Hot Deals

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #25064 by sovashadow
Replied by sovashadow on topic Hot Deals

Isamorph wrote:

sovashadow wrote:

Isamorph wrote: Is this a good deal? Hot spot with cloud sim and dual sim slots--and unlocked.

www.techbargains.com/deal/449101/globalme-g3#d449101

Thank you for your post. If anyone were limited by their cell carrier to strictly their native country, especially if one is on CDMA in the US, I could see this as a decent deal. The only thing I question is when does the free 1GB expire? That would ultimately depend on if this is a great deal or not. Worst scenario if the data would expire within 30 days of recieving the device, you could buy it right before the trip and not worry about it expiring. Best case it expires in a year and you just prepaid pretty decent coverage wherever abroad.

The 1GB expires one year from when one starts using he data, according to the Amazon reviews an Q&A sites. After that, there are various plans one can buy from 30 days to one year. Someone mentioned it uses AT&T in USA.

Amazon Link: www.amazon.com/dp/B01DO02N2U

This is definitely a worthy mention, and again I have to thank your earlier post for giving me inspiration to keep digging for a better deal. Apparently there is an unlimited option of 2GB high-speed then 2G afterwards that also works many different regions. Amazon does have a $400 dollar option (Can be discounted to $360 at the moment) for the device along with the year of service. That means you would be paying max $33.33/mo for high speed 2GB then 2G GLOBALLY (I say worse case because you also have to factor in the cost of the device). It is really tempting to get this, but I am waiting until my business takes off to take the full advantage of using this.

EDIT and PSA: If anyone gets this, make sure your visiting regions have 2G though. I know that Australia and ATT USA got rid of 2G. Also who knows, maybe GlocalMe will allow 3G to be the new unlimited standard after 2G is globally extinct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• als
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #25455 by als
Replied by als on topic Hot Deals
Any thoughts on unlocked Moto g 4 32gb available from Motorola for $ 129.99.

www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Is it a good phone at a good price?
Is there anything better out there unlocked out of the box on all four carriers ready to use? new or used ?
thanks

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #25458 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic Hot Deals

als wrote: Any thoughts on unlocked Moto g 4 32gb available from Motorola for $ 129.99.

www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Is it a good phone at a good price?
Is there anything better out there unlocked out of the box on all four carriers ready to use? new or used ?
thanks

Hi, @als,
I bought the Moto G4 (16GB version) back in November, 2016, and it has been a great phone for my needs. It updated to 7.0 a while ago, but I don't think it will get any more updates (Oreo or later). And getting the 32 GB version for $129.99 sure beats what I paid for mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

More
8 months 1 week ago #25462 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Hot Deals
I would think it's a good deal, at about the going rate for a 16gb E4..
I have a G4 Play-- one step down. It excels at some things (great touch-screen response and accuracy for texting), and is very average at others (voice quality). Multi-carrier is what makes it worth the cost.

Very little competition in 4-carrier devices anywhere near the cost: the 16GB Moto E4 Amazon Prime version only beats the cost by $10 at normal price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, Diedrich_Duo

• Logan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #25463 by Logan
Replied by Logan on topic Hot Deals
The main downside of a phone that has been around for almost 2 years would be when would be the end of life for updates.

• als
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
8 months 1 week ago #25464 by als
Replied by als on topic Hot Deals
Thanks for all the great useful input (GRIN) Y'all consistently keep this forum my favorite place.
I see that there is no online payments included. is that a drawback , or is there an app for that?
Regarding no more updates, I stuck with xp till last year, nothing wrong with an operating system that just works.
Is that the case for the moto g4?
thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
8 months 1 week ago #25468 by Diedrich_Duo

als wrote: Regarding no more updates, I stuck with xp till last year, nothing wrong with an operating system that just works.
Is that the case for the moto g4?
thanks

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I haven't had any problems with my phone (no crashing, freezing, or slowing down except for throttled data, which isn't the phone's fault) for almost 18 months. And like you, I don't need the latest OS as long as what's on the phone is working. So far, so good for almost 18 months!

More
8 months 1 week ago #25471 by Diedrich_Duo

Logan wrote: The main downside of a phone that has been around for almost 2 years would be when would be the end of life for updates.

@Logan, pardon this "tech rookie" question, but are you referring to when Lenovo (Motorola's parent company) stops providing updates for this phone, or should I be worried that the updates they've already installed might someday go "kaput"?

More
8 months 1 week ago #25472 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Hot Deals
Once on your phone, the update won't go kaput. It won't go kaput even in the rare instance when you might wish it would. (i.e., if an update doesn't suit you.)

'End of life' just means no more future updates.
My daily phone is still on Android 5. My backup is on Android 4.4. Both work fine in my low-risk, low-demand application.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
8 months 1 week ago #25475 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Hot Deals

KentE wrote: 'End of life' just means no more future updates.
My daily phone is still on Android 5. My backup is on Android 4.4. Both work fine in my low-risk, low-demand application.

Really comes down to whether you care about security updates or not.