Switching to Linux

More
1 year 3 months ago #29452 by 99-Mobile
Switching to Linux was created by 99-Mobile
I will soon be converting our Windows OS computers to Linux.

I’m about to download either Linux Mint 19 MATE or Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS onto a flash drive.

I was wondering if any of you with experience in this area would have any tips or recommendations before I proceed.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29453 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Switching to Linux

99-Mobile wrote: I will soon be converting our Windows OS computers to Linux.

I’m about to download either Linux Mint 19 MATE or Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS onto a flash drive.

I was wondering if any of you with experience in this area would have any tips or recommendations before I proceed.

Thanks!

I think either OS is a good choice, though I personally prefer Linux Mint 19 Mate. Are you going to dual boot with Windows? If so, be careful, for Windows sometimes doesn't play nice with other operating systems on the same PC. But it's been a while since I've done so, and maybe it's not longer an issue. Enjoy Linux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 99-Mobile

More
1 year 3 months ago #29467 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
I've been distro hopping for well...a very long time.
Around the time of Ubuntu 11.04 or 12.04 Linux became ready for prime time & I've gotten some of my friends who are devoutly non-techie very happily into being 100% Linux users with zero looking back needed.

I was not impressed with Mint - what it does mostly (IMO) is to take a lightweight start & bulk it up too much.

Presently I have Ubuntu Mate 18.04 set up with XP running in a VM for some apps that I could do without, but really like too much to just do away with - and it runs better as a guest OS than it ever did natively.

One great nicety about Ubuntu Mate is that it can easily be made to resemble the classic, ordinary desktop that so many folks have become comfortable with - which is the case with my 88 y/o friend as well as the 35 y/o friend - they love that it is so very trouble free and that they no longer have to pay the 'antivirus tax' as the older man always called it.

If you have some windows apps that you wish to keep using that aren't dependent upon excess stuff like dot net (I calls that dot krap...), it is also very easy to install & use wine to facilitate that usage.

Best Wishes - Enjoy your Linux Journey !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, 99-Mobile

More
1 year 3 months ago #29468 by 99-Mobile
Replied by 99-Mobile on topic Switching to Linux
Thanks much Isamorph and Extraterrestrial_Zoologist for your helpful posts!:) :)

Two points in particular made by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist have solidified my thinking:

1)“Presently I have Ubuntu Mate 18.04 set up with XP running in a VM for some apps that I could do without, but really like too much to just do away with - and it runs better as a guest OS than it ever did natively

2)“One great nicety about Ubuntu Mate is that it can easily be made to resemble the classic, ordinary desktop that so many folks have become comfortable with”

I’m going to buy an Ubuntu MATE 18.04.1 LTS pre- loaded flash drive (less than $20). It’ll be simpler and error free for a novice like me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph

More
1 year 3 months ago #29469 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Switching to Linux
My preference is Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop. It runs and feels very similar to Windows 7 which was, arguably, the best Windows version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, 99-Mobile

More
1 year 3 months ago #29470 by generousfox
Replied by generousfox on topic Switching to Linux
My personal choice would be elementary OS.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29471 by Isamorph

99-Mobile wrote: Thanks much Isamorph and Extraterrestrial_Zoologist for your helpful posts!:) :)

Two points in particular made by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist have solidified my thinking:

1)“Presently I have Ubuntu Mate 18.04 set up with XP running in a VM for some apps that I could do without, but really like too much to just do away with - and it runs better as a guest OS than it ever did natively

2)“One great nicety about Ubuntu Mate is that it can easily be made to resemble the classic, ordinary desktop that so many folks have become comfortable with”

I’m going to buy an Ubuntu MATE 18.04.1 LTS pre- loaded flash drive (less than $20). It’ll be simpler and error free for a novice like me.

It's not that difficult to download the iso image of Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1 to your computer and write or burn it to a flash drive and save yourself $$. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do so, and the Ubuntu Mate website probably has one. That said, if you buy, here's probably a good place:

www.osdisc.com/products/ubuntu ***If you have a dvd player on your pcs, you can install Ubuntu Mate with it. Only $5.95.

distrowatch.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, 99-Mobile

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29477 by 99-Mobile

Chelle wrote: My preference is Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop. It runs and feels very similar to Windows 7 which was, arguably, the best Windows version.

No argument here.

I think I’ll take Isamorph's advice and do the downloads myself. That way I can try a couple of distros without cost.

Thanks again to those who have posted here and contributed to my continuing education
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Isamorph

More
1 year 3 months ago #29499 by Isamorph

99-Mobile wrote: I will soon be converting our Windows OS computers to Linux.

Thanks!

Here is a good tool for burning or writing Linux OS images to a flash drive, and it works on Windows or Linux:
etcher.io/

More
1 year 3 months ago #29529 by 99-Mobile
Thanks for the tip/link Isamorph.:)

After I downloaded the distros I used Etcher to create the flash drives. All went smooth and easy.

When I have some quiet time to focus , I'll do some live boots and start exploring