Does anyone have an extra freeup free plan?

More
1 week 4 days ago #42826 by KentE
Black Wireless is owned by Red Pocket. For the most part, their plans are similar except that Black doesn't do the ebay & Amazon annual plans. The straight PayGo is another Black-only offering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #42827 by tech-stitch
For FP, I have found the VoIP service works best with "newer" phones. I have tested and found the quality to be very close (rarely issues) to a regular phone using their AT&T SIM and the following devices:
Apple iPhone 5S, SE, 6, and 6S (software and calls seems to work on point with any iPhone),
Moto G7 Power, TracFone Stylo 4 (yep that thing that everyone bashes on the SD forums for being a supposed lag monster), Metro Stylo 4 (same thing but more internal memory), and a LG Q7+ (Metro). Now, stay away from the Sprint network for the VoIP calls, you will not like the experience unless you are on a city with perfect signal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #42828 by KentE
My experience with FreedomPop VoIP was also that it was highly phone dependent. It was some years ago, but my very cheap FreedomPop LG F3 (Sprint) worked just fine for voice quality. Outgoing calls were reliable if I had strong LTE, but incoming calls not so much. (I think my phone only had one LTE band, though.)

At about the same time, there was a lot of discussion about unacceptable VoIP performance from (I think) the Moto E2 that FreedomPop also sold. The suspicion was that the issue had to do with the voice level set internally by the phone to feed the VoIP line. Too hot, and voice was badly distorted. (The Moto problem.) Too low, and you were hard to hear. Unfortunately, this setting is not user accessible, at least without root.

I've seen other reports repeating tech-stitch's experience that FP VoIP is much better with the AT&T SIMs than it was with Sprint service.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #42829 by tech-stitch
Yep, the LG Volt is another example of a phone that was too much trouble for FP. Making adjustments via root helped but still. No problems using that phone with native service.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #42830 by KentE

tech-stitch wrote: Yep, the LG Volt is another example of a phone that was too much trouble for FP. Making adjustments via root helped but still. No problems using that phone with native service.


Thanks for the memory jog! It was probably the Volt rather than the MotoE2 I was thinking of.

The problem with that particular phone seemed to highlight a problem that likely occurrs on many devices. It was easier to dig into specifics on the Volt because it was very much a known quantity on traditional cellular use, and FreedomPop was selling them-- so there was a large enough user base in the exact same situation to make investigating worthwhile and productive. It was a good example of crowd-sourced knowledge and learning, since FreedomPop wasn't particularly interested in following up or in vetting the phone for usability in the first place. 'Community' at it's best!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #42831 by ceka
I'm sensitive to latency. I use Google Voice on Hangouts (VOIP) for my primary voice communication. When I was using forwarding for GV number, I was experiencing latency that bothered me. Ever since I switched to Hangouts, I'm much happier, and I'm not looking back. Because of how I use data (VOIP), I avoid services that use separate dedicated servers. That, depending on your geographical location versus the location of servers, introduces higher ping (latency). AT&T Fredompop's SIM, Visible, or Cricket are the ones doing that, that I'm aware of. For VOIP, not all apps are equal, and not all phones are equal. For that reason, for me, Hangouts on my little iPhone SE and (not so little) LG V30 works perfectly, while on LG Volt, Moto E2 and LG Tribute HD is unusable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #42834 by johnsmith

ceka wrote: I'm very partial to latency. I use Google Voice on Hangouts (VOIP) for my primary voice communication. When I was using forwarding for GV number, I was experiencing latency that bothered me. Ever since I switched to Hangouts, I'm much happier, and I'm not looking back. Because of how I use data (VOIP), I avoid services that use separate dedicated servers. That, depending on your geographical location versus the location of servers, introduces higher ping (latency). AT&T Fredompop's SIM, Visible, or Cricket are the ones doing that, that I'm aware of. For VOIP, not all apps are equal, and not all phones are equal. For that reason, for me, Hangouts on my little iPhone SE and (not so little) LG V30 works perfectly, while on LG Volt, Moto E2 and LG Tribute HD is unusable.

I agree with everything you said with one exception: when you say "I'm very partial to latency." that means that you have a (strong) fondness or preference for it. You meant the opposite.
You might want to try the GV app on your SE as well , remember to choose "Prefer WiFi and mobile data" under Settings/"Make and Receive Calls". The only functionality that I miss on GV is initiating conference calls natively, you can accept multiple inbound calls to "host" one though. I always use www.freeconferencecall.com/ at that point if everyone is not already on WhatsApp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ceka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #42836 by ceka

johnsmith wrote:

ceka wrote: I'm very partial to latency. I use Google Voice on Hangouts (VOIP) for my primary voice communication. When I was using forwarding for GV number, I was experiencing latency that bothered me. Ever since I switched to Hangouts, I'm much happier, and I'm not looking back. Because of how I use data (VOIP), I avoid services that use separate dedicated servers. That, depending on your geographical location versus the location of servers, introduces higher ping (latency). AT&T Fredompop's SIM, Visible, or Cricket are the ones doing that, that I'm aware of. For VOIP, not all apps are equal, and not all phones are equal. For that reason, for me, Hangouts on my little iPhone SE and (not so little) LG V30 works perfectly, while on LG Volt, Moto E2 and LG Tribute HD is unusable.

I agree with everything you said with one exception: when you say "I'm very partial to latency." that means that you have a (strong) fondness or preference for it. You meant the opposite.
You might want to try the GV app on your SE as well , remember to choose "Prefer WiFi and mobile data" under Settings/"Make and Receive Calls". The only functionality that I miss on GV is initiating conference calls natively, you can accept multiple inbound calls to "host" one though. I always use www.freeconferencecall.com/ at that point if everyone is not already on WhatsApp.

Yeah, I love latency :) Sorry, English is my second language. Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it! I changed it, and I hope it makes more sense now.

I'm aware of the GV app. I think I tried it for voice, but there were issues with messaging... (?) In Hangouts the only restriction I have is sending video messages, which I don't, but I receive them often, and that part works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #42837 by redrotors
Isn't hangouts being EOL'ed by G at some point this year?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #42839 by ceka

redrotors wrote: Isn't hangouts being EOL'ed by G at some point this year?

The rumors I've heard were about transitioning it to a different use...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.