The power of frugality

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #32910 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic The power of frugality
Frugal But Not Cheap

He may have not had a house with a view, but he had a vision. I don't know how much money he inherited from his parents, but the fact that he held on to it to benefit others is thoughtful. Duct tape is one of the best inventions since sliced bread.

www.npr.org/2018/12/29/680883772/social-worker-led-frugal-life-to-donate-nearly-11-million-to-childrens-charities
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Diedrich_Duo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #32911 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic The power of frugality
Always great to hear such acts of generosity. I remember one a while back about an old lady making a living mending people's clothes... she left a million or so for charity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #32914 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic The power of frugality

PEW wrote: Always great to hear such acts of generosity.

Indeed. I guess this gentleman realized you can't take it with you, so he decided to do something good (or in his case, great) that would make a difference in many people's lives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #32915 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic The power of frugality

Isamorph wrote: Duct tape is one of the best inventions since sliced bread.

Agreed, and how ironic it is, that in a way it was his sole source of support. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #32928 by Isamorph
I found it interesting this man donated to programs that he had first hand memorable good experiences with in the past, which makes good sense and was important to him.

"Naiman then wrote a letter to staff that explained why: One frantic night in the early days of his career at the Department of Social and Health Services, he was trying to find a home for a fragile baby. The center's ( Pediatric Interim Care Center ) founder came to his office to take the child."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Diedrich_Duo, unbeknownst to me

More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #37133 by Isamorph
Departed--But Not So Dearly

The frugal millionaire Mr. Brown may have made a fine priest had his life taken that path, but that would have entailed being around people, which would have seemingly gone against his nature. He was a strange bird who loved to have birds around. Yet in the end, it was all about his very distant family.

www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-04-27/the-mystery-of-the-millionaire-hermit
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: st3fx