Hot Deals

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
5 months 1 week ago #34128 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Hot Deals
www.costco.com/.product.1274430.html

I think this is a pretty good Chromebook deal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #34132 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Hot Deals
www.bestbuy.com/site/freedompop-basic-plan-lte-3-in-1-sim-card-kit/6187307.p?skuId=6187307

Freedompop LTE SIM 99 cents at Best Buy!
Pick up at store to avoid $5.49 shipping.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #34136 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic Hot Deals

PEW wrote: www.bestbuy.com/site/freedompop-basic-plan-lte-3-in-1-sim-card-kit/6187307.p?skuId=6187307

Freedompop LTE SIM 99 cents at Best Buy!
Pick up at store to avoid $5.49 shipping.

I still have 2 of these 99-cent SIMs that I picked up a year ago from Best Buy and never got around to activating - didn't want to get into extra charges from FreedomPop, and 200 (+50) mb data just didn't seem worth all the uncertainty that FP seemed to be creating at the time. Anyone know if things have settled down at FreedomPop now? There were threads on HoFo back then about getting charged an extra ten bucks for turning off top-up. Or maybe it was $10.99 instead of 99cents getting charged when you were activating the SIM, can't remember. I wonder what's happening with that now.

More
5 months 1 week ago #34137 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Hot Deals
I was a cheerleader for FP even after the rules started tightening up. I can no longer recommend them however.

I can't think of any potential customer who would be a good fit for them.

The rules are so numerous and complex that it's not worth messing with. And the monetary cost of a small mistake is potentially huge.

I would stay away. Friends don't let friends sign up for FreedomPop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, johnsmith

More
5 months 1 week ago #34138 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Hot Deals
Things never seem to settle down at FreedomPop, although the number of really irritated (and irritating) people discussing it has settled down quite a bit now that there is less free stuff to be upset about. (There are still legit reasons to be upset/concerned/worried.)
Great primer here: www.cranialborborygmus.com/freedompop-for-dummies.htm

Turning off auto-top-up now requires subscribing to Safety Mode at $6.99/month. Definitely not worth it, when you can buy the annual plan with 1gb (monthly) for around $4/month (pro-rated), which has no auto-top-up feature.
It's likely still possible to disable auto-top-up by paying for one month of Safety Mode, and then cancelling it. (One $6.99 fee.) This should not work to keep auto-top-up disabled, but it does at the last reports I've seen. (It could always go away, so it doesn't really remove the need to keep checking to see if it's disabled, which kind of defeats the purpose.....)

For a SIM purchased straight from FreedomPop, with free trials included, it'll cost $10 or $20 to move back to the free plan. (FP wants $20, directions for the process to do it for $10 in the linked site above).

You might not have to pay the downgrade deposit when activating a SIM purchased through Best Buy, Target, etc. This used to be true, but I've seen some reports that it now requires a $10 deposit. (It's mentioned in the CranialBorg link above, too). It's not clear whether it's an intended feature, or a broken activation process that charges you even though it shouldn't........

I can't say that I disagree with Chelle's advice when applied to the free plans. I still have mine, still get good use out of them. I'm over the big hurdles, and don't push the limits, though.
It's easier for me to recommend the 3-month or 12-month FreedomPop SIMs-- no credit card is needed, so the fear factor is greatly reduced.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #34139 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Hot Deals
Yes I think the annual 1gb plan is still worth it for $40-50. You don't have to add a credit card to that. Pair with a freeup sim in a dual sim phone that does dual 3g/4g.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sovashadow

More
5 months 1 week ago #34140 by sovashadow
Replied by sovashadow on topic Hot Deals

mmfacemm wrote: Yes I think the annual 1gb plan is still worth it for $40-50. You don't have to add a credit card to that. Pair with a freeup sim in a dual sim phone that does dual 3g/4g.

I agree with mmfacemm. I know FP has taken away the real perks like reasonable data in the free plan and cut the referral program drastically. However someone like me that uses truphone, and has a dual sim phone, I still recommend the 1GB annual for casual use outside of my unlimited data plan.

More
5 months 1 week ago #34143 by johnsmith
Replied by johnsmith on topic Hot Deals

Chelle wrote: I was a cheerleader for FP even after the rules started tightening up. I can no longer recommend them however.

I can't think of any potential customer who would be a good fit for them.

The rules are so numerous and complex that it's not worth messing with. And the monetary cost of a small mistake is potentially huge.

I would stay away. Friends don't let friends sign up for FreedomPop.

You are really quite thoughtful and articulate- I couldn't have said this better myself.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #34162 by PEW

More
5 months 4 days ago #34253 by TaylorMor
Replied by TaylorMor on topic Hot Deals
can this $10 phone work for Cellnuvo swiping?
8GB LG Rebel 2 TracFone Prepaid Smartphone (Refurb)
slickdeals.net/f/12818197-lg-rebel-2-l58vl-reconditioned-free-fedex-shipping-9-99#commentsBox