Best kitchen cookware for <$100?

• PEW
  • PEW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
8 months 6 days ago #61 by PEW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 6 days ago #62 by KentE

Well, the $79 Instant Pot Duo is back!

www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-Pot-Duo-Crisp-and-Air-Fryer-6-Quart-11-in-1-One-Touch-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure-Cooker-with-Air-Fryer-Lid/283047909?

I wish these had been around a few years ago. We have an Instant Pot (that I'm afraid to use). I've been intrigued by Air Fryers, since it would enable me to ruin a meal in considerably less time than I can currently ruin one.

But, I can't justify replacing a perfectly good instant pot. Perhaps if I overcome my fear, use it, and break it, I could get one of these. (Assuming I could break it without blowing up the house....)

More
8 months 5 days ago #63 by Phoniac
Newbie-cook question for Nth members - if a stainless steel saucepan has a stainless steel handle, will it need to be handled with a pot-holder?

Like this pan here (www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-3-Quart-Covered-Sauce-Pan/14915145) - will the handle get hot if I boil water in the pot?

And does the knob on the lid get hot?

Thank you!

More
8 months 4 days ago #64 by Chelle

Oops I'm late re the cast iron skillet stories, but I humbly recommend anybody in the market check Goodwill -- they almost always have them.

I agree that Goodwill can be a treasure trove for quality cast iron.

Be sure to:

1) place it on a flat surface to ensure that the bottom hasn't become bowed. It's no fun cooking on a pan that rocks and heats unevenly.

2) rap your knuckle on the bottom and make sure it rings rather than thuds. Thuds mean that it's cracked and it can't be fixed.

3) Even if it rings, check it for cracks. There could be cracks in the side that don't prevent it from ringing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: uhthisb

More
8 months 4 days ago #65 by Chelle

Newbie-cook question for Nth members - if a stainless steel saucepan has a stainless steel handle, will it need to be handled with a pot-holder?

Like this pan here (www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-3-Quart-Covered-Sauce-Pan/14915145) - will the handle get hot if I boil water in the pot?

Thank you!

The knob will get hot before the handle will.

The handle will do a decent job of dumping heat as it accumulates.

If you boiled water for an extended time it would eventually get hot but probably not in the usual course of cooking a meal.

More
8 months 4 days ago - 8 months 4 days ago #66 by Chelle

Well, the $79 Instant Pot Duo is back!

www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-Pot-Duo-Crisp-and-Air-Fryer-6-Quart-11-in-1-One-Touch-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure-Cooker-with-Air-Fryer-Lid/283047909?

I wish these had been around a few years ago. We have an Instant Pot (that I'm afraid to use). I've been intrigued by Air Fryers, since it would enable me to ruin a meal in considerably less time than I can currently ruin one.

But, I can't justify replacing a perfectly good instant pot. Perhaps if I overcome my fear, use it, and break it, I could get one of these. (Assuming I could break it without blowing up the house....)

Instant Pots are microprocessor controlled and are practically goof proof as long as there's at least a half cup of liquid in it before you seal it.

Even if you forget, it will shut itself down.

As soon as the temperature gets above 250°F the Instant Pot knows that it's out of liquid and shuts down. It will not blow up.

Even the old stovetop pressure cookers were hard to blow up if you remembered to put some liquid in them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #67 by als

Thank you!

Usually not! I have been using my saute pan with metal handles since 2012 without thinking about potholders for the handles or lid unless I am pulling it out of the oven. Recently I got caught by surprise with unexpected guests and used it for a dark roux. I burnt the &$@# out my fingers when I grabbed it! BTW the smothered turkey necks in onion gravy got raves! It's Heresy cooking cooking a Cajun roux in a stainless saute pan but it sure worked!

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #68 by KentE
als, that sounds really good. I love Cajun roux, but not a clue how to make it.

• als
  • Smart Phone
  • Smart Phone
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #69 by als

als, that sounds really good. I love Cajun roux, but not a clue how to make it.

Ingredients:
Patience
Good company; Grandkids are the best. Family, friends and neighbors are great, music or singing to yourself will do in a pinch.
Time; About one hour for a Cajun dark roux: Now, there are various schools of thought on this. There are renowned Louisiana Chefs and many northerners (meaning anyone that lives above I-10) who pull together a wonderful, nutty smelling, velvety, dark chocolate colored roux together in twenty minutes.
Me, I'm into being 'in the zone' and going slowly so I can get the most out of the company, conversation, changing smell, color, texture and feel as the roux comes together.
Flat bottomed spoon
Well seasoned cast iron Dutch oven
One cup EACH oil and flour made into a dark roux will thicken about 6-8 cups of gumbo. (:) I'll use butter, poultry, pork or bacon fat for part or all of the oil depending on the dish that I  am making.)

Here are links to three masters of South Louisiana Cuisine for techniques.
www.gumbopages.com/food/ingred.html
www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2013/11/john-folse-on-making-a-roux.html
acadianatable.com/first-you-make-a-roux/

Read the book by Alice Walker,  Temple of my Familiar for a memorable roux and gumbo passage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE