him vowing not to return to the US anytime soon. Power and ignorance. Scary stuff indeed.

• JTSR71
  • JTSR71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2904 by JTSR71

Isamorph wrote: Yes, the thought that one must have a lawyer on call when leaving the country is scary. A pertinent recent example, that you most likely are familiar with, was the scholar from France who had been coming to the US for thirty years for work and lecturing, and was held at the border and denied entrance because a US border agent was ignorant of labor laws concerning lecturers or something to that effect. He was lucky because he had immediate access to Dean of the law school of the University where he was to give a lecture. The humiliating experience left him vowing not to return to the US anytime soon. Power and ignorance. Scary stuff indeed.

That gentleman was a Jew born in Egypt, teaching in France visiting the US. I'm sure that alone was enough to make the border agent's head explode.

In a few year's time the border agents will be viewed like the TSA.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2914 by Isamorph
@JTSR71
"As a permanent resident, not a citizen, I've had to give thought about what happens when I decide to travel overseas and have to re-enter the country. My kids are at the age where they want to travel abroad themselves but the situation now is that they would have to be accompanied or I would have to have a lawyer on speed dial for their return."

What an uncertain mess. My son's wife has several relatives and inlaws in India who sometimes travel to the US, and now must worry about doing so. Her parents live in India and are also US citizens, but they are still worried about coming back to the US because of recent violent incidents. Lucky thing my son is a lawyer. The horror.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: JTSR71